Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2  Print
Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) Wheel Hub question... (Read 1925 times)
Avlrider
Coaster Bike

Work Ride Tarheel Trailblazers

Wheel Hub question...
02/26/16 at 12:03am
Print Post  
In your guys opinion, do wheel hubs make a difference in rolling resistance? Can you tell a difference in a quality higher priced hub vs. a lower cost one? i.e. one that comes on a bike from the factory.   
What benefit would is there to gain with a more higher priced brand?   Im thinking of either having the ones on the bike rebuilt, or buying a "better brand"......  thanks for any input.

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links) (Attachment deleted)

IP Logged

Enoch
Forum Administrator
IB Room
Project Board
In The Loop

Walked with God and he
was not

Re: Wheel Hub question...
Reply #1 - 02/26/16 at 12:44am
Print Post  
If your rebuilding, start with a Hub that can be easily serviced with parts that are readily available, and a axle configuration that can be updated.

Good hubs are like investments that you can take from bike to bike. I have some hubs that I've been using since 2000.
« Last Edit: 02/26/16 at 3:10am by Enoch »  
(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links) (Attachment deleted)

Do what you like. Stop hating people for their riding habits and get back to hating them for their skin color, religion, politics, and sexual orientation.

IP Logged

49erRider
Ex Member

Reply #2 - 02/26/16 at 2:32am
Print Post  
Ease of service, and engagement are my tops.

IP Logged

Tom F
In The Loop

I'm ready. Get the bike.

Reply #3 - 02/26/16 at 4:48am
Print Post  
I have a Roval wheel set. They are a DT Swiss hub. I like them for the ease of service. They are tough enough for my style of riding. I bought a pawl set that has a higher number of pawls and the engagement is noticeably quicker. Same for bearing replacement. 
There are other hub brands out there for sure that are lighter and certainly more expensive and "purdier" and probably better quality.

2011 (frame) Santa Cruz Superlight & Stumpy Comp (1999), 2017 Tallboy C RX2
22Levo

IP Logged

BudLeach
Small Cog

Reply #4 - 02/26/16 at 2:37pm
Print Post  
Avlrider wrote on 02/26/16 at 12:03am:
In your guys opinion, do wheel hubs make a difference in rolling resistance?

Assuming the bearings and freehub are properly greased and adjusted, not really. There would be no appreciable difference in rolling resistance.

Avlrider wrote on 02/26/16 at 12:03am:
Can you tell a difference in a quality higher priced hub vs. a lower cost one? i.e. one that comes on a bike from the factory.  What benefit would is there to gain with a more higher priced brand?

Yes. The only noticeable performance difference while riding would be due to the number of points of engagement (POE). 

Also, higher end hubs will generally offer increased serviceability (availability of replacement parts), increased durability, lower weight, and more robust sealing and bearing designs which can mean longer service intervals. Like others have said, think of it more as an investment. The performance benefits are marginal. 

It can be a waste of money, or pay for itself many times over. It all depends on usage.

IP Logged

Nuke
Coaster Bike

Work Ride Wolfpack Trailblazer

Reply #5 - 02/26/16 at 3:07pm
Print Post  
So I have a particular question to add to the OPs.  I got a new set of Industry 9 wheels with a classic torch Hub.  I noticed when I have my bike hanging and spin the back wheel, it seems to coast to a stop sooner.  I thought this made sense as the increased engagement had to come at a cost, but the friction resistance added is insignificant when riding the bike.

IP Logged

Woods Rider
Small Cog

I wanna ride

Reply #6 - 02/26/16 at 3:11pm
Print Post  
1) In your guys opinion, do wheel hubs make a difference in rolling resistance?
When in good condition very little, tires make the biggest difference in rolling resistance.

2) Can you tell a difference in a quality higher priced hub vs. a lower cost one? i.e. one that comes on a bike from the factory.
Bearing wise when new, no, the higher end hubs can offer more or quicker engagement and that is something you notice right away.

note: On my road bike I replaced my worn out bearings with some very high end ceramic bearings. While riding the road I could feel no real difference. When I put the bike on my trainer I did the coast down calibration, the bearings had less resistance than the OEM bearings when dong the same test. However the amount of energy saved was real small, maybe a Pro or someone doing a time trial might see the difference when looking for that extra fraction of a second.    

