Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Print
Normal Topic The 26" to 650B conversion thread... (Read 1177 times)
Banjopickin
Big Ring

Spinnin' knees & Hittin'
trees since '85

The 26" to 650B conversion thread...
06/24/13 at 12:41am
Print Post  

Is it possible? MTBR and other mtn. bike forums have unanimously agreed that...maybe?  Huh

It seems that on a FS bike you'd have to worry about the wheel interfering with the seat tube/bottom bracket shell when the shock is compressed. Also, the front wheel could get crammed into the fork crown when fully compressed. But what about on a hardtail? I read that it all depends on geometry, tires, and fork. Also, since 650B forks are new(aka $$$) could certain 26" forks work if they have enough clearance? Thoughts and opinions?

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links) (Attachment deleted)

Advocat wrote on 08/22/13 at 5:16pm:
...packin some Chub in the back of the pick-up.

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

IP Logged

twinsdad
Ex Member

Re: The 26" to 650B conversion thread...
Reply #1 - 06/24/13 at 12:56am
Print Post  
I know t works o Surly 1x1 with a stock Surly fork...Did it myself about 3 yrs ago...It was a pretty sweet ride.....Plenty of clearance on that frame....I used Sun Ringle eq27 rims with Surly singlespeed hubs and a White Industries Dos Eno freewheel....
« Last Edit: 06/24/13 at 12:59am by »  
(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links) (Attachment deleted)

IP Logged

phattire
Little Ring

Work Ride Tarheel Trailblazers

Reply #2 - 06/24/13 at 12:57am
Print Post  
Both a 26 Fox Float and Talas work fine with a tweener!

MY GRASS IS BLUE!

IP Logged

JR
Big Ring

Reply #3 - 06/24/13 at 2:07am
Print Post  

A growing number of 26" forks have been tested to find that they work with a 650b wheel. 

Since I'm a Rockshox fanboy, I can say that the Lyrik, Pike (classic), Psylo, Duke, and the Argyle (especially the new RCT) can safely run a 650b wheel through those forks. 

What I like about Rockshox, is that you can pull up the User Specification CAD drawings for all the forks and look at the maximum tire size dimension listed.  A 650b wheel is typicially 698.5mm OD so use that in your decision makings. 

I'd also check out the X Fusion Vengeance as you can set it up for both 26 and 650b wheels with a different internal spacer I believe...
« Last Edit: 06/24/13 at 2:08am by JR »  

"Don't rely on those who won't try"

IP Logged

hudsontp
Big Ring

Reply #4 - 06/24/13 at 11:16am
Print Post  
Banjo... Youve seen my on one 456c several times (albeit at nite rides)... 650b on a 26" frame and ive been running it for well over a year... Let me know if you want to ride sometime and you can try out my version (although my bike has not still fully recovered from pmbar)..

IP Logged

Banjopickin
Big Ring

Spinnin' knees & Hittin'
trees since '85

Reply #5 - 06/24/13 at 1:26pm
Print Post  
Thanks Hudosn, I might take you up on that. The bike is going to be for my girlfriend though. I can get a 26" frame that can be used for 650B for super cheap and figured I'd build her a bike with used parts I have lying around. Wheels, 100mm-120mm fork, and a 1x10 drive train would be all I'd really need. If anyone has stuff they'd let go for cheap give me a holler.

Even though the bike is for her, I see a 650B all mountain SS in my near future... Cheesy
« Last Edit: 06/24/13 at 1:28pm by Banjopickin »  

Advocat wrote on 08/22/13 at 5:16pm:
...packin some Chub in the back of the pick-up.

IP Logged

hudsontp
Big Ring

Reply #6 - 06/24/13 at 1:32pm
Print Post  
If you find a cheap frame you're welcome to test fit my wheels... your best bet for a fork would be a fox... they tend to have much better clearance... I ran the fork that mills (stoke) now has...and I think he is selling it... for a few months and it has tons more clearance than my revelation...

IP Logged

StumpeyCanuck
Coaster Bike

I Love YaBB 2!

Reply #7 - 06/26/13 at 10:05pm
Print Post  
I converted a 2010 Stumpjumper FSR to 650b and I absolutely love it.  Running a Fox Float fork...no clearance issues with a 2.3 NeoMoto or 2.25 Ardent, although the Ardent gets pretty darn close.  Was about to buy a RockShox Revelation, but the 650b would not fit.  I'm a bit limited in rear tire choices due to frame clearance at the top of the rear triangle.  Best success was with a 2.1 Nevegal or 2.1 Crossmark.

Have a buddy who converted a 2011 Remedy...no clearance issues at all.

IP Logged

JR
Big Ring

Reply #8 - 06/27/13 at 12:35am
Print Post  
I just got some Maxxis High Roller II's (2.4) to clear the Lyrik, all of 0.5mm clearance...

The 27.5 x 2.35 Nevegals clear with no issue. 
I second the 2.25 Ardents clear, but barely. 

I also have a set of 2.25 Kenda Honey Badgers coming courtesy of Kenda.
Kenda says they run wider more towards 2.3's. 
looks to be their new tread design...

"Don't rely on those who won't try"

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Print