Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Print
Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) Moore Springs Trail - any feedback? (Read 1323 times)
ppodgorski

Work Ride Tarheel Trailblazers

Moore Springs Trail - any feedback?
06/08/15 at 2:50pm
Print Post  
Has anyone biked the Moore Springs trails up north of Winston Salem?  Any feedback on whether it is worth going there to ride?  I can't find much information on the trails online.

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links) (Attachment deleted)

IP Logged

TrillWill
IB Room
In The Loop
Project Board

THTB Board member 16'-23'
LKN TC

Re: Moore Springs Trail - any feedback?
Reply #1 - 06/08/15 at 3:51pm
Print Post  
I've ridden it a few times a couple years ago and I would highly recommend it.  Not overly technical with lots of elevation change (climbing and descending) with enough technical to keep it interesting.

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links) (Attachment deleted)

Ride boards, ride bikes, ride life #shredeverything

IP Logged

Cherokee
Little Ring

Reply #2 - 06/08/15 at 4:47pm
Print Post  
I think a couple of years ago they were talking about closing it for some reason. Don't know if that was temporary or what. Cycle Path is the local expert on those trails. But the trails look good based on the Youtube vids.

"The state is the great fiction by which each of us seeks to live at the expense of all of us."    --19th century French economist Frederic Bastiat

IP Logged

Solar
Little Ring

I can ride my bike with
no handle bars

Reply #3 - 06/08/15 at 5:02pm
Print Post  
I've ridden them a few times as well.  They were officially closed a year or so back, but I'm not sure if they are still ridable.   
The short story is that NC State owns that land and had rented to the area for next to nothing in order to allow them to maintain it and build trails, but due to some politics, NC State decided to cancel the lease.  This after the local trail builders had spent a lot of time, money and energy into building some fun trails.   

I have no idea if you are still able to ride the trails of if they've taken steps to make them inaccessible.   

IF the are open/ridable, the post by TwillWill is pretty spot on.  Great elevation changes, a lot of nice bermed trail and a few technical spots to keep it interesting, including water crossings and rock gardens.   

Post up if you ride them of find more info on them. 

I want to grow my own food, but I can't find any bacon seeds.
IP Logged

The Cycle Path
IB Room
In The Loop
Project Board

Treasurer '11 to '18.
Trail Chair '12-'18,
'20-'21

Reply #4 - 06/08/15 at 5:03pm
Print Post  
They're back open now.  You should ride them.  They're fun!  We own some land just to the north of the trails so I'll ride them when I'm up there and not hunting.

We carry the finest from Specialized, Yeti, Transition, and Kona.
IP Logged

Marin Man
Coaster Bike

Reply #5 - 06/09/15 at 1:14am
Print Post  
They are open.  Officially they are now part of Hanging Rock State Park.    Maintenance is a bit of an issue.    More trails will be built, hopefully in the next year.   The State moves sloooowly.

Check out reviews on Singletracks.com & also this link has some info, although it is a bit dated.

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

IP Logged

GeneD
Coaster Bike

Camper / Rider

Reply #6 - 06/09/15 at 10:05am
Print Post  
My understanding, from one of the trailbuilders, is they are now open, the  trail is in good condition and political problems are solved. They received GRANT money and have made big improvements in the last 12 months.

GeneD

IP Logged

ppodgorski

Reply #7 - 06/09/15 at 10:02pm
Print Post  
Today I rode Moores Springs at Hanging Rock State Park and Hobby Park just south of Winston Salem.  It may prove beneficial to add these trails to the trail list on the website here.   

Both are great trails and people who ride Sherman and the Whitewater Center will like them.  BYT enthusiasts will probably be bored.

Moores Springs:
Bi Directional trail, I rode the trail counter clockwise (always taking rights).  Riding the opposite way appeared to be equally fun.  Good combination of flow and some minor technical characteristics.  Some creek crossings and rock gardens.  The trail is pretty much covered in ground up leaves, so it made for slippery conditions with today's dampness.  Main loop and Land of the Lost loop were fun, but nothing stood out as exceptional.  Major Tom was slightly more technical, but not significantly.  I got messed up somewhere doing the North Side loop and ended up biking through open fireroads.  If that was the correct trail, then North Side blows.   

Here is the Moores Springs trail map

Hobby Park:
The first half of Hobby Park is like Warrior Creek lite.  Good flow, just not as good as Warrior and packed into a smaller footprint.  There is a short technical creek crossing section in the middle called Little Pisgah.  It was a challenge for me, but probably easier for people who frequent BYT.
I did the cross country route, but there is a Super D route that connects most of the good downhill sections of the cross country route.   
There is a good bmx area at the end of the trail.   

