Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 3  Print
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) TUBELESS (Read 4091 times)
The Cycle Path
IB Room
In The Loop
Project Board

Treasurer '11 to '18.
Trail Chair '12-'18,
'20-'21

Re: TUBELESS
Reply #20 - 10/18/16 at 1:21am
Print Post  
ChosenOne wrote on 10/18/16 at 12:16am:

Yep..  It's a fad.  When OEMs start selling off-the-shelf tubeless it will no longer be a fad.  Until then it's a fad.... the benefits of which are marginal if weight savings is not a key goal.

Specialized has been doing that for about 3 or 4 years now on most of their FS bikes.  They send it with a tube and supply the valve stem.  Rim strip for tubeless is already installed.  It's honestly one of the easiest tubeless setups I've seen. 

Take the tube out, install the valve stem, add sealant and inflate.   Smiley

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links) (Attachment deleted)

We carry the finest from Specialized, Yeti, Transition, and Kona.
IP Logged

The Cycle Path
IB Room
In The Loop
Project Board

Treasurer '11 to '18.
Trail Chair '12-'18,
'20-'21

Reply #21 - 10/18/16 at 1:22am
Print Post  
ChosenOne wrote on 10/18/16 at 12:47am:
Sry,.. I dont want to appear to be on a crusade... I am just trying to bump mypost count Wink

NOT

You gotta a looooooong way to go. Wink

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links) (Attachment deleted)

We carry the finest from Specialized, Yeti, Transition, and Kona.
IP Logged

ChosenOne
Little Ring

Reply #22 - 10/18/16 at 1:40am
Print Post  
The Cycle Path wrote on 10/18/16 at 1:21am:

Specialized has been doing that for about 3 or 4 years now on most of their FS bikes.  They send it with a tube and supply the valve stem.  Rim strip for tubeless is already installed.  It's honestly one of the easiest tubeless setups I've seen. 

Take the tube out, install the valve stem, add sealant and inflate.   Smiley

That's not what I'm talking about... when the OEMs stop shipping w/ a tube then it's full on mainstream.  There is a reason why theyr ship w/ an inner tube.

IP Logged

Tom F
In The Loop

I'm ready. Get the bike.

Reply #23 - 10/18/16 at 2:13am
Print Post  
ChosenOne wrote on 10/18/16 at 1:40am:

That's not what I'm talking about... when the OEMs stop shipping w/ a tube then it's full on mainstream.  There is a reason why theyr ship w/ an inner tube.

Santa Cruz ships tubeless.

2011 (frame) Santa Cruz Superlight & Stumpy Comp (1999), 2017 Tallboy C RX2
22Levo

IP Logged

OoHoO
Little Ring

Gnar...Gnar...Gnar..

Reply #24 - 10/18/16 at 2:56am
Print Post  
Tom F wrote on 10/18/16 at 2:13am:

Point...for the win...

2016 Santa Cruz Hightower CC 29 - Ridin' It
2014 Specialized Stumpjumper FSR 29 - Gone
2012 Cannondale Trail 6 - Gone

IP Logged

DK
Small Cog

Work Ride Tarheel Trailblazers

Reply #25 - 10/18/16 at 12:39pm
Print Post  
Tom F wrote on 10/18/16 at 2:13am:

I was just gonna say....
My Tallboy came full tubeless and I love it.  Maxxis Ikon tires running about 19 psi and I have yet to have an issue after about 650 miles on that setup.

David

2016 Santa Cruz Tallboy C

IP Logged

Yellowduck
Big Ring

Reply #26 - 10/18/16 at 1:32pm
Print Post  
I've been tubeless for 5 years or so.  Only issue I had was with 1 cyclocross tire that would not seal.  I've used tubeless ready tires and non tubeless tires.  Never a problem.  The sealent plugs a good size hole if you happen to get one.   

One problem I see a lot with people new to tubeless is that they don't get the tire on the bead all the way.  I've had some tires to have to pop twice on each side instead of once.  Usually there is a line or a mark on the tire to tell if it is beaded all the way.  It can be part of the way on the bead and still hold air.

"Riding skinny is too easy"
-MB
IP Logged

TINman
Coaster Bike

Reply #27 - 10/18/16 at 2:50pm
Print Post  
Yellowduck wrote on 10/18/16 at 1:32pm:
I've been tubeless for 5 years or so.  Only issue I had was with 1 cyclocross tire that would not seal.  I've used tubeless ready tires and non tubeless tires.  Never a problem.  The sealent plugs a good size hole if you happen to get one.  

One problem I see a lot with people new to tubeless is that they don't get the tire on the bead all the way.  I've had some tires to have to pop twice on each side instead of once.  Usually there is a line or a mark on the tire to tell if it is beaded all the way.  It can be part of the way on the bead and still hold air.

