Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Print
Normal Topic Full Suspension---Buy Frame, or Whole Package (Read 692 times)
whiteMTN

Work Ride Tarheel Trailblazers

Full Suspension---Buy Frame, or Whole Package
07/17/13 at 7:42pm
Print Post  
I have a brand new 2013 29r hardtail with sramX7(2x10) components, air fork, tektra hydraulic brakes, etc....pretty good stuff. While I let the bank account recover for a year, I plan on buying a full suspension (liking the Scott 740-720 650b). Do you think it is more beneficial to buy that bike used next year, or to buy just a frame and rebuild it with the components from my hardtail? What problems will i face trying to make the ocmponents work on a full suspension 650b frame. Im sure this is a very newbie question, but thats what I am!

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links) (Attachment deleted)

IP Logged

Screaming Knees
Big Ring

Re: Full Suspension---Buy Frame, or Whole Package
Reply #1 - 07/17/13 at 7:49pm
Print Post  
You'll have to replace your fork and wheels/tires right off the bat. 

If you are switching wheel sizes, I'd just sell your's and by a used complete bike. They should be easier to find next year as people start to offload 2013s to get a 2014.

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links) (Attachment deleted)

A mountain biker that doesn't ride a road bike has no legs, A road biker that doesn't ride the mountain bike has no soul.

IP Logged

Yellowduck
Big Ring

Reply #2 - 07/17/13 at 8:23pm
Print Post  
Possibly the crank also depending on what kind of bottom bracket you have now vs what you will need.

"Riding skinny is too easy"
-MB
IP Logged

FireAnthem
Little Ring

Reply #3 - 07/18/13 at 5:06am
Print Post  
ive done it both ways, and it really depends on what kind of deals you can find at the time. Several years back when i was in college, i bought a brand new Giant Anthem frame off Ebay for a steal, like 400ish if i remember right. At the time i could get a pretty good discount from a local shop so i was able to order all the parts for it new other than some odds and ends i had from another build. So i was still able to make a good bit of money when i sold the bike that way.

Now, had i not been able to save so much on the new components it would have been cheaper in the long run to find a good condition used bike with upgraded components. IMO since you have a year to wait, start looking around for deals and be patient enough to find a good deal. Good luck!

Anthem Build in Progress, to be finished sooner than later =)

IP Logged

TwoNeener
Small Cog

Root Master

Reply #4 - 07/18/13 at 5:09pm
Print Post  
If you're switching wheel sizes I would just go with a complete bike option.  The price of the fork and new wheels/tires will add up quick.

Regarding the Scott specifically, it usually has all of those remote activated controls for the shock and fork, so amazing deals you may find on forks may not really work if you are working with just the Scott frame.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Print