Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Print
Normal Topic XX1 Chainrings 1x10 (Read 439 times)
PainkillerSPE
Big Ring

XX1 Chainrings 1x10
07/13/13 at 8:16pm
Print Post  
Just converted my bike to a 1x10 using a XX1 spider and 34 tooth XX1 chainring.  I decided to go with XX1 over the other wide-narrow chainrings for the simplicity and ease of changing out chaining sizes.  Dropping down to a 30 tooth for Pisgah rides,

A 10 speed chain works beautifully with the XX1 chainrings, no compatibility problems at all.   I'm not running a chain guide either. Removing the front shifter, derailleur, cables, housing, and chainrings dropped a full pound off the bike!  Cheesy

I had a good 23 mile ride on it today and was amazed by how much quieter it made my bike.  No chain slap or noises from the chain at all.  No dropped chains and the rear shifting is spot on.   

if your have a type 2 or Shadow Plus Rear derailleur and are thinking about or running 1X10; I would pick up a wide-narrow chainring (XX1, wolf tooth, race face) in a heart beat. It's a game changer.  I wish I had done this sooner.  Thanks to Mark at Cycle Path (my voice mail always transcribes it as Psychopath) for installing and setting everything up.

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links) (Attachment deleted)

rob wrote on 05/01/12 at 6:01pm:
Shearing the shaft member after a hard ride is acceptable in my book.

IP Logged

DursRemote
Coaster Bike

Work Ride Tarheel Trailblazers

Re: XX1 Chainrings 1x10
Reply #1 - 07/13/13 at 10:51pm
Print Post  
I've been running both my bikes as 1x10 using wolf tooth chainrings, with no chain guides. I've had the same experience, silent operation with no problems. I did try for a couple rides with my old X9 derailleur, non clutch type, and it did drop the chain when going through rough sections. Now both bikes have clutch derailleurs and all is well.

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links) (Attachment deleted)

IP Logged

TwoNeener
Small Cog

Root Master

Re: XX1 Chainrings 1x10
Reply #2 - 07/13/13 at 11:25pm
Print Post  
I put the XX1 crank on this spring and have been running things 1x10 ever since.  I've been very impressed and haven't dropped a chain once.  Have been using a normal XO derailleur too.

I was very happy to get rid of the front derailleur, shifter, and the housing.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Print