Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Print
Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) RRT on Christmas Eve? (Read 1794 times)
Caudill

Work Ride Tarheel Trailblazers

RRT on Christmas Eve?
12/24/13 at 1:20pm
Print Post  
Is it ok to ride there?  Just curious.

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links) (Attachment deleted)

IP Logged

Watcher
Little Ring

I Love YaBB 2!

Re: RRT on Christmas Eve?
Reply #1 - 12/24/13 at 2:13pm
Print Post  
Haven't been out today to check but with 2.75" of rain the river hitting about 19' which is a few feet above flood. Average level before rain was about 2'. I suggest giving it another day then you will likely need to use the wet bypasses. Now with the ground nice and saturated the freeze thaw later in week will be pretty ugly on all the local trails. I'll look around later and post an update if any changes.

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links) (Attachment deleted)

Time you enjoy wasting, is not wasted time.

IP Logged

KitJ BBQman
Big Ring

This is gonna hurt!

Reply #2 - 12/24/13 at 2:57pm
Print Post  
Yea, I'd say we are probably screwed out of luck for the next month to two months based on this rain and the current forecast of dipping just below freezing for the foreseeable forecast. I looks like early morning frozen trail rides might be the only way to get in some rides for a little while.

On that note, do the Trail Coordinators think that we maybe able to open some of the locked trails, i.e. Sherman Branch, in the mornings while the trail is still frozen?
« Last Edit: 12/24/13 at 3:08pm by KitJ BBQman »  

I used to ride; now I just drink and cry about not riding.
AIM  
IP Logged

Natedilla
Small Cog

Reply #3 - 12/24/13 at 4:38pm
Print Post  
Watcher wrote on 12/24/13 at 2:13pm:
Haven't been out today to check but with 2.75" of rain the river hitting about 19' which is a few feet above flood. Average level before rain was about 2'. I suggest giving it another day then you will likely need to use the wet bypasses. Now with the ground nice and saturated the freeze thaw later in week will be pretty ugly on all the local trails. I'll look around later and post an update if any changes.

wait..water levels went from 2 feet to 19 feet?  Cheesy whoa seriously??

IP Logged

MountainCycle
Big Ring

Unelite p***^. Heartbreak
lover.

Reply #4 - 12/24/13 at 5:24pm
Print Post  
From my experience on Sunday prior to more rain. It needs awhile unless you consider slipping and pushing up stairway fun.

HotpinkHarorigidSpecializedEnduroFSRMountainCycleSanAndreasGaryFisherCobiaTrekSuperflyEliteCanfieldbrothersyelliscreamySantaCruzSuperlight29SurlyPugs nother'YelliScreamySalsaTimberjackYTJeffsy27

IP Logged

Watcher
Little Ring

I Love YaBB 2!

Reply #5 - 12/24/13 at 6:28pm
Print Post  
(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

Yeah the level on the river does pretty major swings. 

Checked it out around noon most of the trail would be ok to ride. Maybe better today than after the thaw that will come in the morning over the next couple days. The wet area bypasses are a must as the flood moved two bridges and it will be super slick for quite a while in those areas.

IP Logged

The Cycle Path
IB Room
In The Loop
Project Board

Treasurer '11 to '18.
Trail Chair '12-'18,
'20-'21

Reply #6 - 12/24/13 at 6:59pm
Print Post  
KitJ BBQman wrote on 12/24/13 at 2:57pm:
Yea, I'd say we are probably screwed out of luck for the next month to two months based on this rain and the current forecast of dipping just below freezing for the foreseeable forecast. I looks like early morning frozen trail rides might be the only way to get in some rides for a little while.

On that note, do the Trail Coordinators think that we maybe able to open some of the locked trails, i.e. Sherman Branch, in the mornings while the trail is still frozen?

Give Fisher a few freezing nights and it'll be good for a morning "freeze" ride.

We carry the finest from Specialized, Yeti, Transition, and Kona.
IP Logged

KitJ BBQman
Big Ring

This is gonna hurt!

Reply #7 - 12/24/13 at 7:06pm
Print Post  
The Cycle Path wrote on 12/24/13 at 6:59pm:

Give Fisher a few freezing nights and it'll be good for a morning "freeze" ride.

With two weeks off of work, I just might have to make the trek northward for the FF Freeze ride. 

Smiley
(that's for you Mark!)

I used to ride; now I just drink and cry about not riding.
AIM  
IP Logged

BigBikeMike
Project Board

Reply #8 - 12/25/13 at 12:09am
Print Post  
I checked NM this morning, cleared some drains and other than water running down the trail in a few places, it's in good shape. The freezing temps tonight could make a difference. I live close to NM and my rain gauge had 4.25" of rain in it when I checked it today.

IP Logged

Caudill

Reply #9 - 12/26/13 at 12:18am
Print Post  
Merry Christmas!  Based on this the feedback it looks like I could ride there tomorrow, just use the bypasses to avoid the real wet places.

Is that correct?

IP Logged

Watcher
Little Ring

I Love YaBB 2!

Reply #10 - 12/26/13 at 11:14am
Print Post  
That's correct. 

I'll try and get the two bridges back in place this morning. You wouldn't want to ride through those pieces unless it's frozen anyway since they have the slime effect from being submerged for a few hours. Anyone see any trees down post or drop a note in the box with location.

IP Logged

cmowery3
Big Ring

I wanna ride!

Reply #11 - 12/27/13 at 3:31am
Print Post  
Rod & I rode today about noon & it was good.  Took the first by pass only, on the advice of someone finishing up.  But had no trouble with anything else.   Third ride here In a little over a week.  Thanks Steve!
« Last Edit: 12/27/13 at 3:31am by cmowery3 »  

Ride & Smile...

IP Logged

Watcher
Little Ring

I Love YaBB 2!

Reply #12 - 12/27/13 at 11:18am
Print Post  
Thanks Cathi for the trail report.

I did get those bridges back in place in time. Also cut out a tree I saw that had fallen. Parts Thursday afternoon were getting the grey color back. I started benching some of the hillside just after the Viaduct exit. 

Thanks everyone.

IP Logged

kentknudsen92

Reply #13 - 12/28/13 at 3:17am
Print Post  
Hi Steve, 

Trail was great today. Alex and I took both wet by passes and all was dry.

Not sure if the tree you found was about 5.5miles in, right before the "down to ski run". Tree is right below the shed on top of the hill.

As always, thanks for all the hard work that goes into this trail.

Kent

IP Logged

Watcher
Little Ring

I Love YaBB 2!

Reply #14 - 12/28/13 at 11:30am
Print Post  
Unfortunately that is not the one I cut out. I'll try to get it early this morn. Thanks for the location.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Print