Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Print
Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) Trailbuilders!!! (Read 1479 times)
Mark Hense
Coaster Bike

Stay ready so you dont
have to get ready!

Trailbuilders!!!
05/28/14 at 11:50pm
Print Post  
Hey,  I have a buddy that just built a house in Jamaica and him and I was brainstorming about a couple of mountain bike trail builders getting together to survey the possibilities of building a world class trail in the st. Elizabeth area of Jamaica?
Anybody interested/ could afford to?
The whole goal would be to build and maintain a trail that people from all over the world would come to ride, even possibly holding major "invitational" events. 
Please share your thoughts.

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links) (Attachment deleted)

"Stay ready so you don't have to get ready"- Will Smith

Mark

IP Logged

Half-a-fork
Little Ring

Work Ride Tarheel Trailblazers

Re: Trailbuilders!!!
Reply #1 - 05/29/14 at 12:26am
Print Post  
I would be very interested.  Would there be a place to stay?

I am currently trail building at Riverwalk so I am learning how to build trails too. 

Thanks for the offer. Look forward to hearing more about this. 

Justin

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links) (Attachment deleted)

Ride to have fun and enjoy the scenery, not to set records…

Packed and ready to roll…
(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)
GTalkAIM  
IP Logged

SycoCell
Coaster Bike

I can ride my bike with
no handlebars

Reply #2 - 05/29/14 at 2:15am
Print Post  
Mark Hense wrote on 05/28/14 at 11:50pm:
Hey,  I have a buddy that just built a house in Jamaica and him and I was brainstorming about a couple of mountain bike trail builders getting together to survey the possibilities of building a world class trail in the st. Elizabeth area of Jamaica?
Anybody interested/ could afford to?
The whole goal would be to build and maintain a trail that people from all over the world would come to ride, even possibly holding major "invitational" events. 
Please share your thoughts.

I think it's an interesting concept and idea.  My concern would be A) Are there any mountain bikes available to rent? B) How could the trail maintenance be kept up with? Jamaica is a rain forest.  It will be over grown in a matter of weeks.

I wish I had the means to get involved, but unless I'm on a random over night there for work, I don't foresee my help being there.  Sad

IP Logged

Half-a-fork
Little Ring

Reply #3 - 05/29/14 at 12:10pm
Print Post  
If you are talking about bikes to rent while we are there building, SW allows you to take the bike for $75.  As for the trails, if you build them and advertise them, I think that people would use them.  If you couple that with a business that rents bikes, I think you are REALLY onto something.  Honestly, I would be interested in pursuing the business end of something like this if others were interested in pursuing it.   

Thanks,

Justin

GTalkAIM  
IP Logged

The Cycle Path
IB Room
In The Loop
Project Board

Treasurer '11 to '18.
Trail Chair '12-'18,
'20-'21

Reply #4 - 05/29/14 at 6:25pm
Print Post  
You're gonna need to find out a few things:

1.  How much land is available. People aren't going to travel to Jamaica for <5 miles of trail.
2.  What is your annual budget for maintenance?
3.  Professional trail builders typically charge from $5-$14 per foot depending on the topography.  That's a stateside number and being out of the continental US is gonna have to include food, lodging and travel.  Along with equipment rental and fuel if using machines. Machines will make the time frame much, much shorter.
4.  This should probably be #1. Local ordinances/statutes on liability.  If you're doing this as a non paying gig then the liability is much lower.  If this is a fee based endeavor than you're going to multiply your risk and will most likely need some kind of liability insurance policy.  Local statutes will dictate this.
5.  Are there any environmentally sensitive areas on the land or any significant archeological sites.  That will complicate things a bit.  And then there are land and water quality issues.  Local government would be the place to inquire.

And that's before laying one shovel to dirt...

Good luck!

BTW you should do it in St. Croix instead.  Wink

We carry the finest from Specialized, Yeti, Transition, and Kona.
IP Logged

Half-a-fork
Little Ring

Reply #5 - 05/29/14 at 7:02pm
Print Post  
Speak for yourself on #1.  Cool  I will go there for 50 yards...

GTalkAIM  
IP Logged

slayemf
Big Ring

Reply #6 - 05/29/14 at 8:32pm
Print Post  
420 everyday while building,,,I'm in...jk...Good luck, listen to what Mark said and go from there.

IP Logged

raidermtb
Coaster Bike

Reply #7 - 05/29/14 at 9:05pm
Print Post  
Build some trails In rowan county before Jamaica. It gets old driving 45 min - 1hr just to ride some mountain bike trails. Our county is lacking in the mountain biking area.  Smiley

IP Logged

RobP
Big Ring

Reply #8 - 05/30/14 at 4:05pm
Print Post  
Funny we looked at this as a club when I was on the board of directors for a South Florida Club.  It sounded like a good idea, but the travel logistics just never made sense vs the amount of trail that existed or were being developed.

As a comparison we routinely 3/4 times a year chartered a bus from SFL to the Pisgah area for 26 riders.  There are just so many good continental MTB destinations that already have the trail and infrastructure to support such an endeavor.

IP Logged

Mark Hense
Coaster Bike

Stay ready so you dont
have to get ready!

Reply #9 - 05/31/14 at 1:02am
Print Post  
This is where he built.  The purpose was for bed and breakfast. The vacation spot away from touristy vacation spots. 
The terrain is hilly and figured because he loves mountain biking why note see the possibilities. 
Check the website and tell what what you think.

Mark

IP Logged

Mark Hense
Coaster Bike

Stay ready so you dont
have to get ready!

Reply #10 - 05/31/14 at 1:03am
Print Post  
Worst come to worst. Take you next vacation there and bring your bike!  12-18 miles of trail and beautiful white sand beaches. Perfect combination!

« Last Edit: 05/31/14 at 1:12am by Mark Hense »  

Mark

IP Logged

Mark Hense
Coaster Bike

Stay ready so you dont
have to get ready!

Reply #11 - 05/31/14 at 1:14am
Print Post  
But honestly and seriously we would like to make this a place read about in MTB magazine as one of the best trails in the world to visit!
So any help would be appreciated.
« Last Edit: 05/31/14 at 1:15am by Mark Hense »  

Mark

IP Logged

Half-a-fork
Little Ring

Reply #12 - 05/31/14 at 3:05am
Print Post  
I think you guys are on to something. Don't let the nay-sayers derail you.  Hope I get to help make it a reality.

GTalkAIM  
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Print