Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 3  Print
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) TUBELESS (Read 4079 times)
Marlingreen
Coaster Bike

Work Ride Tarheel Trailblazers

TUBELESS
10/12/16 at 3:30pm
Print Post  
OK...do you really need sealant for tubeless tires? I say this because I put air and seems to be holding. I am guessing sealant is only needed to deal with holes or punctures and you don't need them just for the sake of having tubeless. Lets here what the experts say from here. Was not planning to get sealant but if all says it is a must have then i might go get it.

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links) (Attachment deleted)

IP Logged

Banjopickin
Big Ring

Spinnin' knees & Hittin'
trees since '85

Re: TUBELESS
Reply #1 - 10/12/16 at 4:10pm
Print Post  
Depends on the tire and rim...

Some tires are advertised as "TR" or "TCS" meaning Tubeless Ready or Tubeless Compatible. This is typically a thinner tire (sidewall etc.) than a UST tire and requires sealant to prevent air loss at the bead.

This is different than UST, which is the tubeless classification for the rim/tire combo. The tire and rim beads are designed to engage one another with an air tight seal.

True UST tire and rim systems can be run without sealant but most people use sealant for punctures etc. Whats strange is I used to have UST Maxxis tires where if you used sealant you voided the warranty so go figure on that one...

FWIW why not go with sealant? Its cheap, easy to install, doesnt weight much, and can save your a$$ when you puncture a tire. I was caught solo 15 miles into Pisgah once and punctured a tire after already flatting and using my tube on another. A few good spins of the tire to get the sealant at the puncture and I was good to go. Even rode another few weeks on the seal without patching the tire.

Without sealant I would've been camping... Wink
« Last Edit: 10/12/16 at 6:38pm by Banjopickin »  
(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links) (Attachment deleted)

Advocat wrote on 08/22/13 at 5:16pm:
...packin some Chub in the back of the pick-up.

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

IP Logged

Slothzilla
Small Cog

Reply #2 - 10/12/16 at 6:41pm
Print Post  
Do you really need it?  Maybe not to get a local ride in

Should you use it?  Depends on how much you like hiking

Would I ride tubeless without sealant?  Nope

IP Logged

OoHoO
Little Ring

Gnar...Gnar...Gnar..

Reply #3 - 10/12/16 at 7:54pm
Print Post  
Very little downside with sealant

Substantial amounts of additional risk without sealant and very minimal advantage.   

Its a pretty easy decision for me.

Sealant will also slow down the slower leaks that happen on purely a tire to rim connection.

2016 Santa Cruz Hightower CC 29 - Ridin' It
2014 Specialized Stumpjumper FSR 29 - Gone
2012 Cannondale Trail 6 - Gone

IP Logged

DK
Small Cog

Reply #4 - 10/12/16 at 8:08pm
Print Post  
When I got my current bike I got my first experience with tubeless tires.  I didn't know that much about it at the time.  I quickly learned that the sealant was keeping me riding on tires that would get small punctures in them.  It's super simple to use and I'd much rather ride my bike off the trail than walk it.

David

2016 Santa Cruz Tallboy C

IP Logged

ChosenOne
Little Ring

Reply #5 - 10/13/16 at 11:58pm
Print Post  
Bigger question is do you need to run tubeless.

To me it is a stupid fad that brings little value for the headache it brings.  The only thing cool is I can run tubeless tires and wheels at very low PSI with an inner tube and if I do get a snake bite it will usually take 24 hrs to completely flatten out.
I tried tubeless and the sealant &^&^  #$% up my Mavic rims... corroded the crap out of them. 

Perhaps a few grams or ounces make a difference to some...  I have learned that lighter = more expensive = more maintenance = less durability = more money.

IP Logged

FredRubble
Little Ring

Reply #6 - 10/14/16 at 1:39am
Print Post  
ChosenOne wrote on 10/13/16 at 11:58pm:
Bigger question is do you need to run tubeless.

To me it is a stupid fad that brings little value for the headache it brings.  The only thing cool is I can run tubeless tires and wheels at very low PSI with an inner tube and if I do get a snake bite it will usually take 24 hrs to completely flatten out.
I tried tubeless and the sealant &^&^  #$% up my Mavic rims... corroded the crap out of them. 

Perhaps a few grams or ounces make a difference to some...  I have learned that lighter = more expensive = more maintenance = less durability = more money.

Fads are short lived...Tubeless=not fad....

IP Logged

mountainbiker90
Small Cog

Is it 5 yet??

Reply #7 - 10/14/16 at 4:18am
Print Post  
I guess a comfy saddle and shoes are optional too. I'll take tubeless any day. Never had any corrosion issues using Stans.  Can count the number of trail flats I've had in the past 10 years on one hand. 

Edit:

To answer the original question, yes you do need Stans sealant in them. Makes a huge difference in reliability.  As well, tires are porous and will slowly leak air without it. Spray some soapy water on the tires. You'll see lots of small white foamy bubbles after a few minutes. Stans is great for sealing it all up and also sealing small punctures too.
« Last Edit: 10/14/16 at 4:27am by mountainbiker90 »  

Yeah, to the best of my knowledge:)

IP Logged

Nuke
Coaster Bike

Work Ride Wolfpack Trailblazer

Reply #8 - 10/14/16 at 12:00pm
Print Post  
The tubeless fad on car tires is about to end any day now.

IP Logged

csquared
Little Ring

Get busy living or Get
Busy Dying!

