Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Print
Normal Topic Garmin 510 GPS (Read 710 times)
fat-ass
Coaster Bike

Garmin 510 GPS
03/17/14 at 5:34pm
Print Post  
I know this has been discussed before on here so if there is a link someone can provide I will look there. 

Interested in feedback from users of GPS based computers used for mountain biking. Specifically in regards to the accuracy and ease of use of the device. I have always used your typical wheel based computer with HR (wahoo) and GPS support (Strava) on the iphone. I also use the find my iphone app at home for my wife to keep an eye on me as I always ride solo. 

In an effort to consolidate my data recording/ monitoring to one device, I am strongly considering purchasing the Garmin 510. Interested in the Pro's / Con's for those of you that use a GPS based devise or this one specifically.

I don't ride new trails frequently enough to justify a 810.

Thanks in advance for any thoughts.

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links) (Attachment deleted)

IP Logged

Yellowduck
Big Ring

Work Ride Tarheel Trailblazers

Re: Garmin 510 GPS
Reply #1 - 03/17/14 at 6:58pm
Print Post  
I've got the 510.  I've also had a 500 and the timex version.  I like all the garmin stuff. The reason I went to the 510 is because I needed more than a 3 bike memory.  Both were easy to use although I do think the 510's GPS is more accurate looking at when I ride multiple laps and how it overlays them.

I highly recommend one if you are a data freek. The biggest thing is that if you want accurate mileage, then you need a speed cadence sensor and it needs to be properly calibrated.  They don't cost that much but with out it the gps will short you every time on the mountain bike.  Road bike doesn't seem to be a issue as your not doing tight switchbacks.

Biggest concern is loosing it or braking it in a crash.  But if you are riding around with an Iphone, I would rather loose the garmin than the phone.

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links) (Attachment deleted)

"Riding skinny is too easy"
-MB
IP Logged

Enoch
Forum Administrator
IB Room
Project Board
In The Loop

Walked with God and he
was not

Reply #2 - 03/17/14 at 10:18pm
Print Post  
the 510 has a tether which is a big plus for mtb riding. 

I've knocked mine off and started riding and found it dangling.

Do what you like. Stop hating people for their riding habits and get back to hating them for their skin color, religion, politics, and sexual orientation.

IP Logged

fat-ass
Coaster Bike

Reply #3 - 08/19/14 at 11:02am
Print Post  
I picked up the 510 30 days ago and am really enjoying it. Does anyone have experience with the Live Tracking feature? It doesn't appear to be tracking 'live' rather refreshing my stats/ position in 60 second intervals. (so says my wife) This is the case on the CPU and handheld. 

Any thoughts?

IP Logged

fat-ass
Coaster Bike

Reply #4 - 08/26/14 at 10:45am
Print Post  
Garmin Support response:

"That would be considered live, as live tracking is just the ability to track you while you are doing the ride. The delay can be anywhere from 30 seconds to 2 minutes."

Wasn't the expectation the marketing gave me when considering this unit:
(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

IP Logged

DrewK
Small Cog

Work Ride Tarheel Trailblazers

Reply #5 - 08/28/14 at 2:52pm
Print Post  
If you are only doing MTB, 510 is the way to go.  510 has GLONASS gps, while 500 does not... 510 is much more accurate, particularly in tree cover.  If you're segment hunting, the 500 will sometimes have so much gps drift that it will miss segments.  500 will also struggle with start/stop if you are in tree cover - you will get an annoying "beep beep" more often than necessary.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Print