That's what I have seen too and for that reason, I initially pump mine up to 50 psi and give them a short ride around the block with plenty of bunny hops. When I get back, I drop them down to my normal riding pressure.
« Last Edit: 10/18/16 at 2:51pm by TINman »  

No matter how slow you go you're still lapping everyone on the couch!

IP Logged

StevenA
Coaster Bike

Reply #28 - 10/19/16 at 2:44am
Print Post  
Marlingreen wrote on 10/12/16 at 3:30pm:
OK...do you really need sealant for tubeless tires?

Yes. How else are you going to get the authentic tubeless look without dried sealant all over the rim??

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links) 20161018_124030.png (Attachment deleted)

I used to be addicted to the Hokey Pokey but then I turned myself around.

IP Logged

SirNotAppearing
IB Room
In The Loop

Reply #29 - 10/19/16 at 2:05pm
Print Post  
StevenA wrote on 10/19/16 at 2:44am:

Yes. How else are you going to get the authentic tubeless look without dried sealant all over the rim??

It's supposed to go inside the rim.

IP Logged

FredRubble
Little Ring

Reply #30 - 10/19/16 at 8:37pm
Print Post  
ChosenOne wrote on 10/18/16 at 1:40am:

Its o.k. to admit you are wrong... That's when growth happens... Grin

IP Logged

IntheBush
Big Ring

Reply #31 - 10/19/16 at 10:48pm
Print Post  
StevenA wrote on 10/19/16 at 2:44am:

Smiley

Yeah it's easy..
Just pour it inside the tire before you mount it, then air it up.
« Last Edit: 10/19/16 at 10:56pm by IntheBush »  

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

IP Logged

ChosenOne
Little Ring

Reply #32 - 10/19/16 at 10:52pm
Print Post  
FredRubble wrote on 10/19/16 at 8:37pm:

Its o.k. to admit you are wrong... That's when growth happens... Grin

I'm not wrong... One or three OEMs do not qualify as a standard.  When every bicycle is sold w/o inner tubes, just as is the case with automobiles, it will be the standard.  Until then I'll consider it a fad.   

With the right tubeless-tire and tubeless-rim tubeless is an OK setup.  It is nothing that I would purposefully seek as an upgrade if I didn't have the right parts... I wouldn't change wheels just for a tubeless setup. 
Most tires have very light casings which lowers weight but causes the tire to roll under heavy cornering when the pressures are around 20PSI.  If I run a tube that roll is much less pronounced.  If I pinch flat the tire pressure was too low and being tubeless doesn't change that it only ensures rim damage from repeated low tire pressure induced blows to roots and rocks. 

In any event back to the OP... w/ the correct wheel/tire setup you shouldn't need any sealant whatsoever.  Cars don't  Cool

IP Logged

IntheBush
Big Ring

Reply #33 - 10/19/16 at 11:16pm
Print Post  
ChosenOne wrote on 10/19/16 at 10:52pm:

I'm not wrong... One or three OEMs do not qualify as a standard.  When every bicycle is sold w/o inner tubes, just as is the case with automobiles, it will be the standard.  Until then I'll consider it a fad.  

With the right tubeless-tire and tubeless-rim tubeless is an OK setup.  It is nothing that I would purposefully seek as an upgrade if I didn't have the right parts... I wouldn't change wheels just for a tubeless setup. 
Most tires have very light casings which lowers weight but causes the tire to roll under heavy cornering when the pressures are around 20PSI.  If I run a tube that roll is much less pronounced.  If I pinch flat the tire pressure was too low and being tubeless doesn't change that it only ensures rim damage from repeated low tire pressure induced blows to roots and rocks. 

In any event back to the OP... w/ the correct wheel/tire setup you shouldn't need any sealant whatsoever.  Cars don't  Cool

I agree with a lot of this. The cost benefit of the upgrade isn't enough for most riders unless you already have compatible equipment. Is it the future? Yep. Like so many other things. Something else to buy to be a real mountain biker..  Cool

My tubeless tires work great. But so did my tubed tires. Can I tell a difference? Not much.
Never had a pinch flat, because I run recommended pressures. I only run about 5 psi difference with tubeless and of course I'm saving the difference in the weight of the tubes and the sealant. You want to run 15-20 psi in your tires, then expect your rims to take hits. Not necessarily a bad thing if your sponsored and somebody else is replacing your stuff after every race. 

Sealant in bike tires is to seal punctures or to help seal your ghetto setup. Cars don't normally use sealant because weight's not an issue. They have steel belts.

IP Logged

Banjopickin
Big Ring

Spinnin' knees & Hittin'
trees since '85

Reply #34 - 10/20/16 at 12:00am
Print Post  
Been toobless for over 5 years or so and after doing "ghetto toobless", UST, and now TR setups there is not much difference of going toobless v toobed..