Government has no reason to use common sense or be efficient as it pays no price for failure.

IP Logged

renoirbud
Small Cog

Reply #7 - 02/26/16 at 5:45pm
Print Post  
I have always been a fan of King hubs hubs and have had a bunch. (72 POE)

My last wheel set I built with DT Swiss 240.  I was really impressed with the DT440 on my DH bike.

On paper the 18 POE vs the 72 POE sounds like a massive step backwards, but on a geared MTB bike it really does not matter.  Not enough for me to even bother replacing the ratchets with the 36 or 48 that is readily available and take 3 min to install.

On my single speed I  still have  Kings and love the quick engagement.

E-Bikes = Trail Closures

IP Logged

nicedart
Coaster Bike

Reply #8 - 02/26/16 at 8:59pm
Print Post  
I choose my hubs, hope pro 2 evo's, basically because it's so easy to change the configuration. Between that and after watching a video of how easy/basic they are to break down it was an easy choice for me.

I recently had a bearing go bad, &^&^ happens, and it took me about 30 mins to replace it. (not counting the research time to find the video and bearing size). 

IP Logged

FredRubble
Little Ring

Reply #9 - 02/27/16 at 12:26am
Print Post  
yyNuke wrote on 02/26/16 at 3:07pm:
So I have a particular question to add to the OPs.  I got a new set of Industry 9 wheels with a classic torch Hub.  I noticed when I have my bike hanging and spin the back wheel, it seems to coast to a stop sooner.  I thought this made sense as the increased engagement had to come at a cost, but the friction resistance added is insignificant when riding the bike.

How new are they?  They may just need a "break in" period... I'm assuming your rotor isn't rubbing?
« Last Edit: 02/27/16 at 12:27am by FredRubble »  

IP Logged

Woods Rider
Small Cog

I wanna ride

Reply #10 - 02/27/16 at 2:41pm
Print Post  
When you listen to rear hubs like the I9's that buzzing is friction. There is a trade off the more pawls and points of engagement the more friction when coasting, this is the cost having fast engagement. So when you spin the wheel it will come to a stop sooner, but so would a hub with heavier pawls and stiffer springs. But keep in mind the energy used to over come the friction is very small and having fast engagement can be a big advantage in a technical section of the trail. If you look at the whole drive line you can find lots of places where energy is wasted.

Government has no reason to use common sense or be efficient as it pays no price for failure.

IP Logged

Cherokee
Little Ring

Reply #11 - 02/27/16 at 10:30pm
Print Post  
I have to respectfully disagree with some of the others. In my experience good hubs made a huge difference. When I went from a lower end LBS bike to an upper end (though several years old) bike, the difference in the hubs (basic Shimano to Mavic Crossmax) was major. For months after the change, when riding familiar trails I noticed the way the bike took off after cresting a hill and starting down. It was not that I expected it; it kept surprising me. I coasted through sections I had previously pedaled through. This was with similar tires. IMO any resistance in the hub must be overcome with every pedal stroke and every rotation of the wheel. A small difference in resistance adds up over the course of a ride. I think it's one of the best improvements that can be made. High end shifters and derailleurs are nice, but they don't do much to make you faster. Good hubs and a good bottom bracket do make you faster during a ride and fresher at the end.

The difference between a very good hub and a great hub may not be large, but from cheap to very good was noticeable for me. Like most component upgrades, there's the law of diminishing returns.

"The state is the great fiction by which each of us seeks to live at the expense of all of us."    --19th century French economist Frederic Bastiat

IP Logged

49erRider
Ex Member

Reply #12 - 02/27/16 at 11:54pm
Print Post  
Cherokee wrote on 02/27/16 at 10:30pm:
I have to respectfully disagree with some of the others. In my experience good hubs made a huge difference. When I went from a lower end LBS bike to an upper end (though several years old) bike, the difference in the hubs (basic Shimano to Mavic Crossmax) was major. For months after the change, when riding familiar trails I noticed the way the bike took off after cresting a hill and starting down. It was not that I expected it; it kept surprising me. I coasted through sections I had previously pedaled through. This was with similar tires. IMO any resistance in the hub must be overcome with every pedal stroke and every rotation of the wheel. A small difference in resistance adds up over the course of a ride. I think it's one of the best improvements that can be made. High end shifters and derailleurs are nice, but they don't do much to make you faster. Good hubs and a good bottom bracket do make you faster during a ride and fresher at the end.

