Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Print
Normal Topic Where to find good shoes for flats locally? (Read 349 times)
Carl Fisher
Coaster Bike

Work Ride Tarheel Trailblazers

Where to find good shoes for flats locally?
07/28/15 at 2:40pm
Print Post  
I have a specific need that requires me to actually try on the shoes and not just trust online reviews to order untested.  Over the last year I've undergone surgery on both achilles and heel bones. The entire area of my achilles and ankle will continue to be tender for at least the next year according to the doctor.

I'm switching away from clipless pedals that I'm used to in order to protect that area from being locked in during an eventual mishap on the trail. Jumping to flats also means new shoes but I need something that does not cut into my ankle or achilles area. I really need to try them on first.

I'd like a shoe with grip but also not be hard to re-position. I did a bunch of reading on the five ten freerider vxi, but ran across a few reviews that specifically called out some rubbing in exactly the wrong places.

Anyway, who locally has a good selection of flat friendly shoes that I can actually go try out?

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links) (Attachment deleted)
IP Logged

csquared
Little Ring

Get busy living or Get
Busy Dying!

Re: Where to find good shoes for flats locally?
Reply #1 - 07/28/15 at 3:11pm
Print Post  
Check with Mark at the Cyclepath.  I remember him saying they may start to stock FiveTens.  I've been riding Fivetens for 3 years... have never had any rubbing issues.  I've had the impacts and freerider vxi and loved them both.  Regarding your question, I don't think you'll find "ANY" local shops that carry them in stock unless the Cyclepath has started to.
« Last Edit: 07/28/15 at 3:14pm by csquared »  
(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links) (Attachment deleted)

IP Logged

forkit
Coaster Bike

Work Ride Tarheel Trailblazers

Re: Where to find good shoes for flats locally?
Reply #2 - 07/28/15 at 7:58pm
Print Post  
Target has some comfortable skate shoes for $25.  They only last 8 mos or so because of the soft rubber, but they actually fit (me).  Or consider doing amazon with free returns, lots of variability in 510's I learned.  The adidas slack cruiser uses stealth rubber from 510, I think they bought 510.  Good grip, but not really comfortable.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Print