Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Print
Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) 1 by 11 speed drivetrain? (Read 1197 times)
Meisterberger

Work Ride Tarheel Trailblazers

1 by 11 speed drivetrain?
07/24/16 at 2:43pm
Print Post  
Wanting to ditch the front shifter but with Sram and Shimano coming out with newer chainsets and cassettes daily and then 12 speed ? Really. What are you using for Mountain rides with steep climbs? I currently have a 30t 22t in the front and a 11/36 rear Shocked

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links) (Attachment deleted)

IP Logged

IntheBush
Big Ring

Re: 1 by 11 speed drivetrain?
Reply #1 - 07/24/16 at 3:43pm
Print Post  
Both my bikes have 1x setup (32t). One is a 1x10, the other is 1x11.

Functionally, the two are almost identical. But I think the less expensive 1x10 shifts better.

The 1x11 is Shimano XT m8000

The 1x10 is generic 10 speed speed cassette, cheapest Shimano 10 speed clutch derailleur I could find and a truvativ 1x crank with race face narrow wide. 

I can't tell that I'm actually using the greater range of the 1x11 since I mostly use 3 to 4 gears max anyway. The granny gear of either I almost never use. I don't see any reason for an 11 speed cassette. I don't see any reason for a 12 speed cassette.

No matter what setup you've got, sometimes you're using foot power anyway. Trying to ride a too spinny of a gear doesn't provide enough forward momentum to keep the bike balanced, and standing up just spins your rear tire. A 22x36? I can't even imagine that. So why carry the extra weight?

Any of the above is fine with a 30 or 32 front. 32 around here, and 30 for the mountains. I think 30 is probably the best option for both worlds. You just don't need the lower gears of the 32t front unless you plan on using your bike to run the road also.

Hope this helps.
« Last Edit: 07/24/16 at 4:05pm by IntheBush »  
(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links) (Attachment deleted)

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

IP Logged

BudLeach
Small Cog

Reply #2 - 07/24/16 at 4:25pm
Print Post  
I have a SRAM 1x11 setup. I run a 30t in front, 10-42 cassette, 27.5" wheels. It has all the range I need. Could definitely get away a 32 around Charlotte. But even with the 30 I never find myself topping out anywhere. Even in real mountains (Pisgah), if you can't climb it in a 30x42 gear, you might as well just get off and hike it, or take a second to catch your breath before carrying on. At that point you're moving at walking pace anyways; lower gears aren't gonna make much difference. 

Do keep in mind that wheel size affects final drive ratio. To get a similar granny gear as my current setup, on a 29er, would require a 28t chain ring.

I love my 1x and never plan on going back to 2x for mtb. FWIW, a SRAM Eagle 1x12 with a 30t would have a wider range than your current 2x setup... It is also insanely expensive.
« Last Edit: 07/24/16 at 4:27pm by BudLeach »  

IP Logged

Ridefour15
Little Ring

Reply #3 - 07/24/16 at 4:33pm
Print Post  
The advantage of the 1x12 systems isn't for even lower gears specifically, but to have higher gears without losing your low gears.  Instead of a 32t chainring you can use a 36t and have a much higher top end without losing your effective granny gear.

IP Logged

StevenA
Coaster Bike

Reply #4 - 07/24/16 at 5:37pm
Print Post  
I'm using 30T with a 11 speed 10-42t cassette on 29s and there are enough gears to climb the steepest hill of Laurel at LNSP and new East Main at USNWC.  Those might not be steep enough examples compared by mountain standards but those are the steepest I have hit so far.

Try a demo bike with 1x11 at your local bike shop to see how you like it.  Specialized Camber has a 28T 29er and Stumpjumper is 30T 29er so you can compare.

Everyone is different but my thoughts are if you are making the climbs now with your current set then you will still make them on 1x11 and probably never go back to 2x.

I used to be addicted to the Hokey Pokey but then I turned myself around.

IP Logged

renoirbud
Small Cog

Reply #5 - 07/25/16 at 12:06am
Print Post  
I run 1x11, 34 front, 10-42 rear.  All on a 160mm travel 27.5.  I ride this bike everywhere and feel it covers everything I need for gear range.

Sometimes the 42 rear still seems too slow (allows me to get lazy)(Yes, I know that is what the shifter is for), but the next smaller 11 speed for my XD driver is a 32, and that spooks me a little.