The difference between a very good hub and a great hub may not be large, but from cheap to very good was noticeable for me. Like most component upgrades, there's the law of diminishing returns.

But really that comparison can only be made when the only thing changed is the hubs.  Lots of factors to consider when switching between bikes.   

IP Logged

The Cycle Path
IB Room
In The Loop
Project Board

Treasurer '11 to '18.
Trail Chair '12-'18,
'20-'21

Reply #13 - 02/28/16 at 9:38pm
Print Post  
Agreed ^^^^.  You were more likely feeling the lower rotational mash of a lighter wheel/rim over a stock wheel.  I've had Chris Kings and Hope Pro II EVO's on my mtb's and Industry 9 hubs on my CX/GG bike and they all have their merits.  I like the Chris Kings because they have by far the best and most reliable bearings you can get on any hub...period.  Their bearings are also highly serviceable many, many times.  Their freehub engagement is good and through it's design the harder you pedal the more clamping force the ring gear has.  = no slipping.  What I don't like about the CK's are they are not user friendly at all and require their own set of tools (that Chris King makes.  And they are as beautiful as the hubs!) to completely service.  I like the Hopes and the I-9's for the ease of service but choose the Hopes as their bearings tend to last longer than the I-9's, IMHE.

If you want less rolling resistance and a livelier wheel, look at a complete wheel build with good quality rims, spokes and hubs.

We carry the finest from Specialized, Yeti, Transition, and Kona.
IP Logged

Cherokee
Little Ring

Reply #14 - 02/29/16 at 3:18am
Print Post  
49erRider wrote on 02/27/16 at 11:54pm:

But really that comparison can only be made when the only thing changed is the hubs.  Lots of factors to consider when switching between bikes.  

The second bike was superior in many ways...better fork, shock, shifters derailleurs, seatpost, saddle, brakes, and I could go on. But none of those components had any impact when simply coasting. 

The OP asked if better hubs would have an impact. Most responses seemed to deal with what hubs they liked and why. I thought I'd answer the question from my experience. Your results may vary.

"The state is the great fiction by which each of us seeks to live at the expense of all of us."    --19th century French economist Frederic Bastiat

IP Logged

BudLeach
Small Cog

Reply #15 - 02/29/16 at 3:22pm
Print Post  
Cherokee wrote on 02/29/16 at 3:18am:

The second bike was superior in many ways...better fork, shock, shifters derailleurs, seatpost, saddle, brakes, and I could go on. But none of those components had any impact when simply coasting. 

The OP asked if better hubs would have an impact. Most responses seemed to deal with what hubs they liked and why. I thought I'd answer the question from my experience. Your results may vary.

In the real world, trail conditions, rider technique, tire design, tire pressure, brake drag, suspension damping characteristics, and to some extent suspension geometry all have an effect on conservation of forward momentum while coasting. As does wheel bearing friction, and freehub friction.  

When you change all of those things at once, the net result can be a perceptible change (for better or worse). 

Other things to consider... riding an all together better bike can allow for more rider confidence, which can result in being able to carry more entry speed into the flat sections where you would coast through. The bike taking off after cresting a hill (i.e accelerating) likely has more to do with a lower moment of inertia on the better (lighter) wheel/tire combo, and to a lesser extent, lower overall bike weight. Less mass to accelerate results in quicker acceleration.
« Last Edit: 02/29/16 at 3:27pm by BudLeach »  

IP Logged

sCvHeaVens
Small Cog

Reply #16 - 03/07/16 at 7:39pm
Print Post  
I'm going to chime in here... I've heard how wheelsets make all the difference but I kept putting it off as I wanted the perfect set, one time buy, that would hold up to my fat muscular frame... and I wanted them cheap!

Finally I had Enoch build me up a set and yes they make a difference....  I went from a cheap formula hub to a hope pro 4.  While ideal rolling distance may not change much, how easy it is to achieve that ideal rolling resistance does change.  For the life of me I could not adjust, rebuild, pray, or anything to get my front hub to not "stick" and roll like crap... if I loosened it a hair it would wobble once mounted so there wasn't much I could do...  Now going from hope pro 4 to i9 is there a difference in rolling resistance... probably not.  If you flip your bike over and the wheel abruptly stops rolling no matter how much you adjust the hubs then I will say yes you'll notice a difference.  With the hopes and probably any decent hub (my boss' relabeled dt swiss roll on par so for him I wouldn't recommend new hubs) it should keep spinning for days.

