Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Print
Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) Trails for night rides? (Read 1924 times)
UncleThunder
Small Cog

Trails for night rides?
10/20/15 at 12:55am
Print Post  
What trails can we night ride on?

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links) (Attachment deleted)

IP Logged

Enoch
Forum Administrator
IB Room
Project Board
In The Loop

Walked with God and he
was not

Re: Trails for night rides?
Reply #1 - 10/20/15 at 1:33am
Print Post  
(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links) (Attachment deleted)

Do what you like. Stop hating people for their riding habits and get back to hating them for their skin color, religion, politics, and sexual orientation.

IP Logged

sager
Big Ring

Waiting for my next ride!

Reply #2 - 10/20/15 at 12:21pm
Print Post  
wwc is the most convenient for me.  There are many other folks out there so you don't have to worry so much about being out there alone.

IP Logged

Gravitythief76
In The Loop
Project Board

Just say no to Man-dex

Reply #3 - 10/20/15 at 12:26pm
Print Post  
Night riding at beatty may only occur as part of our organized and parks approved wednesday night rides!

I'M STILL ALIVE!!!!

IP Logged

UncleThunder
Small Cog

Reply #4 - 10/20/15 at 1:23pm
Print Post  
Enoch wrote on 10/20/15 at 1:33am:

^whoa, i need to learn how to use the internet

thanks for that

What if I ride some where that I need a light to finish. For Example Sherman Branch I started around 6:00pm did most of the trail but by the time I was in the parking lot it was really hard to see. Is that ok? of course I would try to get there earlier but is it still Kosher to start when it is light but finish the trail in the dark?
« Last Edit: 10/20/15 at 1:28pm by UncleThunder »  

IP Logged

The Cycle Path
IB Room
In The Loop
Project Board

Treasurer '11 to '18.
Trail Chair '12-'18,
'20-'21

Reply #5 - 10/20/15 at 1:26pm
Print Post  
Gravitythief76 wrote on 10/20/15 at 12:26pm:
Night riding at beatty may only occur as part of our organized and parks approved wednesday night rides!

The same applies to Fisher Farm. We are having a night ride at Fisher Farm on Halloween night starting at 7pm. We are also doing an overnight camp for any that are interested. 

There will also be more scheduled night rides throughout the rest of the year. Smiley

We carry the finest from Specialized, Yeti, Transition, and Kona.
IP Logged

sager
Big Ring

Reply #6 - 10/20/15 at 2:15pm
Print Post  
UncleThunder wrote on 10/20/15 at 1:23pm:

^whoa, i need to learn how to use the internet

thanks for that

What if I ride some where that I need a light to finish. For Example Sherman Branch I started around 6:00pm did most of the trail but by the time I was in the parking lot it was really hard to see. Is that ok? of course I would try to get there earlier but is it still Kosher to start when it is light but finish the trail in the dark?

I think you can assume that if you need a light then it's considered "night riding" and you can't do that at Sherman.  Neighbors have complained about flashlights (headlamps) in the woods.  Theoretically Sherman closes at sundown so you risk getting locked in.

IP Logged

UncleThunder
Small Cog

Reply #7 - 10/21/15 at 1:34pm
Print Post  
sager wrote on 10/20/15 at 2:15pm:

I think you can assume that if you need a light then it's considered "night riding" and you can't do that at Sherman.  Neighbors have complained about flashlights (headlamps) in the woods.  Theoretically Sherman closes at sundown so you risk getting locked in.

Any Trail Coordinators that are able to confirm this? I am just curious because I get off of work at 5pm and that leaves little daylight for me to ride and If i can start ASAP and then Finish around Twilight or just a bit after the sun is down and it is Kosher I would like to do that. But of course if it isn't allowed I will have to go somewhere else. 

