Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Print
Normal Topic Preferred helmet mount light? (Read 1354 times)
flynbryan19
Small Cog

Work Ride Tarheel Trailblazers

Preferred helmet mount light?
11/10/16 at 12:55pm
Print Post  
Hey guys, I have a nice bar mount light but am looking into a helmet mounted model.  All the models I'm seeing on mail order sites are CRAZY expensive (Not spending $300-$500) for something I'll only use a few times a year.  Anyone have a setup they're happy with that didn't break the bank?  Would like to spend less than $100, but don't see many (any) options in this range.

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links) (Attachment deleted)

Bryan Sutherland

IP Logged

gonzo
In The Loop

Re: Preferred helmet mount light?
Reply #1 - 11/10/16 at 1:43pm
Print Post  
I run either NiteRider or the SL2K lights for helmet mount.  Both are light, wireless, and when paired with a bar mount will provide plenty of light.  The decision on which one of those to use for me comes down to how long I'll be riding.  I prefer the NiteRider, but it's good for 2-3 hours.  The SL2K batteries are small enough to carry extra, so if it's gonna be a long night, I go that route and carry a few extra batteries and swap out as needed.  I have both a 650 and 750 NiteRider and personally can't tell the difference and also have an older 1000 SL2K and the newer 1200 SL2K and the difference between those two is barely noticeable to me.  I also have the CREE light, and while it's cheap as dirt and as bright as the rising sun, the weight of the battery back and being corded make it my last choice to run.  I don't follow the brighter is better idea.  Once your eyes adjust, it doesn't take a runway spotlight to be able to see, ride, and have a blast on the trails at night.

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links) (Attachment deleted)

I have reason to believe that the squirrels are mocking me.
YIMAIM  
IP Logged

flynbryan19
Small Cog

Reply #2 - 11/10/16 at 4:37pm
Print Post  
I found a few cheap china built ones online, but they require a battery pack/cable and do not wanna go that route.  Looks like to go w/ the niterider and a helmet mount I'm looking at around $80.  I can live with that I think. Smiley

Bryan Sutherland

IP Logged

alan t

Reply #3 - 11/11/16 at 11:57am
Print Post  
Light and motion has a nice 800 Lyman light.  It's called the urban . Comes with helmet and bar mount. Right around 100 bucks . In high it last about 1 hour . On medium  it will go for around 3 hours 

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links) Screenshot_20161111-065217.png (Attachment deleted)

IP Logged

BudLeach
Small Cog

Reply #4 - 11/11/16 at 2:07pm
Print Post  
I run a NiteRider Lumina 750 on my helmet, with an Axiom Lazer 600 on my bars. 

I prefer the NiteRider on the helmet because it is just a little lighter than the Axiom. Although I am very impressed with the Axiom as well. Going on it's 3rd year and still runs strong. The Axiom seems to throw a whiter light (which i prefer), compared to the NiteRider which is a little more blue. 

Can't tell much difference in max light output between the two. I do wish battery life was a little better (on both). I end up having to ride with both of them on a medium setting so they will last long enough for an average ride. On the plus side (I just remembered this), the  Axiom does have a replaceable battery that can be swapped out on the trail. Spare batteries only run ~$20.... I'm actually going to buy a couple right now. 

Update: I just bought 2 new Axiom Lazer 600 lights (each comes with helmet and bar mount), and two spare batteries for $155 from performance bike.... The wife did express some interest in night riding...
« Last Edit: 11/11/16 at 2:27pm by BudLeach »  

IP Logged

Brad6160
Coaster Bike

Reply #5 - 11/11/16 at 3:23pm
Print Post  
Bud
Let me know how you like that one.  Been eyeing the Niterider 750 myself.
« Last Edit: 11/11/16 at 3:23pm by Brad6160 »  

12' Trek X-Cal

IP Logged

BudLeach
Small Cog

Reply #6 - 11/11/16 at 4:48pm
Print Post  
Niterider 750 is a great light. It is a little lighter (and sleeker looking) than the Axiom 600 (making it good for mounting to a helmet), but that is because it has a lower capacity battery, 2900 mAh vs the 3300 mAh in the Axiom). So it will not last as long at full power. 

Even still, with both lights (meaning one on bars, one on helmet) in the middle setting, you have plenty of light, and they will last for a good 2 hours before the light output is noticeably diminished, and could probably survive a 3 hour ride (albiet with less than ideal output towards the end).

According to the Niterider website, all the Lumina series lights (excluding Lumina Micro 220 & 250) use the same battery, so going for a higher max output will be at the cost of battery life.

I have used both of the mentioned lights for at least a full season and would not hesitate to recommend either. Both are great self-contained night riding lights for riding local singletrack.
« Last Edit: 11/11/16 at 4:53pm by BudLeach »  

IP Logged

OoHoO
Little Ring

Gnar...Gnar...Gnar..

Reply #7 - 11/15/16 at 1:15pm
Print Post  
I also have ridden with a Niterider 750 for some time and always liked it.  Pretty bright, good beam pattern, and relatively cheap.  I think that REI has all Niterider product 25% off right now but the sale ends soon.

2016 Santa Cruz Hightower CC 29 - Ridin' It
2014 Specialized Stumpjumper FSR 29 - Gone
2012 Cannondale Trail 6 - Gone

IP Logged

btalley
Big Ring

aka "Lil Bill" or "Squatch"

Reply #8 - 11/15/16 at 2:37pm
Print Post  
If you are having a problem finding a suitable helmet mount, just take some tips from BBM!  Sorry Mike, I have been holding onto this one for a while!

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

Everyone needs at least one boat! 

Talley's Pier 77 Marine
(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)
IP Logged

jonesn
Big Ring

Reply #9 - 11/15/16 at 2:54pm
Print Post  
Buy 1 of these and never look back! You will never need another light ever! Comes with a helmet, rifle, pistol and or handle bar mount. >> (You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)
« Last Edit: 11/15/16 at 3:02pm by jonesn »  

Former Owner - Metro Cycle Messenger  Service in Downtown Charlotte N.C. (1997 - 2005) R.I.P.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Print