Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 2 [3]  Print
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) TUBELESS (Read 4085 times)
DSO
Coaster Bike

Work Ride Tarheel Trailblazers

Re: TUBELESS
Reply #40 - 10/20/16 at 2:17pm
Print Post  
Marlingreen wrote on 10/12/16 at 3:30pm:
OK...do you really need sealant for tubeless tires? I say this because I put air and seems to be holding. I am guessing sealant is only needed to deal with holes or punctures and you don't need them just for the sake of having tubeless. Lets here what the experts say from here. Was not planning to get sealant but if all says it is a must have then i might go get it.

I went tubeless two years ago after I had to hike my bike out of the woods in the dark.

Sealant? I say yes because whenever I re-do my tires I can see where the sealant sealed up many punctures. Nothing spoils a good ride for me like a flat tire. Since going tubeless (with sealant) I have not had any flats.

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links) (Attachment deleted)

IP Logged

rob1035
Big Ring

1 speed: SLOW!

Reply #41 - 10/21/16 at 12:34pm
Print Post  
Correct, even if your tires hold air well alone, the sealant is there for punctures.  I guess prior to Tubeless Ready Tires being readily available, the sealant helped seal up sidewalls and hold air better, in addition to puncture protection.

That being said, you should still carry a tube/pump/inflator/whatever setup for big tears that sealant can't fix.

FWIW

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links) (Attachment deleted)

Rob M.

IP Logged

Cherokee
Little Ring

Reply #42 - 10/26/16 at 6:47pm
Print Post  
ChosenOne wrote on 10/19/16 at 10:52pm:

In any event back to the OP... w/ the correct wheel/tire setup you shouldn't need any sealant whatsoever.  Cars don't  Cool

It depends on the tires. UST tires have a lining that doesn't permit air to leak through (butyl rubber, I think...may be wrong...often am) and these do not require sealant. So they inflate fine and function fine without sealant, but you don't get the puncture-plugging benefit. Specialized 2Bliss (tubeless ready) tires do not have that lining and require sealant to avoid air leaking through the rubber compound over time.

Like many, if not most, tubeless riders I prefer sealant to get the flat prevention in addition to the benefits of tubeless. So I like the Spec 2Bliss tires because with sealant I can get all the benefits of tubeless and save the weight of the butyl lining. I've been tubeless almost 7 years and would never go back. Since then I've never had a flat that didn't seal; though I had to pump one back up after some air leaked before it sealed. I recently bought a new bike and converted it to tubeless the first week. And I really don't care if it's standard or not. Standard is boring.

"The state is the great fiction by which each of us seeks to live at the expense of all of us."    --19th century French economist Frederic Bastiat

IP Logged

chickenwyre
Coaster Bike

Reply #43 - 10/27/16 at 11:34am
Print Post  
Pretty sure UST refers to the size/shape of the bead on the tire and rim. Reference Pinkbike article. Additionally, USE SEALANT! If you do any real riding in Pisgah/Beech or other places with dh and speed, Orange seal will fill up very large punctures.

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

IP Logged

DSO
Coaster Bike

Work Ride Tarheel Trailblazers

Reply #44 - 10/27/16 at 2:33pm
Print Post  
Cherokee wrote on 10/26/16 at 6:47pm:

It depends on the tires. UST tires have a lining that doesn't permit air to leak through (butyl rubber, I think...may be wrong...often am) and these do not require sealant. So they inflate fine and function fine without sealant, but you don't get the puncture-plugging benefit. Specialized 2Bliss (tubeless ready) tires do not have that lining and require sealant to avoid air leaking through the rubber compound over time.

Like many, if not most, tubeless riders I prefer sealant to get the flat prevention in addition to the benefits of tubeless. So I like the Spec 2Bliss tires because with sealant I can get all the benefits of tubeless and save the weight of the butyl lining. I've been tubeless almost 7 years and would never go back. Since then I've never had a flat that didn't seal; though I had to pump one back up after some air leaked before it sealed. I recently bought a new bike and converted it to tubeless the first week. And I really don't care if it's standard or not. Standard is boring.

The sealant is not just for the tire but also for the spokes/nipples, valve areas that can leak air.

I was riding with a group when one guy had a big flat with sealant spraying out of the tire. The hole sealed up quickly and he topped the tire off with CO2. Told downtime was maybe 2 minutes. I was sold at that moment.

IP Logged

Cherokee
Little Ring

Reply #45 - 10/27/16 at 4:48pm
Print Post  
DSO wrote on 10/27/16 at 2:33pm:

The sealant is not just for the tire but also for the spokes/nipples, valve areas that can leak air.

That's the job of the rim tape, though the valves have still occasionally been known to leak a bit though they shouldn't, and sealant helps with that. Maxxis tires, for one, won't even warrant a UST tire if you use sealant (they only warrant their tubeless-ready version).

« Last Edit: 10/27/16 at 4:53pm by Cherokee »  

"The state is the great fiction by which each of us seeks to live at the expense of all of us."    --19th century French economist Frederic Bastiat

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 2 [3] 
Print