Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5  Print
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) How many days has LNSP been open since June? (Read 8090 times)
boilerdown

Re: How many days has LNSP been open since June?
Reply #40 - 09/02/13 at 1:15am
Print Post  
Came back for more this afternoon, rode the full Laurel loop, then hit Hawk + Norwood.  I ran into a couple of small downed trees on Norwood.  More experienced riders can probably jump them, I cannot  Grin  

I would have tried to move them or take note of the location but it was lightning and raining at that point and I was hauling to get out of there.  Love this trail system even though it's 40mi from home!

Quick question, can I get to Wildlife, Fox, and Fallstown via Wildlife Rd or do I have to ride all the way through Laurel to get there and then back?

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links) (Attachment deleted)

IP Logged

JimShoe
Big Ring

Reply #41 - 09/02/13 at 1:25am
Print Post  
Finally got to ride Lake Norman last Thursday. First time in over a year. I usually ride it going to or from Ohio and Virginia but it has been pretty much closed each time I've gone by. With that said I want to thank EVERYBODY for all the excellent work that was done on all the new trails. It reminded me a lot of FATS and was an absolute joy to ride. THANK YOU EVERYONE  Smiley

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links) (Attachment deleted)

When the government takes responsibility for the people, the people will no longer take responsibility for themselves

IP Logged

DrewK
Small Cog

Work Ride Tarheel Trailblazers

Reply #42 - 09/02/13 at 1:44am
Print Post  
boilerdown wrote on 09/02/13 at 1:15am:
Came back for more this afternoon, rode the full Laurel loop, then hit Hawk + Norwood.  I ran into a couple of small downed trees on Norwood.  More experienced riders can probably jump them, I cannot  Grin  

I would have tried to move them or take note of the location but it was lightning and raining at that point and I was hauling to get out of there.  Love this trail system even though it's 40mi from home!

Quick question, can I get to Wildlife, Fox, and Fallstown via Wildlife Rd or do I have to ride all the way through Laurel to get there and then back?

You can ride out State Park Rd, bang a right on Wildlife Rd, then the entrance to those trails is on the left in a little clearing, go through the gate on the left side (east side of Wildlife Rd).  When you take Laurel to Wildlife you cross Wildlife Rd in the same spot, you'll see the entrance to Laurel on your right (west side of Wildlife Rd).

It is 7 miles from the parking lot to the Laurel/Wildlife trailhead via Laurel trail.  This is the tougher part of Laurel.  The 3 miles on Laurel to get from the Wildlife trailhead back to the parking lot is a lot of fun, especially the last mile between the fire road and the parking lot you can flyyyyy.

IP Logged

BigBikeMike
Project Board

Reply #43 - 09/03/13 at 12:04am
Print Post  
I came home from Snowshoe last night hoping to ride LNSP today, but I knew that was out when I saw the wet roads around the Statesville area. Anyway, I worked on the Hawk Loop today from the end of the fireroad towards the S turns heading to Norwood Creek. What a muddy mess! I scaped all the mud out, hauled crush and covered the wet areas. I also cleaned out lots of drains, so the water can run out next time it rains. Man, what a bummer!

IP Logged

boilerdown

Reply #44 - 09/03/13 at 1:23am
Print Post  
BigBikeMike wrote on 09/03/13 at 12:04am:
I came home from Snowshoe last night hoping to ride LNSP today, but I knew that was out when I saw the wet roads around the Statesville area. Anyway, I worked on the Hawk Loop today from the end of the fireroad towards the S turns heading to Norwood Creek. What a muddy mess! I scaped all the mud out, hauled crush and covered the wet areas. I also cleaned out lots of drains, so the water can run out next time it rains. Man, what a bummer! 

Thanks for all your work maintaing the park, we appreciate it!

IP Logged

DZack
Coaster Bike

GO BLUE.

Reply #45 - 09/04/13 at 8:33pm
Print Post  
Cleared all webs off of Laurel and Wildlife this morning as i think I was the first to ride sinnce it has been closed for 3 days.. worst ever!! Thanks to whoever cleared them off Monbo! Lol! Couple soft spots but kept getting better throughout the day!

IMBA member.
IP Logged

MountainCycle
Big Ring

Unelite p***^. Heartbreak
lover.

Reply #46 - 09/07/13 at 9:00pm
Print Post  
After not riding here in over 2 1/2 months I can honestly say that I truly don't care about the closures. Keeping this trail prime is well worth it. It was worth the wait today for sure. thanks for the work Mike. Lets hope for a dry fall season. Today was an epic kickoff.
« Last Edit: 09/07/13 at 9:01pm by MountainCycle »  

HotpinkHarorigidSpecializedEnduroFSRMountainCycleSanAndreasGaryFisherCobiaTrekSuperflyEliteCanfieldbrothersyelliscreamySantaCruzSuperlight29SurlyPugs nother'YelliScreamySalsaTimberjackYTJeffsy27