Reply #9 - 10/14/16 at 12:20pm
Print Post  
Sealant is about reliability and a little peace of mind.  It's one of those things that you might not need until you need it... as others have said... It's cheap, effective, and will keep your ride going when without you might be hiking.  IMHO, there are minimal downsides if any to using sealant with Tubeless.  "If" you ARE running tubeless... then why would you NOT run sealant?  
« Last Edit: 10/14/16 at 12:23pm by csquared »  

IP Logged

Banjopickin
Big Ring

Spinnin' knees & Hittin'
trees since '85

Reply #10 - 10/14/16 at 1:09pm
Print Post  
To me it has nothing to do with dropping the weight of the tube or running lighter tires or running low PSI. I still have to run pretty high pressure (35psi +)with tubeless and burly dual compound/EXO/etc tires to keep my wheels in tact on the trails here in WNC.

The main reason for tubeless is that you will never pinch flat again

For those not wanting to run sealant but want tubeless benefits there is Pro Core...

Advocat wrote on 08/22/13 at 5:16pm:
...packin some Chub in the back of the pick-up.

IP Logged

flynbryan19
Small Cog

Reply #11 - 10/14/16 at 1:46pm
Print Post  
lol.  Fad huh?  I just don't understand how people feel its so difficult to run tubeless wheels/tires.  If you have even a mild mechanical ability setting up a tubeless ready tire/wheel combo is cake walk.  And as others have stated small trail debris punctures are a non-issue.  Then of course there is the low PSI benefits.  I'm all on board.  It's just basic progression of a product.

Bryan Sutherland

IP Logged

Nuke
Coaster Bike

Reply #12 - 10/14/16 at 2:26pm
Print Post  
I will say the first time I installed a TL tire (Schwalbe) it was a struggle--and I was using an air compressor.  Ended up needing to use a spray bottle with soapy water.  The  Maxxis tires I have now were pretty easy.

IP Logged

Nuke
Coaster Bike

Reply #13 - 10/14/16 at 2:34pm
Print Post  
Banjopickin wrote on 10/14/16 at 1:09pm:

For those not wanting to run sealant but want tubeless benefits there is Pro Core...

12 psi!

IP Logged

OoHoO
Little Ring

Gnar...Gnar...Gnar..

Reply #14 - 10/15/16 at 7:41pm
Print Post  
Nuke wrote on 10/14/16 at 2:26pm:
I will say the first time I installed a TL tire (Schwalbe) it was a struggle--and I was using an air compressor.  Ended up needing to use a spray bottle with soapy water.  The  Maxxis tires I have now were pretty easy. 

ALWAYS use the soapy water..makes life way easier...also I've started using the Stan's Race and you can use quite a bit less with the same effectiveness as the original Stan's, for those worried about a little wheel weight

2016 Santa Cruz Hightower CC 29 - Ridin' It
2014 Specialized Stumpjumper FSR 29 - Gone
2012 Cannondale Trail 6 - Gone

IP Logged

ChosenOne
Little Ring

Reply #15 - 10/17/16 at 10:36pm
Print Post  
Banjopickin wrote on 10/14/16 at 1:09pm:
To me it has nothing to do with dropping the weight of the tube or running lighter tires or running low PSI. I still have to run pretty high pressure (35psi +)with tubeless and burly dual compound/EXO/etc tires to keep my wheels in tact on the trails here in WNC.

The main reason for tubeless is that you will never pinch flat again

I rarely pinch flat and I will run as low as 20psi.  Any lower and the tires start to fold under when loading up in the turns. Most of the flats that I have had in the last few years have been from thorns.  I suppose I can use sealant in the tubes if it were that big of a problem.

Nothing wrong w/ tubeless if you have the right tires and wheels made to run tubeless then everything works perfectly.  Otherwise I have blown tires off the rim running tubeless with tires that were not designed to be run tubeless.

IP Logged

ChosenOne
Little Ring

Reply #16 - 10/18/16 at 12:16am
Print Post  
flynbryan19 wrote on 10/14/16 at 1:46pm:
lol.  Fad huh?  I just don't understand how people feel its so difficult to run tubeless wheels/tires.  If you have even a mild mechanical ability setting up a tubeless ready tire/wheel combo is cake walk.  And as others have stated small trail debris punctures are a non-issue.  Then of course there is the low PSI benefits.  I'm all on board.  It's just basic progression of a product.

Yep..  It's a fad.  When OEMs start selling off-the-shelf tubeless it will no longer be a fad.  Until then it's a fad.... the benefits of which are marginal if weight savings is not a key goal.

IP Logged

ChosenOne
Little Ring

Reply #17 - 10/18/16 at 12:36am
Print Post  
I should add that I am interested in that Schwallawhateva dual tube setup.  

I can run lower PSI in my current setup which is; Mavic crossmax 19mm width rim with WTB Weirwolf 2.3, and a 2.3 inner tube, than I could tubeless.  With tubes these tires experience a lot less roll in hard cornering. 
« Last Edit: 10/18/16 at 12:37am by ChosenOne »  

IP Logged

ChosenOne
Little Ring

Reply #18 - 10/18/16 at 12:46am
Print Post  
Nuke wrote on 10/14/16 at 12:00pm:
The tubeless fad on car tires is about to end any day now.

Tubeless car tires don't need sealant. 
Please don't confuse this topic with car tires...  There is a lot of safety studies to go with the standards change from tube to tubeless in the automobile industry... not so much in the MTB industry.

IP Logged

ChosenOne
Little Ring

Reply #19 - 10/18/16 at 12:47am
Print Post  
Sry,.. I dont want to appear to be on a crusade... I am just trying to bump mypost count Wink

NOT

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 3 
Print