Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2]  Print
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) Pisgah 55.5k (Read 4094 times)
Banjopickin
Big Ring

Spinnin' knees & Hittin'
trees since '85

Re: Pisgah 55.5k
Reply #20 - 05/23/16 at 8:54pm
Print Post  
Enoch wrote on 05/23/16 at 7:57pm:
Nice write up , welcome to North Carolina kinda race

yep... Them thar hills are tough.

Sucks about the course sabotage.

I was not far behind you when you ran over that Snake. I grabbed a stick and tossed it out of the trail. Bad place to get bit by a rattler that far up Laurel Mtn.

If you were not familiar with the trails and the route I could see how you could get off course. Especially if someone messed with the signage. I didnt even notice it was wrong when I passed it but i heard quite a few folks made the wrong turn there. 

On the bright side... you missed out on the two worse hike-a-bikes on the course. The one up to Pilot is short but nasty and the one coming over Black at the end is long and requires all fours to get up some of it. Hitting that late in a race can be demoralizing. Save the hardest parts for the end I guess... And you got to ride one of the gnarliest off map descents in Pisgah!  Smiley

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links) (Attachment deleted)

Advocat wrote on 08/22/13 at 5:16pm:
...packin some Chub in the back of the pick-up.

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

IP Logged

pearl
Little Ring

Reply #21 - 05/23/16 at 11:55pm
Print Post  
Enoch wrote on 05/23/16 at 7:57pm:
Nice write up , welcome to North Carolina kinda race

Ouch! is that normal in Pisgah? Can you actually do a loop and not hike up a trail for 50 minutes?

Banjopickin wrote on 05/23/16 at 8:54pm:

yep... Them thar hills are tough.

Sucks about the course sabotage.

I was not far behind you when you ran over that Snake. I grabbed a stick and tossed it out of the trail. Bad place to get bit by a rattler that far up Laurel Mtn.

If you were not familiar with the trails and the route I could see how you could get off course. Especially if someone messed with the signage. I didnt even notice it was wrong when I passed it but i heard quite a few folks made the wrong turn there. 

On the bright side... you missed out on the two worse hike-a-bikes on the course. The one up to Pilot is short but nasty and the one coming over Black at the end is long and requires all fours to get up some of it. Hitting that late in a race can be demoralizing. Save the hardest parts for the end I guess... And you got to ride one of the gnarliest off map descents in Pisgah!  Smiley

Oh man, did we ride together at all? 
Those hike a bikes were rough, I'm icing my bruise and battered knee now and man, this one will be hard to forget!

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links) (Attachment deleted)

IP Logged

madss
Little Ring

Reply #22 - 05/24/16 at 1:38pm
Print Post  
yea great write up! that sounds like everyone first pisgah race. once ya learn the trails up there it's much more fun and less a mental grenade. do the 111k next year, it's longer but ya get a lot of ride time, if it's not downpouring that is. Oh and the SS is a much more reliable tool up there
« Last Edit: 05/24/16 at 1:39pm by madss »  
IP Logged

pearl
Little Ring

Reply #23 - 05/24/16 at 1:56pm
Print Post  
Thanks man, I rode SS exclusively for 4-5 years, but now at the ripe age of 30 I can't deal with the back pain while climbing  Wink

is the 111k just double the distance or more road?

IP Logged

Banjopickin
Big Ring

Spinnin' knees & Hittin'
trees since '85

Reply #24 - 05/24/16 at 2:22pm
Print Post  
pearl wrote on 05/24/16 at 1:56pm:

is the 111k just double the distance or more road?

Its more of everything. You start with much less hike-a-bike and more actual trail climbing up Clawhammer on the way to Squirrel Gap. The main difference is that at the Laurel aid station after climbing Bradley Creek gravel road you go down to ride N. Mills (Spencer Gap/Branch and Fletcher Creek) and then climb back out and do the rest of the 55k course (Laurel/Pilot -> S. Mills/Buckhorn -> Black mtn.)

I think I did rode with you for a sec or two... I smashed my thumb on Turkey Pen and couldnt ride much of anything after that. I think you passed me shortly before you saw the snake.

The 55k route is arguably the hardest route in that mileage you can do up here. There are longer, harder races but none that pack in that much suffering in 35 miles. Also, if you arent used to the terrain and the trails its just that much harder.

Ride Pisgah more and learn the trails. Do fun rides and figure out the lay of the land and you'll be ready to crush next time around...
« Last Edit: 05/24/16 at 2:22pm by Banjopickin »  

Advocat wrote on 08/22/13 at 5:16pm:
...packin some Chub in the back of the pick-up.

IP Logged

PainkillerSPE
Big Ring

Reply #25 - 05/24/16 at 2:59pm
Print Post  
The 111k was one of the toughest races I have ever done but it was fun. It took me just about as long to finish the 111k as it did to complete the Shenandoah 100 miler (which is also really good and you owe it to yourself to do it at least once or twice  Smiley).

rob wrote on 05/01/12 at 6:01pm:
Shearing the shaft member after a hard ride is acceptable in my book.

IP Logged

pearl
Little Ring

Reply #26 - 05/24/16 at 4:12pm
Print Post  
Banjopickin wrote on 05/24/16 at 2:22pm:
I think I did rode with you for a sec or two... I smashed my thumb on Turkey Pen and couldnt ride much of anything after that. I think you passed me shortly before you saw the snake.

Sweet! What kit where you in? I felt great once I could climb and actually pedal my bike, the hiking made me want to cry!

PainkillerSPE wrote on 05/24/16 at 2:59pm:
The 111k was one of the toughest races I have ever done but it was fun. It took me just about as long to finish the 111k as it did to complete the Shenandoah 100 miler (which is also really good and you owe it to yourself to do it at least once or twice  Smiley).

Always wanted to do Shen but in NJ cross starts first week in September (not sure if CX is forbidden discussion on this board Wink) but now that it seems to be in October I have thought about it more and more... I recently did the Stokesville 60k which had a bunch of the fun trails (I think) that SM100 does... having a baby in November so it may be difficult to swing these things in the future. Thankfully my wife rides too and is super supportive of me, for now anyway!

IP Logged

pearl
Little Ring

Reply #27 - 05/13/17 at 9:24pm
Print Post  
BUMP! Redemption this year. Wider bars and dropper post and hopefully I can follow the GPX loop this time.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 
Print