The space where your front shifter lives is better used for a dropper lever.
« Last Edit: 07/25/16 at 12:07am by renoirbud »  

E-Bikes = Trail Closures

IP Logged

The Cycle Path
IB Room
In The Loop
Project Board

Treasurer '11 to '18.
Trail Chair '12-'18,
'20-'21

Reply #6 - 07/25/16 at 12:47am
Print Post  
renoirbud wrote on 07/25/16 at 12:06am:
I run 1x11, 34 front, 10-42 rear.  All on a 160mm travel 27.5.  I ride this bike everywhere and feel it covers everything I need for gear range.

Sometimes the 42 rear still seems too slow (allows me to get lazy)(Yes, I know that is what the shifter is for), but the next smaller 11 speed for my XD driver is a 32, and that spooks me a little.

The space where your front shifter lives is better used for a dropper lever.

I ran a 30x10-42 up at Masanutten the other week and had enough gear.  The 42 is nice for those really steep pitches and when you're just plain worn out! Shocked  Wink

We carry the finest from Specialized, Yeti, Transition, and Kona.
IP Logged

flynbryan19
Small Cog

Reply #7 - 07/25/16 at 12:42pm
Print Post  
The Cycle Path wrote on 07/25/16 at 12:47am:

I ran a 30x10-42 up at Masanutten the other week and had enough gear.  The 42 is nice for those really steep pitches and when you're just plain worn out! Shocked  Wink

I was just up there about 2 months ago for a family trip.  How were the trails?

Bryan Sutherland

IP Logged

Nuke
Coaster Bike

Work Ride Wolfpack Trailblazer

Reply #8 - 07/25/16 at 1:09pm
Print Post  
I use a triple 11-36 10 Speed, 40-30-22.  I have been riding for over 2.5 years and have got in pretty good shape but I still need or want the range I have.  The low range I find helpful after a grueling climb or when climbing a rooty section and I needed just a little umph after a loss of momentum.

I demo'd a 1x11 SRAM at WWC and ended up spinning out the top gear on the trail in a few places--that was disappointing.

The SRAM technology does interest me.  The horizontal only movement of the shifter I understand to offer a a lot benefits from the elimination of ghost shifting and faster shifting.

For me, no need to spend the money now.  Hopefully the Eagle pricing will get more reasonable when I'm in the market for a new bike.

IP Logged

The Cycle Path
IB Room
In The Loop
Project Board

Treasurer '11 to '18.
Trail Chair '12-'18,
'20-'21

Reply #9 - 07/25/16 at 6:01pm
Print Post  
flynbryan19 wrote on 07/25/16 at 12:42pm:

I was just up there about 2 months ago for a family trip.  How were the trails?

Flippin' awesome!  If you like rocks, rocks and MOAR ROCKS!!!

We carry the finest from Specialized, Yeti, Transition, and Kona.
IP Logged

TINman
Coaster Bike

Reply #10 - 07/25/16 at 6:48pm
Print Post  
Nuke wrote on 07/25/16 at 1:09pm:
I use a triple 11-36 10 Speed, 40-30-22.  I have been riding for over 2.5 years and have got in pretty good shape but I still need or want the range I have.  The low range I find helpful after a grueling climb or when climbing a rooty section and I needed just a little umph after a loss of momentum.

I demo'd a 1x11 SRAM at WWC and ended up spinning out the top gear on the trail in a few places--that was disappointing.

The SRAM technology does interest me.  The horizontal only movement of the shifter I understand to offer a a lot benefits from the elimination of ghost shifting and faster shifting.

For me, no need to spend the money now.  Hopefully the Eagle pricing will get more reasonable when I'm in the market for a new bike.

If you're spinning out in the top gear you can always put a bigger NW chain ring on it. I run a XT 1x11 setup with a 32T ring. The 32 works great for most applications. Can I top it out? Yes, pretty easily if I'm trying but the 32x42 seems to work the best on the low end. Road Pisgah yesterday with no problems going up or down.

No matter how slow you go you're still lapping everyone on the couch!

IP Logged

Enoch
Forum Administrator
IB Room
Project Board
In The Loop

Walked with God and he
was not

Reply #11 - 07/25/16 at 6:57pm
Print Post  
Nuke wrote on 07/25/16 at 1:09pm:
I use a triple 11-36 10 Speed, 40-30-22. 

I use a triple also. Only difference is I use a 11/32 cassette normaly. I'm just not having much issue so I see NO need to go 1 X.

Do what you like. Stop hating people for their riding habits and get back to hating them for their skin color, religion, politics, and sexual orientation.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Print