Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 13 Print
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) Fisher Farm "green loop" concerns (Read 32898 times)
Pulling60
Coaster Bike

Work Ride Tarheel Trailblazers

Re: Fisher Farm "green loop" concerns
Reply #40 - 03/01/17 at 6:26pm
Print Post  
The only problem with trails being marked "Green" or "Easy"  is that they usually get me all winded (especially after a winter of inactivity).  I would feel so much better about myself if I got beat by an easy trail that was marked "Difficult."   

Regardless, the trail is what it is...  pick your favorites, ride and have a blast!!  

73   Grin Grin Grin

IP Logged

sCvHeaVens
Small Cog

Reply #41 - 03/01/17 at 6:38pm
Print Post  
The real questions is should the leaves be blown on the fisher green loop?

IP Logged

The Cycle Path
IB Room
In The Loop
Project Board

Treasurer '11 to '18.
Trail Chair '12-'18,
'20-'21

Reply #42 - 03/01/17 at 6:45pm
Print Post  
Please go out and ride your bikes and enjoy your time in the woods. Those of us who have invested decades, yes decades!, into our trail system while working full time jobs and spending time with our families are too tired to take mtb'ing so seriously.  We really just want to ride in the woods.

Teach your kids that failure is OK, is a great learning experience and doesn't make them less of a person.  If you're spouse doesn't like it then you may count yourself lucky!  Shocked  

And here's some dancing bananas for you.   Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley

As Rocky would say.....RAMFB!!!  Just sayin,,,,
« Last Edit: 03/01/17 at 6:49pm by The Cycle Path »  

We carry the finest from Specialized, Yeti, Transition, and Kona.
IP Logged

The Cycle Path
IB Room
In The Loop
Project Board

Treasurer '11 to '18.
Trail Chair '12-'18,
'20-'21

Reply #43 - 03/01/17 at 6:50pm
Print Post  
sCvHeaVens wrote on 03/01/17 at 6:38pm:

Whatever the trail coordinator decides. Wink

IP Logged

SirNotAppearing
IB Room
In The Loop

Reply #44 - 03/01/17 at 7:05pm
Print Post  
Meanwhile I'll be out hitting Beatty's black diamond with my two year old. THE SYSTEM WORKS!
(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

IP Logged

btalley
Big Ring

aka "Lil Bill" or "Squatch"

Reply #45 - 03/01/17 at 8:39pm
Print Post  
sCvHeaVens wrote on 03/01/17 at 6:38pm:

No Blow, #Leaflivesmatter

Everyone needs at least one boat! 

Talley's Pier 77 Marine
IP Logged

btalley
Big Ring

Reply #46 - 03/01/17 at 8:43pm
Print Post  
The Cycle Path wrote on 03/01/17 at 6:45pm:

Teach your kids that failure is OK, is a great learning experience and doesn't make them less of a person.  If you're spouse doesn't like it then you may count yourself lucky!  Shocked  

Mark just gave parenting advise  Smiley 

You should charge $$$ for such advise

Talley's Pier 77 Marine
IP Logged

The Cycle Path
IB Room
In The Loop
Project Board

Treasurer '11 to '18.
Trail Chair '12-'18,
'20-'21

Reply #47 - 03/02/17 at 12:33am
Print Post  
btalley wrote on 03/01/17 at 8:43pm:

Mark just gave parenting advise  Smiley 

You should charge $$$ for such advise

Well I was raised that way by my parents. Smiley

IP Logged

johnski
Small Cog

Reply #48 - 03/02/17 at 1:10am
Print Post  
I'm with the OP on this one. The green loop at Fisher is completely out of hand and should be labeled double black diamond immediately in order to save others from the horror. However, there's been a new addition at Fisher which I think will be perfect for them. If we're going to give it a level of difficulty, I'd call it "chartreuse."  Careful, though, you may need to bypass some pebbles on foot.  Highly recommend pre-riding it before taking the family through the gauntlet.
« Last Edit: 03/02/17 at 1:12am by johnski »  

IP Logged

Trey L. Rider

Reply #49 - 03/02/17 at 1:12am
Print Post  
Mountain biking should be challenging. It is not greenway biking. Sure, there are difficult sections for all skill levels on different trails, and many of us don't make it over all obstacles.
Stop whining and get biking!

