Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Print
Normal Topic Tire Inserts (Read 1028 times)
Dave H

Work Ride Tarheel Trailblazers

Tire Inserts
06/02/17 at 2:11pm
Print Post  
Hey Everyone,

I've been thinking of trying out a cushcore insert once I have to replace my rear tire and I was wondering if any of you have tried them or any of the other types like Huck Norris, Procore, etc?

I've found some good reviews and discussions online, but I'm still on the fence.

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links) (Attachment deleted)

IP Logged

FredRubble
Little Ring

Re: Tire Inserts
Reply #1 - 06/02/17 at 11:03pm
Print Post  
Do you get a lot of flats?

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links) (Attachment deleted)

IP Logged

Dave H

Reply #2 - 06/05/17 at 1:44pm
Print Post  
Nope (knock on wood), just thinking of trying something new.

IP Logged

ChosenOne
Little Ring

Reply #3 - 06/05/17 at 6:58pm
Print Post  
what's a tire insert... isn't that an inner-tube?

IP Logged

OoHoO
Little Ring

Gnar...Gnar...Gnar..

Reply #4 - 06/06/17 at 1:45am
Print Post  
Just my opinion but unless you're flatting all the time or riding hard enough to taco/dent wheels there's not really a need to carry all the extra weight of a tire insert.

2016 Santa Cruz Hightower CC 29 - Ridin' It
2014 Specialized Stumpjumper FSR 29 - Gone
2012 Cannondale Trail 6 - Gone

IP Logged

James Banta
Small Cog

Reply #5 - 06/06/17 at 5:40pm
Print Post  
Agreed, totally worthless unless you are having issues ripping tires off the rim.  haha  Doubtful you'd be doing that on any Charlotte trails.

IP Logged

chickenwyre
Coaster Bike

Reply #6 - 06/06/17 at 7:00pm
Print Post  
Rather than saying don't do it, here is what I know. Procore definitely works like they say but it can be difficult to setup and adds noticeable weight. Last I looked though, it on sale on Jenson for like $80. I was running MoneyCore (ghetto procore) and it saved my rims/tires a bunch of times in Pisgah and at DH parks. It will allow you run 3-5 psi lower than normal safely and you can to take the worst possible line.

Flat Tire Defender looks like probably the best simple solution. I haven't tried it yet, but a bunch of WC racers have ran them the past few seasons with great results.

Both are good to help hold the bead (prevents burping) and to protect you rims. But neither will stop punctures or gashes. Also, they are really only an advantage if you like to ride chunky, gnarly, fast trails or at DH parks otherwise they are just adding weight

IP Logged

sCvHeaVens
Small Cog

Reply #7 - 06/06/17 at 7:17pm
Print Post  
Worst possible line?  Sounds like I may need them... I have skinny rims right now so I end up running 30+ tubeless which helps with it...

IP Logged

ChosenOne
Little Ring

Reply #8 - 06/06/17 at 8:41pm
Print Post  
I don't get it $80 $199  Huh for inner tubes? 

Some of you guys are just silly.
« Last Edit: 06/06/17 at 10:38pm by ChosenOne »  

IP Logged

Dave H

Reply #9 - 06/07/17 at 2:58pm
Print Post  
chickenwyre wrote on 06/06/17 at 7:00pm:
Rather than saying don't do it, here is what I know. Procore definitely works like they say but it can be difficult to setup and adds noticeable weight. Last I looked though, it on sale on Jenson for like $80. I was running MoneyCore (ghetto procore) and it saved my rims/tires a bunch of times in Pisgah and at DH parks. It will allow you run 3-5 psi lower than normal safely and you can to take the worst possible line.

Flat Tire Defender looks like probably the best simple solution. I haven't tried it yet, but a bunch of WC racers have ran them the past few seasons with great results.

Both are good to help hold the bead (prevents burping) and to protect you rims. But neither will stop punctures or gashes. Also, they are really only an advantage if you like to ride chunky, gnarly, fast trails or at DH parks otherwise they are just adding weight

This is the kind of feedback I was looking for. Really tempted to try out the Cushcore inserts, they claim to do a whole lot more and from what I've read they seem to be living up to it. Only downside is the price/longevity of the product.  Thanks for the input.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Print