Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 3  Print
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) Riding with the Ranger at Lake Norman State Park (Read 8711 times)
TrillWill
IB Room
In The Loop
Project Board

THTB Board member 16'-23'
LKN TC

Riding with the Ranger at Lake Norman State Park
07/11/17 at 6:55pm
Print Post  
Ranger Will from LKN State Park is leading a ride from the visitors center at 6pm tomorrow, Wednesday July 12th.  Weather looks good!  More information here on the park's website (You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links) (Attachment deleted)

Ride boards, ride bikes, ride life #shredeverything

IP Logged

sCvHeaVens
Small Cog

Work Ride Tarheel Trailblazers

Re: Riding with the Ranger at Lake Norman State Park
Reply #1 - 07/12/17 at 2:18am
Print Post  
Monbo or Mombo?

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links) (Attachment deleted)

IP Logged

BigBikeMike
Project Board

Reply #2 - 07/12/17 at 2:35am
Print Post  
It's Monbo! Must be some new rangers at the park?

IP Logged

TrillWill
IB Room
In The Loop
Project Board

LKN TC

Reply #3 - 07/12/17 at 12:06pm
Print Post  
BigBikeMike wrote on 07/12/17 at 2:35am:
It's Monbo! Must be some new rangers at the park?

There are, Ranger Will rides!  As far as I know he's the only one that rides, which is pretty awesome.  He likes to keep a relatively low profile, but you may have seen him at some of the other local trails and not even known it!

IP Logged

BigBikeMike
Project Board

Reply #4 - 07/12/17 at 12:10pm
Print Post  
Thanks Will! See you next week for the Nationals!!

IP Logged

JT3
Coaster Bike

Reply #5 - 07/13/17 at 11:12am
Print Post  
I met will last night for a chat and ride on Monbo.   It's nice to have a riding ranger here in the park.  Good dude.   Hopefully I didn't hold him up to much on the trail!

Will plans to host a ride twice a month.  If you can join, you should.   

He also explained that the timing is good for us to request some more trails be built.  The park is open to it right now.   How can we get this moving? I know it can't be easy, but that would be super sweet!

peddle faster, I heard banjo music!

IP Logged

TrillWill
IB Room
In The Loop
Project Board

LKN TC

Reply #6 - 07/13/17 at 2:02pm
Print Post  
Thats great that you made it out to the ride last night!  I'm banged up from some recent crashes and just plain busy so I wasn't able to make it.

Just shooting straight here, as the current "trail coordinator"  I'm feeling super overwhelmed just trying to get the existing trails into good shape.  I'm sure you saw all of the really deep holes on Monbo on the ride yesterday and apparently Laurel is just as bad.  I can't speak from experience because the last three times I've been at the park I've been doing trail work (as opposed to riding) so I haven't covered much of the trails.

With two or so more workdays we can most likely get Wildlife/Fallstown/Fox fixed up to shed water again, and then we can move on to the remaining 22 miles of trail  Shocked

Really, we need tripple the amount of people from the community to get involved in maintaining the trails out there before we can even think about adding any more trail.  We've been lucky to have Jason Duckworth getting very involved with trial work which has been a huge help.  Jason's now a "co-coordinator" at the park which means he has the ability to lead group workdays.  We really need at least two more people to step up and take on leadership roles with trail work at the park so we can have more community members that are capable of leading group workdays.  Getting groups out there on the trails is really the only way to make progress and I just simply can't be at every group workday, I'm too busy.  If I had to be at every group workday then we would never get these trails to where they need to be.

Sorry for the long post but all of the above must be done before any new trail discussions can be had.  We need a larger more committed trail building/maintaining community at LKN State Park, who wants to step up????  Mooresville People?? Troutman People??? Statesville People?? Davidson People???  PM me or email at wwash3rd@gmail.com if you are interested.

Also, thanks to the other Jason (Saltnpepper11) and all others who have been out to workdays recently!
« Last Edit: 07/13/17 at 4:26pm by TrillWill »  

IP Logged

Harry Balsagna
Small Cog

Keep on rocking in the
free world.