IP Logged

ChosenOne
Little Ring

Reply #50 - 03/02/17 at 1:42am
Print Post  
I for one have never found a trail labeled as green even remotely challenging from a tech standpoint. 
Humble Brag Cool

IP Logged

IntheBush
Big Ring

Reply #51 - 03/02/17 at 3:54am
Print Post  
Well, it's possible to break your neck on a green trail too.

Regardless of the rating, I think it's sheer lunacy to take your inexperienced kids onto a trail you've never ridden yourself.

Could the area use more trails that are beginner friendly? And that don't only cater to those who like it rough and demand a challenge from their perspective only? If the goal is attracting more gumbies and recreational riders into the sport, it can't hurt. I don't suspect many experienced riders want to volunteer their time to construct those kinds of trails. Most of this area is hilly, rooty and rocky. I don't think that's going to change.

There are already plenty of bulldozed trails in the area. These are called Greenways.
« Last Edit: 03/02/17 at 4:18am by IntheBush »  

IP Logged

The Cycle Path
IB Room
In The Loop
Project Board

Treasurer '11 to '18.
Trail Chair '12-'18,
'20-'21

Reply #52 - 03/02/17 at 11:22am
Print Post  
3milesup wrote on 03/01/17 at 6:09pm:
I'll bite on this one. I have been a lurker on these forums for a couple years now since I moved here. I tend to agree with the OP on the green trail at fisher farm (and a few other green trails in the area). To those saying that a green trail is relative to the area, it isn't. IMBA has standards for sustainable trail building that should be followed especially when the club building the trails has an IMBA badge on their website. These guidelines lay out exactly what should be expected in a green, blue, or black trail (down to how wide the trail can be). They also lay out how to build trails so they do not fall into disrepair. Now I have not been to fisher farm with a measuring stick, but there are a few sections on the green trail that definitely step into the blue range for sure and i would say it is frequent enough (especially the last half mile or so) to warrant a blue rating.

Honestly if you go ride these trails before you take your family to them you will save yourself a lot of frustration, but I really do not think people on this forum should disregard the OP's point. I know that many people here have been riding longer than I have been alive and will brag about how anything that isn't in pisgah is a green trail, but this is really no way to grow the sport. The truth is that in the charlotte area there is really only LNSP for true green trails (to IMBA standards) that area actually fun to ride (lake loop at wwc is super flat and boring). Also to another point, not all trails need to be challenging to be a blast (Monbo is probably my favorite trail in the area). Charlotte needs these good beginner trails to get younger riders interested in riding. 

I realize that this forum is extremely biased to one direction since everyone on here is a pretty experienced rider, but try to look at it from someone else's perspective. It really isn't in anyone's best interest to sandbag the difficulty ratings. 

Just my $0.02.

I recommend you read this link in it's entirety.  (You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

« Last Edit: 03/02/17 at 11:23am by The Cycle Path »  

IP Logged

worker-rider
In The Loop

Reply #53 - 03/02/17 at 12:24pm
Print Post  
Here is an idea! How about the people that would like a green trail step up and build themselves one. I'm sure we have land somewhere in the area that would suit what you are looking for and our club would be more than happy to give you all the tools and help that you will need to put in the type of experience that you are looking for. Now let's see if anyone steps up to the plate or just the sounds of crickets. I'm off to change all my signs to black diamonds so WE have NO confusion. Thanks Mark for the little black diamonds.

IP Logged

AMitchell47
Coaster Bike

Reply #54 - 03/02/17 at 1:18pm
Print Post  
Think about how much better this could have gone if OP simply said:

"I took my family for a ride on the green loop at Fisher Farm, and it was just too challenging for them - they were really frustrated.  Any recommendations for an easier trail to break them in on?"

