Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5 Print
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) How many days has LNSP been open since June? (Read 8055 times)
808golden
Little Ring

More beer, please!

How many days has LNSP been open since June?
08/14/13 at 5:32pm
Print Post  
I know I know, the park has been closed for really really really good reasons, I'm just curious.  How many days has the park been open to ride this summer (not including posting "open" for an hour or so then shutting down.  As some people just get there, ahem.)? I'm guessing 10?  Huh

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links) (Attachment deleted)

IP Logged

Vasco
Global Moderator
In The Loop
Project Board

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Re: How many days has LNSP been open since June?
Reply #1 - 08/14/13 at 6:23pm
Print Post  
Sometime you open the trail and then it rains. What are they to do when that happens? They could have left it closed because it looked like rain. Then if it didn't rain people would be mad because it should have been open. Different parts of town get different amounts of rain or no rain at all. What ever they do I'm sure it's wrong to someone.
Doug S.

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links) (Attachment deleted)

Spelling and grammatical errors are beyond my control it's the way I wired.

IP Logged

808golden
Little Ring

More beer, please!

Reply #2 - 08/14/13 at 10:10pm
Print Post  
Easy now, I thought that first sentence would have deflected any bummer feelings.  I'm seriously curious as to how many days the park has actually been open.  Figured someone would know. 

And OF COURSE [i]somebody[i] is gonna be upset about something. I think I'm doing quite well with keeping it together and all.  I'm not going nuts or anything. I mean not really. Seriously. Kind of. Okay, you got me. I'm over it. Can't take it anymore...must go to...Fisher. Must spin...on...diiiiiirt...ehhhh. Cheesy

IP Logged

TwoNeener
Small Cog

Root Master

Reply #3 - 08/15/13 at 1:42am
Print Post  
808golden wrote on 08/14/13 at 10:10pm:
Easy now, I thought that first sentence would have deflected any bummer feelings.  I'm seriously curious as to how many days the park has actually been open.  Figured someone would know. 

And OF COURSE [i]somebody[i] is gonna be upset about something. I think I'm doing quite well with keeping it together and all.  I'm not going nuts or anything. I mean not really. Seriously. Kind of. Okay, you got me. I'm over it. Can't take it anymore...must go to...Fisher. Must spin...on...diiiiiirt...ehhhh. Cheesy

It's an interesting question that's underscored by the fact that the other trails that are listed on the homepage have all been open for quite a while now and LNSP has not.

IP Logged

Impaler 58
Big Ring

Reply #4 - 08/15/13 at 1:44am
Print Post  
The reason a trail exists at LNSP is because of an agreement between the club and the park to have volunteers build and maintain the trail. It seem that more volunteers are needed to maintain the trail on a more regular basis. Then maybe we can establish a relationship with the park management to open the trail sooner after rain events.  Smiley

GTalk  
IP Logged

BigBikeMike
Project Board

Work Ride Tarheel Trailblazers

Reply #5 - 08/15/13 at 3:00am
Print Post  
Hey Hippy, I have been trying to keep up with the maint. on the trails at LNSP, but it is more than one old man can handle. We had a meeting last week about doing workdays and possibly giving a section of trail or a loop to a volunteer to do the Maint. I hope we can get some people that ride to help us with this project.
As for the trail closings, this has been the wettest summer ever! The trails were open when they should have been closed. NM got hit hard and the rider wouldn't stay off the trail. I just got the trail rideable again and am continuing to work on a few areas that need firming up. Seems as if it's too much rain or not enough.

IP Logged

808golden
Little Ring

More beer, please!

Reply #6 - 08/15/13 at 10:43am
Print Post  
You do a great job Mike!  Keep us posted if you set up the volunteer workers loop. The reason those trails are so buff is because of the hard work you guys do and because the trails stay closed when rain kicks in. It will dry up here some time... Smiley

IP Logged

PBR Tallboy
Little Ring

I think the answer is.....BACON!

Reply #7 - 08/15/13 at 12:56pm
Print Post  
Really hopeful LNSP opens today! I plan to ride after work. I love that place.

~Rides bikes for fun

IP Logged

mtbchk
Forum Administrator

rocks are good

Reply #8 - 08/15/13 at 1:58pm
Print Post  
I don't know the answer to the original question, but I work very close to LNSP (as the osprey flies...), and it seems like they have their own weather system over there.  I'll hear thunder at work, but we never get the rain.  I'll look at the radar to see if I need to head toward the car (it's usually around 4 or 5 when the storms hit), and it seems like it always misses us and goes right over LNSP.

I do remember one week during which the trails were open for at least 4 or 5 days straight.  I got a couple of rides in that week.  Also, I camped there with my 4-year old for a couple of nights back in June and we didn't get any rain then, either -- trails were open then, too.

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)
IP Logged

Tracker

Working on 3rd childhood

Reply #9 - 08/15/13 at 3:01pm
Print Post  
mtbchk wrote on 08/15/13 at 1:58pm:
I don't know the answer to the original question, but I work very close to LNSP (as the osprey flies...), and it seems like they have their own weather system over there.  I'll hear thunder at work, but we never get the rain.  I'll look at the radar to see if I need to head toward the car (it's usually around 4 or 5 when the storms hit), and it seems like it always misses us and goes right over LNSP.

