Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2  Print
Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) Leaving hitch racks attached or no? (Read 2307 times)
jeremiah

Work Ride Tarheel Trailblazers

Leaving hitch racks attached or no?
07/17/17 at 1:13am
Print Post  
I know this is a stupid question and comes down to personal preference but do any of you leave your hitch mounted bike rack attached to your vehicle or do you dismount and store it. I've always removed mine and stored it inside where rain and rust won't be an issue. My newest rack is big, heavy and awkward (Thule T2 Pro XT). The wifey complains about having to mess with it but I also don't want to have it get ruined.

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links) (Attachment deleted)

Niner EMD Frankenbike
Mongoose Malus Fatbike

IP Logged

DK
Small Cog

Re: Leaving hitch racks attached or no?
Reply #1 - 07/17/17 at 1:22am
Print Post  
My Kuat Sherpa stays mounted to the back of my car unless I'm going to be leaving my car at the airport.  I have a Lexus IS250 which is a small car but the rack rides well folded up and I've never had an issue.  I do have a locking bolt to deter anyone from trying to steal it.  It's too much of a PITA to take it on and off all the time

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links) (Attachment deleted)

David

2016 Santa Cruz Tallboy C

IP Logged

jaybase09
Coaster Bike

Reply #2 - 07/17/17 at 2:00am
Print Post  
Leave it on. Thules last forever and if it rusts beyond working shape you you need a new car anyway.

IP Logged

Yellowduck
Big Ring

Reply #3 - 07/17/17 at 1:06pm
Print Post  
My 1up stays mounted 24/7

"Riding skinny is too easy"
-MB
IP Logged

SirNotAppearing
IB Room
In The Loop

Reply #4 - 07/17/17 at 1:40pm
Print Post  
My 1up stuff stays on, no issues. Even my old yakima rooftop stuff lasted for years, always on, never garaged.
« Last Edit: 07/17/17 at 7:08pm by SirNotAppearing »  
IP Logged

sager
Big Ring

Waiting for my next ride!

Reply #5 - 07/17/17 at 6:06pm
Print Post  
1up on 24/7

IP Logged

DirtDan
Coaster Bike

Reply #6 - 07/17/17 at 6:43pm
Print Post  
My Yakima swing-away style rack stays on 24/7.  Too much a PITA to take it on and off. I keep a locking bolt in it to discourage thieves.  Never had an issue with leaving it on, other than it affecting my fuel mileage.

IP Logged

OoHoO
Little Ring

Gnar...Gnar...Gnar..

Reply #7 - 07/17/17 at 8:34pm
Print Post  
Kuat NV 24/7

2016 Santa Cruz Hightower CC 29 - Ridin' It
2014 Specialized Stumpjumper FSR 29 - Gone
2012 Cannondale Trail 6 - Gone

IP Logged

CltMTBer
Coaster Bike

Reply #8 - 07/17/17 at 8:57pm
Print Post  
Thule 9034 T2 Pro on 24/7.

IP Logged

jeremiah

Reply #9 - 07/17/17 at 11:13pm
Print Post  
Thanks for the replies!

Niner EMD Frankenbike
Mongoose Malus Fatbike

IP Logged

The Duckster
Coaster Bike

Reply #10 - 07/18/17 at 12:16am
Print Post  
I leave my Yakima platform rack on my truck 24/7 unless I am towing one of the Jetski's or another trailer of some sort. I don't like having to store it in the garage. It's kind of bulky and I don't have a good storage solution for it yet.

IP Logged

journey
Coaster Bike

ILV2MTB

Reply #11 - 07/18/17 at 12:30am
Print Post  
My Thule T2 stays in 24x7 -- too much work to remove and install every time I ride. They are built to last.

IP Logged

Tom F
In The Loop

I'm ready. Get the bike.

Reply #12 - 07/18/17 at 12:55am
Print Post  
Yakima Holdup x2. Stays on the back of the Equinox. It folds up and never know its there except when using the backup camera. One good point is it blocks the plate for the traffic cameras. Wink

2011 (frame) Santa Cruz Superlight & Stumpy Comp (1999), 2017 Tallboy C RX2
22Levo

IP Logged

jeremiah

Reply #13 - 07/18/17 at 12:58am
Print Post  
Haha..didn't think about that.

Niner EMD Frankenbike
Mongoose Malus Fatbike

IP Logged

fattirz
Little Ring
In The Loop

I'm not fat... I'm BIG
BONED!!!

