Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Print
Normal Topic Trail suggestion (Read 911 times)
Pick

Wheels: 2>4

Trail suggestion
10/04/14 at 2:54pm
Print Post  
I will be in town this Friday with a little time and plan to bring my bike.  We're staying near Salisbury and I'm dropping the family off in Huntersville for the day; any suggestions near there?  It looks like LNSP & USNWC are the longest trails close by.

I'm an intermediate rider and will probably bring my single speed.  I would love to get in a 2-3 hours somewhere.  Also, what's the elevation like?  Should I add another tooth or two cog to what I'm used to riding in Raleigh?

Also, I thought I might take the family to Salisbury Community Park MTB Trails on Saturday; are they beginner friendly?  My kids love Lake Crabtree Park in Raleigh if anyone is familiar with those.

I appreciate any suggestions you might have...
-Pick

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links) (Attachment deleted)

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

IP Logged

traildog
Big Ring

warning!  SS carrier

Re: Trail suggestion
Reply #1 - 10/04/14 at 3:35pm
Print Post  
You can spend 2-3 hours at WWC easily.  With the Thread Trail open, 20+ miles per lap. Thread Trail is an out and back though.  Plenty of elevation at WWC, I use a 32x18 on a 29er.  Not familiar with Salisbury park.
You may consider Sherman Branch also.  Other direction from Huntersville, but very SS friendly and fast.  Not much elevation but some nice rock gardens and structures to challenge you some.  11+ miles per lap.

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links) (Attachment deleted)

IP Logged

sager
Big Ring

Waiting for my next ride!

Reply #2 - 10/04/14 at 9:47pm
Print Post  
Agree but make sure to study the latest map as it can be confusing for someone who is new to it and riding alone.  You won't get lost, but you may miss some things.  I ride the trail in this order.  East main. North trail connector, figure eight, thread trail, north trail, south trail, carpet trail, tower 93, wedge, goat hill, power line climb, continue on south trail, weigh station, toilet bowl,  lake loop, done. Goat hill and power line climb will be the most difficult on a 32x18, but still easily doable.  Almost 2k elevation.  Most smiles per mile in the area.

IP Logged

bikermedic
Little Ring

Swim, Bike, Run 140.6

Reply #3 - 10/05/14 at 12:07am
Print Post  
I'd do Lake Norman State Park if I was on a single speed and only had the chance to ride one day in the area....

IP Logged

Pick

Reply #4 - 10/05/14 at 1:26am
Print Post  
Thanks for all the feedback...  I'm a wimp so I ride 32x21 on my 29er; sounds like I should be ok in that gear then.

I'm torn between LNSP & WWC; I'll probably just call an audible on Friday morning depending on weather, traffic, etc.

IP Logged

sager
Big Ring

Waiting for my next ride!

Reply #5 - 10/05/14 at 1:32am
Print Post  
Wwc sells beer.  Decision made. You'll be swimming in that gear but if that works...

IP Logged

GeneD
Coaster Bike

Camper / Rider

Reply #6 - 10/05/14 at 11:26am
Print Post  
If you are close to Salisbury, I suggest trying Salisbury Community Park first especially considering the 2 hour round trip to WWC.   Great for single speed. 6.2 miles of good singletrack trail. It is not heavily discussed due to the location, but You (and others) may be quite surprised at how good it is....well signed also. You can ride both directions for 12-13 miles. There is a trail map on the 2 kiosks.  Normally, you can ride there when all others are closed..... drains great, good soil and dries quickly.

GeneD

IP Logged

traildog
Big Ring

warning!  SS carrier

Reply #7 - 10/05/14 at 1:28pm
Print Post  
Nice bike, I have the green version.  Definitely my favorite ride.  If you get to WWC, give me a call, I'll be happy to ride with you.

IP Logged

Pick

Reply #8 - 10/13/14 at 4:38pm
Print Post  
Thanks for the offer traildog.  We were running short on time so we went ahead.  We skipped a couple of the really short internal loops (Goat Hill, Toliet & Weigh Station) and we never saw the Thread trail but otherwise got everything I think.

Man, what an incredible place.  The trails are very diverse and all the other activities looked stellar.  I will definitely be coming back.

32x21 was a little low for gearing but it was nice on a couple of those real steep climbs.  My buddy was running 32x18 and he had to walk them.  The bermed downhill sections were killer; definitely the highlight of the trip for us!!

Thanks again for all the suggestions.  I need to get to LNSP soon too.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Print