IP Logged

Impaler 58
Big Ring

Reply #47 - 09/10/13 at 2:19am
Print Post  
MountainCycle wrote on 09/07/13 at 9:00pm:
After not riding here in over 2 1/2 months I can honestly say that I truly don't care about the closures. Keeping this trail prime is well worth it. It was worth the wait today for sure. thanks for the work Mike. Lets hope for a dry fall season. Today was an epic kickoff.

so what your saying is to hell with the riders who live near the state park. Why should they have a trail nearby. Keep it in pristine shape for the southern county riders to come up once every couple of months. Sounds a little selfish Shocked Huh

GTalk  
IP Logged

raidermtb
Coaster Bike

Reply #48 - 09/10/13 at 4:34am
Print Post  
Hey hippy if you want an all weather trail to ride anytime you want you can always go to poston or buy you some land and build your own trails. We work hard to keeps the trails in the great shape that they are in. That is why we don't ride them when there to wet lnsp is not the only trail like this. Just about all of the trail in the Charlotte area close for wet conditions.  I feel your pain I went to the mountains on vacation this year just so I could ride some trails only for it to rain and all the trails there where closed to but lnsp is open this week and is in great shape I drive 45 min one way twice a week just to ride lnsp when it it open.

IP Logged

Impaler 58
Big Ring

Reply #49 - 09/10/13 at 3:01pm
Print Post  
raidermtb wrote on 09/10/13 at 4:34am:
Hey hippy if you want an all weather trail to ride anytime you want you can always go to poston or buy you some land and build your own trails. We work hard to keeps the trails in the great shape that they are in. That is why we don't ride them when there to wet lnsp is not the only trail like this. Just about all of the trail in the Charlotte area close for wet conditions.  I feel your pain I went to the mountains on vacation this year just so I could ride some trails only for it to rain and all the trails there where closed to but lnsp is open this week and is in great shape I drive 45 min one way twice a week just to ride lnsp when it it open.

People seem to think I don't think the trails to be closed in wet conditions. It is the length of time the trail is closed. When I looked at Fisher Farm for instance, they would open 2 days after the same rain event that LNSP got. As I mentioned before, I was on the Itusi when a downpour came. Because of the rain,there was additional foliage in the park,which acted as a sort of umbrella. So a good portion of the moisture did not even hit the ground. But when I arrived back at the trailhead,the gates were up. And they kept it closed for 4 days afterward. So my point being in my last comment seemed to be from someone who was still enjoying some of the trails near their homes, and riding the state park every couple of months. Sure,I would ride Poston if it were not 60 miles away. The State park is 10. Fisher is 20. I only ride 1-2 times a week. But if a trail is closed for a week, it takes most of your riding time away. By the way,Signal Hill is always oped, but that doesn't mean it's ridable

GTalk  
IP Logged

MountainCycle
Big Ring

Unelite p***^. Heartbreak
lover.

Reply #50 - 09/10/13 at 8:24pm
Print Post  
Impaler 58 wrote on 09/10/13 at 3:01pm:

People seem to think I don't think the trails to be closed in wet conditions. It is the length of time the trail is closed. When I looked at Fisher Farm for instance, they would open 2 days after the same rain event that LNSP got. As I mentioned before, I was on the Itusi when a downpour came. Because of the rain,there was additional foliage in the park,which acted as a sort of umbrella. So a good portion of the moisture did not even hit the ground. But when I arrived back at the trailhead,the gates were up. And they kept it closed for 4 days afterward. So my point being in my last comment seemed to be from someone who was still enjoying some of the trails near their homes, and riding the state park every couple of months. Sure,I would ride Poston if it were not 60 miles away. The State park is 10. Fisher is 20. I only ride 1-2 times a week. But if a trail is closed for a week, it takes most of your riding time away. By the way,Signal Hill is always oped, but that doesn't mean it's ridable

good god man, if you had 1/2 the passion for riding as you do for complaining about the inevitable, you would shake off the pity dust, put some gas in the tank, and find an open trail. You can't tell me that Fisher is a destination ride for you and it is open unless it is the worse of conditions.

HotpinkHarorigidSpecializedEnduroFSRMountainCycleSanAndreasGaryFisherCobiaTrekSuperflyEliteCanfieldbrothersyelliscreamySantaCruzSuperlight29SurlyPugs nother'YelliScreamySalsaTimberjackYTJeffsy27

IP Logged

BigBikeMike
Project Board

Reply #51 - 09/11/13 at 2:32am
Print Post  
I stopped by LNSP last Thursday on my way to Snowshoe for the meeting with Mike, Mark and Evan. There was a tree down on Norwood the last time I rode, so I wanted to get it cleared. There were 2 trees down and one leaning across the trail by the time I got back out there. I passed lots of muddy areas and I just had to fix them. I for one am glad they close the trails and keep them closed till they have a chance to dry alittle before they open them up. Plans are in the works to get the maintenance on the trails completed sooner so they can get them open after storms. Thanks for your patients and get out and ride while their open (hope to this weekend myself). I'm sure there are lots of areas that need work, but I need to ride!