Reply #7 - 07/13/17 at 8:22pm
Print Post  
I feel ya on this one Will, got the opportunity to hit up LNSP last weekend and indeed Laurel was suffering.  Navigating 77 right now is just plain horrible, leaving outta CLT at 730 was fine but the return trip just before noon was a nightmare...  I would like to help out with the mud hole problem (because i love Laurel) but would have to be like 7:30-9:30/10 am on a Saturday morning.

I'm in no condition to ride...wait! I shouldn't listen to myself, I'm drunk!

IP Logged

BigBikeMike
Project Board

Reply #8 - 07/14/17 at 2:29am
Print Post  
I know how you feel, Will. Everyone wants to build new trails, but someone has to maintain the trails you have now. I didn't get to ride as much as I wanted to, because of trail maintenance.  Good luck getting lots of volunteers!

See you next week at the Nationals at Snowshoe!

BBM

IP Logged

BigBikeMike
Project Board

Reply #9 - 07/14/17 at 12:45pm
Print Post  
Will, I forgot to tell you about Camping World. When I was TC at LNSP, a guy at Camping World ask about some of their employees needing some community service time that is required by their company. I took a day off from work and lead a group of 8 people on a trail workday at the park. You might want to reach out to them and see if they are still doing that sort of thing.

Hate to hear you're banged up and I know you're busy at work!!

See you soon!!

BBM

IP Logged

drdirt55
Small Cog

Stupid should be painful

Reply #10 - 07/14/17 at 3:23pm
Print Post  
I would love to help out as well Will. Is ent you an email and we can find a time to meet to talk about coordination and what needs the most attention.  Another area to find help, albeit uneducated on trail maintenance is the schools.  Most of the area schools require community service hours so SIHS and LKNH hopefully have some students that need some hours

Ride On

IP Logged

nottheranger
Coaster Bike

Reply #11 - 07/24/17 at 4:53pm
Print Post  
The Ranger is leading another ride this Wednesday at 6 PM. He hopes to ride Laurel. Meet under the 'Murican Flag. He will see what the weather does! More info and misspellings on the park website.
« Last Edit: 07/24/17 at 4:55pm by nottheranger »  

IP Logged

nottheranger
Coaster Bike

Reply #12 - 07/27/17 at 3:34pm
Print Post  
Great Ride last night. Everyone is loving the new berm section at the end of Laurel. Next ride is planned for Aug. 9 @ 6 PM.

IP Logged

nottheranger
Coaster Bike

Reply #13 - 08/08/17 at 7:33pm
Print Post  
Looks like we are going to get a short reprieve from rain tomorrow. Not sure if that will be enough to dry out the trails. If the trails are open the ride would happen @ 6. Meet under the 'Murican Flag.

IP Logged

nottheranger
Coaster Bike

Reply #14 - 08/09/17 at 7:57pm
Print Post  
It's perfect weather up here, but The Ranger has walked the trails throughout the day in hopes they have recovered (brought his bike with him). The trails are still really tacky-- and the low spots are really feeling it. Since he follows the rules-- he has chosen to leave the trails closed. 

Plan to try to ride again Aug 30 at 6 PM.

IP Logged

msumi

Reply #15 - 08/23/17 at 5:29pm
Print Post  
Anymore coming up?

IP Logged

nottheranger
Coaster Bike

Reply #16 - 08/28/17 at 7:44pm
Print Post  
The (power) Ranger plans to ride again this Wednesday August 30th at 6 PM. He wants to ride the Wildlife Area. He'll be sitting under the 'Murican Flag.

IP Logged

TrillWill
IB Room
In The Loop
Project Board

LKN TC

Reply #17 - 08/31/17 at 2:01pm
Print Post  
Nice ride with the ranger yesterday evening!  It's pretty sweet having a ranger that rides, come out and push some pedals next time ya'll.

IP Logged

nottheranger
Coaster Bike

Reply #18 - 09/04/17 at 5:27pm
Print Post  
Danger Ranger plans to ride again this Wednesday Sept 6th at 6 PM. He'll wait under the flag and ride anywhere you want to ride. The weatherman is calling for rain-- so watch the Radar. Enjoy this nice weather!

IP Logged

nottheranger
Coaster Bike

Reply #19 - 09/06/17 at 2:17pm
Print Post  
The Ranger reports the rain is coming down hard at the park! Yet again another ride lost to Mother Nature. He'll try again Wednesday Sept 20 at 6 PM.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 3 
Print