I think there is a difference between using a light to help you see better and then start riding after the sun goes down. Seems like a gray area and I just want to make sure Im not breaking the rules

I hung out in the parking lot at Sherman Tuesday until 7:30pm chatting with a friend, and the gate wasn't closed yet and some people didn't leave until 7:15pm. I thought if I could get out of the parking lot by 7pm since sundown is at 6:45pm if that would be ok?

IP Logged

csquared
Little Ring

Get busy living or Get
Busy Dying!

Reply #8 - 10/27/15 at 2:13pm
Print Post  
UncleThunder wrote on 10/21/15 at 1:34pm:

Any Trail Coordinators that are able to confirm this?

I'd be curious about this too... I got on the trails yesterday @ sherman about 6:25pm... did a quick loop on the main.  When I arrived, there was probably 6-7 cars that were already there.  about 2.5 miles into the ride I went ahead and fired up my lights as it was already getting darker under the canopy and I figured I was going to be the last one out since I was the last one in.  By the time I got off the trail (7pm) or so yesterday... those same 6-7 cars were still there.  I probably was in the parking lot for about another 5-10mins after the ride and I only noticed one more person come out the trail and no remote signs of light coming from the trail exit area.  Hoping they got out and no one was injured since I figured I'd be the last one out but actually ended up being out before any of them.  It was odd cause I only rode the main trail and didn't run into a single soul except for a trail runner.  I figured at least I would run into someone being on main.  Since I saw nobody I figured the lot to be empty when I got there but sure wasn't.  It would be nice if we could get a definite on this.  I don't want to be the one locked inside the lot nor the guy holding up the lot closing.
« Last Edit: 10/27/15 at 2:24pm by csquared »  

IP Logged

UncleThunder
Small Cog

Reply #9 - 10/27/15 at 3:30pm
Print Post  
csquared wrote on 10/27/15 at 2:13pm:

I'd be curious about this too... I got on the trails yesterday @ sherman about 6:25pm... did a quick loop on the main.  When I arrived, there was probably 6-7 cars that were already there.  about 2.5 miles into the ride I went ahead and fired up my lights as it was already getting darker under the canopy and I figured I was going to be the last one out since I was the last one in.  By the time I got off the trail (7pm) or so yesterday... those same 6-7 cars were still there.  I probably was in the parking lot for about another 5-10mins after the ride and I only noticed one more person come out the trail and no remote signs of light coming from the trail exit area.  Hoping they got out and no one was injured since I figured I'd be the last one out but actually ended up being out before any of them.  It was odd cause I only rode the main trail and didn't run into a single soul except for a trail runner.  I figured at least I would run into someone being on main.  Since I saw nobody I figured the lot to be empty when I got there but sure wasn't.  It would be nice if we could get a definite on this.  I don't want to be the one locked inside the lot nor the guy holding up the lot closing.

I was there last night also! I left around 7:15ish still were several cars in the parking lot. I started at 6pm, brought my light just in case i would need it. I only did the main trail, and I too was surprised I did not see anyone in front of me.
« Last Edit: 10/27/15 at 3:38pm by UncleThunder »  

IP Logged

sager
Big Ring

Reply #10 - 10/28/15 at 12:35pm
Print Post  
This will probably be a moot point after Sunday.

IP Logged

UncleThunder
Small Cog

Reply #11 - 10/28/15 at 12:58pm
Print Post  
sager wrote on 10/28/15 at 12:35pm:
This will probably be a moot point after Sunday.

Possible for future reference and then for if someone starts an hour before sundown.

IP Logged

csquared
Little Ring

Get busy living or Get
Busy Dying!

Reply #12 - 10/28/15 at 1:24pm
Print Post  
I think it would still apply on weekends if you can't get out til later or if you try to squeeze in an extra lap.  Still would be good to have a solid on when riders would be expected to be out of the park.  

That said, I guess the only obvious here seems to be that you "Only" ride in the dark where it's permitted.... no one is responsible for you if you get locked in and if you do, that's on you.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Print