IP Logged

JT3
Coaster Bike

Reply #52 - 09/11/13 at 12:53pm
Print Post  
agree with MTN Cycle. Its worth the wait for epic trail conditions... which we almost always have.

peddle faster, I heard banjo music!

IP Logged

Robert C.
Big Ring

Leaves are the ultimate
trail maintenance tool

Reply #53 - 09/11/13 at 3:21pm
Print Post  
Rode LNSP two weeks ago for the first time in a year - well worth the wait.  And can we stop pulling Fisher Farm in to every thread please.  Who the hell cares about that trail anyway. 
« Last Edit: 09/11/13 at 3:21pm by Robert C. »  

IP Logged

Impaler 58
Big Ring

Reply #54 - 09/11/13 at 4:33pm
Print Post  
I swear, everybody who contributes to this forum is still hanging on to their parents apron strings. Do a 120 mile round trip to ride. If you guys are all adults. Get me in where you work. I want all that extra time on my hands. I'll help Mike with the trail if he splits some of the cash he gets from the state park. But I'll work it only if I get to ride. As of now. I stopped riding the State park. Shoot ,I stopped riding all together. Used to be a cool sport 20 years back when bikes where allowed on everything. Now there is nowhere near to ride. And if you want to build a trail, you have to follow their rules. You don't get the option of riding what you build. I suppose that just makes sense  to ya'll Cheesy Grin

GTalk  
IP Logged

The Cycle Path
IB Room
In The Loop
Project Board

Treasurer '11 to '18.
Trail Chair '12-'18,
'20-'21

Reply #55 - 09/11/13 at 4:33pm
Print Post  
Robert C. wrote on 09/11/13 at 3:21pm:
Rode LNSP two weeks ago for the first time in a year - well worth the wait.  And can we stop pulling Fisher Farm in to every thread please.  Who the hell cares about that trail anyway. 

I see what you did there!  Wink

We carry the finest from Specialized, Yeti, Transition, and Kona.
IP Logged

The Cycle Path
IB Room
In The Loop
Project Board

Treasurer '11 to '18.
Trail Chair '12-'18,
'20-'21

Reply #56 - 09/11/13 at 4:36pm
Print Post  
Impaler 58 wrote on 09/11/13 at 4:33pm:
I swear, everybody who contributes to this forum is still hanging on to their parents apron strings. Do a 120 mile round trip to ride. If you guys are all adults. Get me in where you work. I want all that extra time on my hands. I'll help Mike with the trail if he splits some of the cash he gets from the state park. But I'll work it only if I get to ride. As of now. I stopped riding the State park. Shoot ,I stopped riding all together. Used to be a cool sport 20 years back when bikes where allowed on everything. Now there is nowhere near to ride. And if you want to build a trail, you have to follow their rules. You don't get the option of riding what you build. I suppose that just makes sense  to ya'll Cheesy Grin

That's sooo not true.  What it takes is taking on some responsibility for a section and no, if you work on it and it's still closed you don't get to ride it.  I don't ride Fisher if it's nasty when we do trail work...which is actually some of the best time to do trail work, BTW. Smiley

IP Logged

Dennis
In The Loop

Reply #57 - 09/11/13 at 4:36pm
Print Post  
boilerdown wrote on 09/02/13 at 1:15am:

You can ride out of the park from the main parking lot, hang a right on Wildlife Road and the trailhead is on your left...it is very well marked with a crosswalk and signage. But if you take this route you miss the awesomeness that is the Laurel Loop  Wink

IP Logged

Robert C.
Big Ring

Leaves are the ultimate
trail maintenance tool

Reply #58 - 09/11/13 at 4:40pm
Print Post  
The Cycle Path wrote on 09/11/13 at 4:36pm:

That's sooo not true.  What it takes is taking on some responsibility for a section and no, if you work on it and it's still closed you don't get to ride it.  I don't ride Fisher if it's nasty when we do trail work...which is actually some of the best time to do trail work, BTW. Smiley

I can't believe I'm actually going to agree with C Path but I must.  I, like many, spent a ton of time helping Graity Thief build a bunch of great new feathers at Col Beatty, only to have to wait 3 months to ride them because of non stop rain.

Doing trailwork does not give one a pass to be irresponsible. 

Oh, and Fisher Farm still sucks.   
« Last Edit: 09/11/13 at 4:40pm by Robert C. »  

IP Logged

The Cycle Path
IB Room
In The Loop
Project Board

Treasurer '11 to '18.
Trail Chair '12-'18,
'20-'21

Reply #59 - 09/11/13 at 5:14pm
Print Post  
Robert C. wrote on 09/11/13 at 4:40pm:

I can't believe I'm actually going to agree with C Path but I must.  I, like many, spent a ton of time helping Graity Thief build a bunch of great new feathers at Col Beatty, only to have to wait 3 months to ride them because of non stop rain.

Doing trailwork does not give one a pass to be irresponsible. 

Oh, and Fisher Farm still sucks.   

Damn right it does now stay away from it!   Grin

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 
Print