IP Logged

GeneD
Coaster Bike

Camper / Rider

Reply #8 - 06/09/15 at 10:30pm
Print Post  
ppodgorski wrote on 06/09/15 at 10:02pm:
  The trail is pretty much covered in ground up leaves, so it made for slippery conditions with today's dampness.  

Ground up leaves?  Were the "fall/winter leaves" mulched rather than blown?

GeneD

IP Logged

ppodgorski

Reply #9 - 06/09/15 at 11:05pm
Print Post  
ground up leaves = leaves that were never blown and have been ridden on since the fall so they aren't whole.

IP Logged

Marin Man
Coaster Bike

Reply #10 - 06/10/15 at 9:06pm
Print Post  
There have been no improvement to the trail & very little maintenance over the past nearly 2 years now.    The trail does end up on an old fire road on the north side because like lots of volunteer trail builders, he had limited time & resources.    Plus, his lease for the land was being broken by the state about that time too.
« Last Edit: 06/10/15 at 9:08pm by Marin Man »  

IP Logged

RAMFB

Reply #11 - 06/12/15 at 7:55pm
Print Post  
Make sure to ride the Campground Trail too.  Access is under the bridge, on the other side of road.

RAMFB

IP Logged

James Banta
Small Cog

Reply #12 - 08/28/17 at 3:37pm
Print Post  
Bringing up an old forum!  Looking for advice on trails up near Pilot Mountain.  I will be travelling up there to camp with family this weekend and wouldn't mind checking out some new trails.  It looks like my best two options are Hobby Park and Moore Springs.

The closest trail looks to be Moore Springs.  From what I read, its a pretty good trail system and could be ridden in a day?  Does anyone have suggestions on what trails to hit first?  I enjoy the faster flowy trails...my bike is set up to be fun rather than XC.  Santa Cruz 5010 setup pretty aggressive (140 fork, Minion DHF etc...).

Hobby Park...is it worth the extra drive?  45min as opposed to 15-20min each way?

IP Logged

GeneD
Coaster Bike

Camper / Rider

Reply #13 - 08/28/17 at 4:16pm
Print Post  
James Banta wrote on 08/28/17 at 3:37pm:
Bringing up an old forum!  Looking for advice on trails up near Pilot Mountain.  I will be travelling up there to camp with family this weekend and wouldn't mind checking out some new trails.  It looks like my best two options are Hobby Park and Moore Springs.

If you go to Moore's Springs, please post a current update.

GeneD

IP Logged

SirNotAppearing
IB Room
In The Loop

Reply #14 - 08/28/17 at 5:53pm
Print Post  
Hobby Park is a decent trail, but not worth the 45 minute drive. Moore's Springs was a great trail last time I rode, but that was before the ownership fiasco and the reopening. It would be worth checking out.

IP Logged

Doc00t
IB Room
In The Loop
Project Board

When in DOUBT, PEDAL it
OUT

Reply #15 - 08/28/17 at 7:00pm
Print Post  
These Trails are fall under the umbrella of Greensboro Fat Tire Society.  They are the IMBA/SORBA chapter that has been involved with them.

You would probably get more information from them, good  group!

Scars are like Tattoos only with better Stories

IP Logged

jaybase09
Coaster Bike

Reply #16 - 08/28/17 at 9:41pm
Print Post  
I just camped up at hanging rock but didn't get to ride Moores. The parking lot was filed with cars and bikes though. I rode it last summer and it was in good shape there's two sidesto it across the street. You will come across a downed tree or two. Has some nice downhill, rocky spots, smooth flowy parts and I few sketchy switch backs .

IP Logged

StevenA
Coaster Bike

Reply #17 - 08/29/17 at 12:54am
Print Post  
Moore's Springs is in great shape.  I recently did a clockwise loop of Original, Land of the Lost, Ground Control, Major Tom, and back to Original.  After encountering 4 riders going in the opposite direction I decided to do a counter-clockwise loop for the second lap to see what I was missing.  The two laps were equally fun and just under 13 miles but I haven't calibrated my odometer recently.  There is a north section across the road that I did not visit.  Near the start of Original (clockwise) there was a sign for Kessel Run that I missed too though I've heard it can be completed in 12 parsecs.  Moore's Springs is definitely worth checking out if you are in the area.  Here are some images: 

Flow
Springs
Rocks

I used to be addicted to the Hokey Pokey but then I turned myself around.

IP Logged

James Banta
Small Cog

Reply #18 - 08/29/17 at 6:25pm
Print Post  
Fantastic info - thanks fellas!

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Print