Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Print
Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) Oak Island (Read 908 times)
slayemf
Big Ring

Work Ride Tarheel Trailblazers

Oak Island
10/03/13 at 8:54pm
Print Post  
heading to Oak Island for the week, need to find a good rode ride there. anybody ever been and do you know a good ride there? Looking to do a a good 20 or so miles a day while I am there while my wife rests in the morning. thanks....

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links) (Attachment deleted)

IP Logged

Ridefour15
Little Ring

Re: Oak Island
Reply #1 - 10/03/13 at 11:16pm
Print Post  
My aunt has a beach house down there so I've been a few times, although I never brought my bike. One of the main roads I believe has a pretty big shoulder, but the one closer to the beach has little or none.

I see a ton of people on bikes there, although most are on the sidewalk.  Drivers generally seem to be a bit calmer than what's typical around Charlotte. The roads near all the shops tend to get much, much busier than the more residential areas though.

Just keep in mind, it tends to get a bit windy down there.

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links) (Attachment deleted)

IP Logged

PainkillerSPE
Big Ring

Reply #2 - 10/04/13 at 12:39am
Print Post  
Brunswick nature park is pretty close.  About a 30 minute drive.  Flat but excellent trail system.  I rode there when I visited Oak Island.   

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

rob wrote on 05/01/12 at 6:01pm:
Shearing the shaft member after a hard ride is acceptable in my book.

IP Logged

Ridefour15
Little Ring

Reply #3 - 10/04/13 at 12:47am
Print Post  
PainkillerSPE wrote on 10/04/13 at 12:39am:
Brunswick nature park is pretty close.  About a 30 minute drive.  Flat but excellent trail system.  I rode there when I visited Oak Island.  

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

What do you think the closest comparison would be to a Charlotte-area trail to this one?  Looks like I might be bringing my mountain bike next time I go to the beach!

IP Logged

WillMurray
Small Cog

Reply #4 - 10/04/13 at 1:02pm
Print Post  
Rocky, I go there every year. I just ride towards the light house and then back. I just checked Google, it is 13 miles from the light house to the southern point of Oak Island. So I think you could get an easy 20 miles in that way. You could defintely ride to South Port as well if you wanted more miles. Its nice to visit there.

Equal opportunity cyclist

IP Logged

StretchASU
Small Cog

'Merica

Reply #5 - 10/04/13 at 1:06pm
Print Post  
Ridefour15 wrote on 10/04/13 at 12:47am:

What do you think the closest comparison would be to a Charlotte-area trail to this one?  Looks like I might be bringing my mountain bike next time I go to the beach!

Main section at Sherman is about as close as I could compare it to a Charlotte area trail. 

Karate Monkey

IP Logged

PainkillerSPE
Big Ring

Reply #6 - 10/04/13 at 1:22pm
Print Post  
Ridefour15 wrote on 10/04/13 at 12:47am:

I would say Sherman as well.  They do have some interesting features out there and you need to be on the lookout for gators as well Smiley

rob wrote on 05/01/12 at 6:01pm:
Shearing the shaft member after a hard ride is acceptable in my book.

IP Logged

slayemf
Big Ring

Reply #7 - 10/04/13 at 10:53pm
Print Post  
ok , got here and took a little ride ,first thing i did to look for a second, then while we were helping the people out who's house we are staying at , the hotwater heater went out, so , I fixed that , so I thought. Later on, went to take a shower, and thank god I was not naked but the water burned the heckout of my hand. So now I am going to have to say I will not be rideing, maybe. What a way to celebrate an anniversry.. I guess the word is scoulled,, not sure but my three right last fingers are ppink and numb, I have mustard on it..

IP Logged

hudsontp
Big Ring

Reply #8 - 10/05/13 at 11:35am
Print Post  
slayemf wrote on 10/04/13 at 10:53pm:
ok , got here and took a little ride ,first thing i did to look for a second, then while we were helping the people out who's house we are staying at , the hotwater heater went out, so , I fixed that , so I thought. Later on, went to take a shower, and thank god I was not naked but the water burned the heckout of my hand. So now I am going to have to say I will not be rideing, maybe. What a way to celebrate an anniversry.. I guess the word is scoulled,, not sure but my three right last fingers are ppink and numb, I have mustard on it..

Go ride your bike or you get eaten by a bear!!!!!

I still expect a ride report on that thing! One hand, two hands, or no hands!!!!!

IP Logged

slayemf
Big Ring

Reply #9 - 10/05/13 at 2:17pm
Print Post  
rode today, did a bit. Bike felt great but towards the end the gears started to skip . I had to just stay in three gears. There was hardly ant wind, nice ride all in all . I did see another rider and I kinda waved but he kept riding so to me that was an invitation to to catch up and say hi and by But as soon as I was on him he turned off..I was not trying to be a dick just thought being the person that I am , I would just try catching a ride in with him and ride his draft. Oh well...Going to try and see what to do about the gears slipping but for now I am going to go to the beach..Vacation..

IP Logged

hudsontp
Big Ring

Reply #10 - 10/05/13 at 3:36pm
Print Post  
Cable is probably juat stretching a little... should be a 5 second fix if there's a shop down there... also wipe off your chain because I put a good amount of lube on there overnight..it'll pick up less grit if you wipe ut down..

Glad you got in a ride!

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Print