That's my opinion!

IP Logged

MTBman1127
Small Cog

Work Ride Drink Beer

Reply #17 - 03/07/16 at 8:18pm
Print Post  
I just blindly throw money at I9 because they make pretty colors and go bzzzzzzz.

Also they are stiff as $h!t, set up tubeless well, I can beat them up in Pisgah and not have to true them after, have almost instant engagement, and are almost universally configurable. oh did I mention they were pretty.

Also I don't usually notice a big difference going from a "normal" wheel to I9 but I notice what normal wheels don't have once I get back on one, if that makes any sense.
« Last Edit: 03/07/16 at 8:19pm by MTBman1127 »  

Triangle Pest Control - 704.698.5357 - Low Trailblazer Rates
(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

IP Logged

MTBman1127
Small Cog

Work Ride Drink Beer

Reply #18 - 03/07/16 at 8:22pm
Print Post  
The Cycle Path wrote on 02/28/16 at 9:38pm:
Agreed ^^^^.  You were more likely feeling the lower rotational mash of a lighter wheel/rim over a stock wheel.  I've had Chris Kings and Hope Pro II EVO's on my mtb's and Industry 9 hubs on my CX/GG bike and they all have their merits.  I like the Chris Kings because they have by far the best and most reliable bearings you can get on any hub...period.  Their bearings are also highly serviceable many, many times.  Their freehub engagement is good and through it's design the harder you pedal the more clamping force the ring gear has.  = no slipping.  What I don't like about the CK's are they are not user friendly at all and require their own set of tools (that Chris King makes.  And they are as beautiful as the hubs!) to completely service.  I like the Hopes and the I-9's for the ease of service but choose the Hopes as their bearings tend to last longer than the I-9's, IMHE.

If you want less rolling resistance and a livelier wheel, look at a complete wheel build with good quality rims, spokes and hubs.

All good point's, you can get ceramic bearing from i9 on the order and I normally just get some boca bearing ceramic hybrids once my normal bearings wear out in my wheels. 

Triangle Pest Control - 704.698.5357 - Low Trailblazer Rates
(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

IP Logged

BudLeach
Small Cog

Reply #19 - 03/09/16 at 3:45pm
Print Post  
sCvHeaVens wrote on 03/07/16 at 7:39pm:
I'm going to chime in here... I've heard how wheelsets make all the difference but I kept putting it off as I wanted the perfect set, one time buy, that would hold up to my fat muscular frame... and I wanted them cheap!

Finally I had Enoch build me up a set and yes they make a difference....  I went from a cheap formula hub to a hope pro 4.  While ideal rolling distance may not change much, how easy it is to achieve that ideal rolling resistance does change.  For the life of me I could not adjust, rebuild, pray, or anything to get my front hub to not "stick" and roll like crap... if I loosened it a hair it would wobble once mounted so there wasn't much I could do...  Now going from hope pro 4 to i9 is there a difference in rolling resistance... probably not.  If you flip your bike over and the wheel abruptly stops rolling no matter how much you adjust the hubs then I will say yes you'll notice a difference.  With the hopes and probably any decent hub (my boss' relabeled dt swiss roll on par so for him I wouldn't recommend new hubs) it should keep spinning for days.

That's my opinion!

I definitely agree. Cup/cone style wheel bearings are a major PITA to get adjusted properly. If you ride on them for any significant distance while they are not set just right, it will cause irreparable damage and they will never roll smooth again. When that happens, the hubs basically need to be thrown away. If you find yourself in that situation it definitely makes sense to upgrade to something that at least has cartridge bearings.

Entire wheelsets DO make a huge difference. Part of that, no doubt, is due to the hubs. But most of it is due to weight savings and stiffness of build. If you have the cash and are looking to make an upgrade, wheels are a great place to invest your money. 

The only other upgrade that would have as noticeable of an impact would probably be suspension. Particularity upgrading a fork from a steel stanchion, coil spring unit to aluminum stanchion, air spring, with proper damping.   

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 
Print