Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Print
Normal Topic Park Road Park extended closure and trail damage (Read 547 times)
climber
Project Board

Work Ride Tarheel Trailblazers

Park Road Park extended closure and trail damage
10/15/14 at 11:33pm
Print Post  
I met with P&R officials today.  Yesterday some workers damaged a large section of trail by driving heavy machinery through it and dumping and spreading fill dirt from a playground project.  P&R has promised to repair it but there is a lot of work to do.  I was also informed that the entire park will be closed to the public from Oct. 23rd to Nov. 26.  This included the bike trails.  Because of the trail damage and ongoing work I have decided to go ahead and close the trail now.  There are no closure signs up yet but I ask that you just stay over at BYT and MD until this gets sorted out.  I have made further inquiries to see if this closure can be shortened or amended in some way.  We were frankly blindsided by this.  P&R has generally been a joy to work with.  My sense is that they are completely maxed out and we just slipped through the cracks.  I will post up as soon as I know more.  BYT and MD are completely unaffected by this and should be open as soon as things dry out.

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links) (Attachment deleted)

IP Logged

abruzzopat
Little Ring

Irritating animated GIF...
I'll remove it soon.

Re: Park Road Park extended closure and trail damage
Reply #1 - 10/15/14 at 11:49pm
Print Post  
Wow... major bummer. Do you know the reason for the month-long park closure? I live a few blocks away and have not heard anything about this.

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links) (Attachment deleted)

IP Logged

Robert C.
Big Ring

Leaves are the ultimate
trail maintenance tool

Reply #2 - 10/16/14 at 1:09am
Print Post  
abruzzopat wrote on 10/15/14 at 11:49pm:
Wow... major bummer. Do you know the reason for the month-long park closure? I live a few blocks away and have not heard anything about this.

The DNC is back in town.

« Last Edit: 10/16/14 at 10:11am by Robert C. »  

IP Logged

climber
Project Board

Work Ride Tarheel Trailblazers

Reply #3 - 10/23/14 at 5:55pm
Print Post  
I talked to Parks and Rec again today seeking some softening on the month long trail closure.  I was asked to leave the trail closure in place.  I was told that during this period there were two large fundraising walks being staged from the park and a range of construction work going on.  Other than the walks all activities in the park are closed.  There will be no field use permitted, no use of pavilions, not even any dog walking.  I do not know how they intend to enforce this.  The gates remain open and there are no signs up anywhere that I could see.  I made it clear to Parks and Rec that the club could not enforce a closure and that all I will do is post the trail closed on the web site.  We have a walk thru for the greenway construction tomorrow.  Maybe we will learn something then.  Rode BYT last night, even poached the new trail, good stuff going on there for sure.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Print