I do remember one week during which the trails were open for at least 4 or 5 days straight.  I got a couple of rides in that week.  Also, I camped there with my 4-year old for a couple of nights back in June and we didn't get any rain then, either -- trails were open then, too.

+1
I work at 77, exit 36 and I don't know how many days I've seen a dark red blob monster on the radar go directly over LNSP and miss me entirely, and it always seems to rear its head around 1600 hrs. Angry

Help Somebody Help Themselves: (You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)
IP Logged

JT3
Coaster Bike

Reply #10 - 08/15/13 at 3:36pm
Print Post  
I live in the park and the challenge we have had the last few weeks is late afternoon rain. Comes on quick and rains hard enough to soak everything. An hour later its gone and clear. But the ground has been so soaked, its not drying fast enough. 

Id bet they get open today. but looking at the forecast it will be brief again.  Sad

peddle faster, I heard banjo music!

IP Logged

Impaler 58
Big Ring

Reply #11 - 08/15/13 at 7:55pm
Print Post  
I also work near the trail, and pass State Park road on the way going and coming from work. I pass it about 5:15 Monday - Friday. Last week when the trail was opened, I hit a downpour on Perth road. I took the chance and hit the state park. The rain never got there. So the park does not always get the rain. Don't know what that means, but just thought I would mention it. Also ,I have been on the trail when a downpour hits, and the folidge keeps the bulk of the rain from hitting the ground. So if you were riding on a dry trail, then the trail is slightly lesser then damp. With all the rain we have had this summer, it should be like a umbrella. I sould get the ranger to go out with me before a storm to show just how much rain it doesn't get. BigBikeMike. I sat next to you at that meeting(for som reason I thought you was a big guy). I said I would be willing to participate in maintaining. But I don't want to work on a trail that I can't ride or only ride part of the time. Anyways, let me know your thoughts. Thanks for your work Mike.

GTalk  
IP Logged

Jbird

Reply #12 - 08/15/13 at 9:44pm
Print Post  
I'm new to the forum. I live in North Myrtle Beach but my works home office is in Mooresville. I got the privilege to ride LNSP last summer. Love the trail system. I'll be up that way this coming Monday and I was hoping to get an afternoon ride in. Reading this post and looking at the weather forecast.... doesn't look good  Cry

Are there any other trails in that area that would be worth me bringing the MTB for? If not, I may bring the road bike instead.

Thanks!
Jay

IP Logged

Impaler 58
Big Ring

Reply #13 - 08/15/13 at 11:20pm
Print Post  
Kerr Scott Trails Cheesy

GTalk  
IP Logged

mtbchk
Forum Administrator

rocks are good

Reply #14 - 08/16/13 at 12:11am
Print Post  
Jbird wrote on 08/15/13 at 9:44pm:
I'm new to the forum. I live in North Myrtle Beach but my works home office is in Mooresville. I got the privilege to ride LNSP last summer. Love the trail system. I'll be up that way this coming Monday and I was hoping to get an afternoon ride in. Reading this post and looking at the weather forecast.... doesn't look good  Cry

Are there any other trails in that area that would be worth me bringing the MTB for? If not, I may bring the road bike instead.

Thanks!
Jay

Kerr Scott/Warrior Creek if you have time to drive a little. Fisher Farm in Davidson if you need to stay closer to M'ville.

IP Logged

BigBikeMike
Project Board

Reply #15 - 08/16/13 at 1:39am
Print Post  
Hey Hippy, I'm just a little squirt, but I ride a 40 pound DH bike and that's why they call me Big Bike Mike. I wished you would have introduced yourself. I hope you guys and gals get a chance to ride before the rain comes back!

IP Logged

Impaler 58
Big Ring

Reply #16 - 08/16/13 at 10:51am
Print Post  
If the moisture continues into the colder weather, the wildlife loops would make a great cross country ski trail. Wide enough for both a freestyle(skating) and classic trails. Now that would be great Smiley

GTalk  
IP Logged

DrewK
Small Cog

Reply #17 - 08/16/13 at 11:20am
Print Post  
Rode Laurel and Wildlife (all loops) last night.  A few slop holes, but for the most part it was in great shape.  Thanks for all the effort Mike, please let us all know once you get a work day sorted out and we can help make it better!

IP Logged

Impaler 58
Big Ring

Reply #18 - 08/16/13 at 7:06pm
Print Post  
DrewK wrote on 08/16/13 at 11:20am:
Rode Laurel and Wildlife (all loops) last night.  A few slop holes, but for the most part it was in great shape.  Thanks for all the effort Mike, please let us all know once you get a work day sorted out and we can help make it better!
I believe that they are currently looking for folks to take a section of trail to do regular maintenance opposed to single work days. Just like Mike does. It's a lot for one person. Volunteer to help Mike out on a regular basis 
« Last Edit: 08/16/13 at 7:07pm by Impaler 58 »  
GTalk  
IP Logged

firstflight
Big Ring

FirstFlightBikes.com

Reply #19 - 08/19/13 at 12:12am
Print Post  
When I compiled some of the trail use numbers for lost year, I went back into the Yahoo group emails and figured out how many days the trail had been closed last year.  Almost every month had 12-14 closed days.......and that was when it was drier.  When I compile the (non) user numbers for the past couple of months, I will do the days open as well.  Probably won't be big user numbers for the past couple of months.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5
Print