Reply #14 - 07/18/17 at 2:32pm
Print Post  
Saris Cycle-on (tray type rack) is pretty much on my '02 F-150 24/7 these days.  Even though I have a truck, I keep the rack in the 2" receiver since the rack only holds 2 bikes and I'm usually hauling 3 bikes when taking my kids riding.

Climbing into the bed, hooking tie-down straps to bars and running a cable lock thru them is more of a pain than just using the rack.  I absolutely love the tray style racks (like the city buses have).... drop the bike in, push bar over from wheel, ratchet back wheel and go!  No worries about bikes rubbing on anything.   Cool

Every ride is a good ride... some are just better than others!
YIM  
IP Logged

rob
Big Ring

Reply #15 - 07/19/17 at 11:34pm
Print Post  
I keep the Raxter in the Jeep (or truck) hitch most of the time.

But I'll take the bike rack off the Super T when I need to add the trunk back or carry two-up.  Cheesy

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links) supert-inbred.jpg (Attachment deleted)

The Cycle Path wrote on 05/19/11 at 9:59pm:
It was fine for the race last night.  Can't see that it'd be any worse today.  Go ride!!

IP Logged

BigBikeMike
Project Board

Reply #16 - 07/20/17 at 2:58am
Print Post  
Since I can ride from my house, I rarely have to put the bike rack on the Equinox.

IP Logged

fattirz
Little Ring
In The Loop

I'm not fat... I'm BIG
BONED!!!

Reply #17 - 07/20/17 at 4:33pm
Print Post  
rob wrote on 07/19/17 at 11:34pm:
I keep the Raxter in the Jeep (or truck) hitch most of the time.
But I'll take the bike rack off the Super T when I need to add the trunk back or carry two-up.  Cheesy

OOOHHHH YEAH!!!!  Sweet set-up on the moto.  I'm hoping to do the same when I purchase a Honda CRF1000L Africa Twin, although I'm hoping to build my own bike rack that will not require taking off the front wheel (I'm a designer/draftsman working in a service engineering dept.).  Some of the shop guys do fab work on the side and I already have a design in mind.

Now I just have to sell my Honda ST1300 in order to pull the trigger on the Africa Twin.  Shocked

-Brian

YIM  
IP Logged

rob
Big Ring

Reply #18 - 07/21/17 at 9:32pm
Print Post  
fattirz wrote on 07/20/17 at 4:33pm:

OOOHHHH YEAH!!!!  Sweet set-up on the moto.  I'm hoping to do the same when I purchase a Honda CRF1000L Africa Twin, although I'm hoping to build my own bike rack that will not require taking off the front wheel (I'm a designer/draftsman working in a service engineering dept.).  Some of the shop guys do fab work on the side and I already have a design in mind.

Now I just have to sell my Honda ST1300 in order to pull the trigger on the Africa Twin.  Shocked

-Brian

Nice! I've heard those ATs are a nice ride.

Yeah, this setup is a mix match of parts I already had: old Yakima roof rack tray with a couple of u-bolts from Lowes, and a 20mm adapter. Much cheaper than the 2x2cycles.com rack. This is a temporary solution because it was easy. I have some sketches for a design that I've been talking thru with my dad. This would include some more permanent mount points with a QR rack system that would carry two bikes and give me back my rear trunk. I like the front wheel removal because it shortens the load hanging off the back and allows better COG balancing.

This setup handles very well. Although in strong cross winds or passing a semi it will keep you awake  Cheesy And the weight hanging off the back does lighten the front-end of the moto noticeably. I quickly adapted and learned the nuances and was carving the curvy mountain roads as usual.   

But I would definitely be interested in your thoughts and design...if you're willing to share Smiley

The Cycle Path wrote on 05/19/11 at 9:59pm:
It was fine for the race last night.  Can't see that it'd be any worse today.  Go ride!!

IP Logged

fattirz
Little Ring
In The Loop

I'm not fat... I'm BIG
BONED!!!

Reply #19 - 07/24/17 at 7:18pm
Print Post  
So my thought of a custom bike rack for my future Africa Twin would have the rear wheel of the bike at the left rear passenger peg (bike is facing the rear of the moto), bike bars turned 90 degrees to the left (handlebars of the bike line up with the top tube) and a tray of sorts coming off the back of the motorcycle for the front wheel of the bike secured with two short tie-down straps .  I haven't done a mock-up at all, so who knows how well it would work at this point?  That's the basic gist of it.  Undecided Shocked Huh

YIM  
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 
Print