But if your are serious about riding and want you bike to perform its best, being able to run low pressure and avoid pinch flats is critical. Your tires connect you to the trail. They're super important. Confidence on descents, cornering ability, traction on climbs etc. (or lack there of) all make you either slow or fast... 

Running low pressure helps. No denying it.

If you're a casual rider and get out once or twice a week and mtn biking itsnt your main thing no need to worry about it. Just go ride. 

I would STRONGLY advise using sealant for toobless. There's no good reason not to. 

And toobless isn't a standard. There are no "standards" in cycling. Not anymore haha

Advocat wrote on 08/22/13 at 5:16pm:
...packin some Chub in the back of the pick-up.

IP Logged

ChosenOne
Little Ring

Reply #35 - 10/20/16 at 12:21am
Print Post  
IntheBush wrote on 10/19/16 at 11:16pm:

I agree with a lot of this. The cost benefit of the upgrade isn't enough for most riders unless you already have compatible equipment. Is it the future? Yep. Like so many other things. Something else to buy to be a real mountain biker..  Cool

My tubeless tires work great. But so did my tubed tires. Can I tell a difference? Not much.
Never had a pinch flat, because I run recommended pressures. I only run about 5 psi difference with tubeless and of course I'm saving the difference in the weight of the tubes and the sealant. You want to run 15-20 psi in your tires, then expect your rims to take hits. Not necessarily a bad thing if your sponsored and somebody else is replacing your stuff after every race. 

Sealant in bike tires is to seal punctures or to help seal your ghetto setup. Cars don't normally use sealant because weight's not an issue. They have steel belts.

Kevlar > steel belts for puncture resistance. 

Tubed or tubeless... if you want to run low pressure you need a tire & wheel combo that suits your riding style and works together.  

I run the following setups all w/ tubes:
- WTB Weirwolf 2.3 AM/TCS on Mavic Cross Max ST 26" 22-25 PSI 
- WTB Weirwolf 2.3 AM/TCS on Transition Revolution 32 26" 25-30 PSI (hard tail)
- WTB Weirwolf 2.3 AM/TCS on WTB STp 123 29" 20-30 PSI - This combo holds a bead like no other I hadve ridden.  I would have no issues running a full tubeless setup on this bike.

« Last Edit: 10/20/16 at 12:24am by ChosenOne »  

IP Logged

IntheBush
Big Ring

Reply #36 - 10/20/16 at 3:57am
Print Post  
Whatever floats your boat.

I recently converted my 27.5 hardtail to tubeless. Works fine and it does save a number of ounces w/o the tubes. But I have to admit, I do find myself squeezing the tires checking the air pressure a little more often. 

I run a fairly aggressive 2.25 tire front and rear. I'm a 180 lb. rider, mostly xc, and appreciate the decreased rolling resistance and cushion of slightly higher pressures. Although, if I was a regular at Beatty I might change my mind.   

I can say one thing for sure. I definitely don't need to ride any faster.

Here I am at Sherman;  Smiley

Seriously, on this run he finished second to last.
« Last Edit: 10/20/16 at 10:11am by IntheBush »  

IP Logged

KevinB
Little Ring

Reply #37 - 10/20/16 at 11:59am
Print Post  
IntheBush wrote on 10/20/16 at 3:57am:

Seriously, on this run he finished second to last.

Prob cause he was running tubes.

IP Logged

IntheBush
Big Ring

Reply #38 - 10/20/16 at 12:47pm
Print Post  
I doubt it.

But I can guarantee you one thing. If I'm comparing myself to that...
Running tubes or not and a few psi aint gonna make much of a difference. 
I've got a healthy survival instinct.  Cool
« Last Edit: 10/20/16 at 12:49pm by IntheBush »  

IP Logged

BudLeach
Small Cog

Reply #39 - 10/20/16 at 1:04pm
Print Post  
ChosenOne wrote on 10/19/16 at 10:52pm:

Most tires have very light casings which lowers weight but causes the tire to roll under heavy cornering when the pressures are around 20PSI.  If I run a tube that roll is much less pronounced. 

Tubed or tubeless... if you want to run low pressure you need a tire & wheel combo that suits your riding style and works together.

I wouldn't say MOST tires have very light casings. But if you are going tubeless primarily for the weight savings, and therefore decide to go with the lightest "tubeless ready" casing you can find, the bike will feel squirmy compared to a tube setup. Especially at low pressures and with narrower rims. I have made this mistake before.

Your last point is key. I run tubeless, but I have learned that I need to run a slightly heavier casing (Schwalbe SnakeSkin, Maxxis EXO) than I otherwise would. 

That is fine with me because my reasons for running tubeless (in order of importance) are as follows.

1. Prevent small punctures (thorns and such) from ruining my ride.
2. Benefits of lower pressures without risk of snake bite ruining my ride.
3. Because it is rad. (all the cool kids are doing it...)
4. Rotational weight savings.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 3 
Print