Back before I knew better, I used to take my 7 yo son, on his 40lb Wal-Mart full suspension bike (wow was that an error) to ride at Andrews on Poplar Tent.  We would ride everything except Devils Drop.  He would push his bike up hills, and we would walk down things that were scary.  It was hard.  Challenging.  We didn't know anything about trail ratings.  We got better, it became more fun.  We still skipped some tough spots.

Now he's 18, and teaches me how to get through technical stuff.  We race together.  If there's a tough obstacle we fail on, we turn around, go back and try it again.  We try it five times in a row until we clean it easier and easier each time.  There are still spots where I unclip or walk, and I'm ok with that - it just means they're tough.

To the OP - try the "gravel road and nothing but right turns approach" at Sherman.  Then the full loop.  Then all of it.  You ride it before hand.  Then lead the family and warn them about what is coming, or guide and teach them how to attack an obstacle.  Hey guys, a rock garden ahead, want to try it this time?  Mountain biking is challenging.  The fastest guys on here are still learning how to get faster.  Look at it as a challenge to overcome, not a challenge to avoid.

Charlotte is an amazing place, with over a dozen trails in the area - we're very lucky.  Learn to master them, and you'll have so much fun.

IP Logged

Rockys Smarter Brother

Reply #55 - 03/02/17 at 1:59pm
Print Post  
"Well you guys handled that better than the OP deserved if you ask me.  He basically came on here and acted like a butt hurt douche bag and insulted people and a trail that many (families) have no problem riding and enjoying.  I guess nobody got the memo the way prod was supposed to revolve around him?  I you can't ride something walk around it. If your family outing was ruined because of your attitude and frustration towards something that is your issue.  Bye. Fisher Farm is better off without you! 👎"

Great attitude!  I ride Lake Norman because its close to home, but attitudes like this is the reason why I've stopped riding Trail Blazer Trails and spend most of my time on dirt/country roads.  Do I think Fisher Green is too hard, no not in anyway.  But a guy complaining about being insulted using this language to insult the OP is what I like to call hypocritical. 
« Last Edit: 03/02/17 at 2:00pm by Rockys Smarter Brother »  

IP Logged

SirNotAppearing
IB Room
In The Loop

Reply #56 - 03/02/17 at 2:45pm
Print Post  
Rockys Smarter Brother wrote on 03/02/17 at 1:59pm:

Great attitude!  I ride Lake Norman because its close to home, but attitudes like this is the reason why I've stopped riding Trail Blazer Trails and spend most of my time on dirt/country roads.  

That's good thinking. Comments from anonymous posters on a forum definitely impact your experience on the trail.

IP Logged

Harry Balsagna
Small Cog

Keep on rocking in the
free world.

Reply #57 - 03/02/17 at 4:20pm
Print Post  
Well this one has been fun to read.  to offer my two cents, i re-learned how to ride about three years ago on a 10 year old gary fisher hard tail (sweet bike, i know) taking it out to the Research Park Trail (aka The Gauntlet).  first time i rode it i walked my bike at least 12 different times, thought i was going to die an equal number of times and finally finished over an hour later (yeah, three mile trail).  that made me mad alright, but not mad at the trail, mad at myself for being weak.  6 months later after finally conquering that trail and cutting my time to about 24 min/lap, i said thanks to the builder of the trail for making something that made me better.   

Keep on rocking in the free world.

I'm in no condition to ride...wait! I shouldn't listen to myself, I'm drunk!

IP Logged

btalley
Big Ring

Reply #58 - 03/02/17 at 4:41pm
Print Post  
This might be the wrong place but does anyone have any suggestions how to convert my 26er into a two-niner?  I am trying to keep up with KevinB and now realize it's all about the wheel size.

Talley's Pier 77 Marine
IP Logged

Screaming Knees
Big Ring

Reply #59 - 03/02/17 at 4:45pm
Print Post  
Rockys Smarter Brother wrote on 03/02/17 at 1:59pm:
" I ride Lake Norman because its close to home, but attitudes like this is the reason why I've stopped riding Trail Blazer Trails and spend most of my time on dirt/country roads.  

A mountain biker that doesn't ride a road bike has no legs, A road biker that doesn't ride the mountain bike has no soul.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 13
Print