Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Print
Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) Trail recommendations for Asheville (Read 1218 times)
sketchleft

Trail recommendations for Asheville
07/13/17 at 1:41pm
Print Post  
Tagging along with the wife for a conference in Asheville towards the end of August and was looking for recommendations on places to ride.

I'd rate myself as an intermediate rider (8-12 mph @ 12-16 miles) - based on WWC trails.

Have 2 days to get some riding in.

Thanks!

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links) (Attachment deleted)

IP Logged

OoHoO
Little Ring

Gnar...Gnar...Gnar..

Re: Trail recommendations for Asheville
Reply #1 - 07/13/17 at 1:44pm
Print Post  
The Bent Creek area slightly southwest of Asheville would be the closest significant trails system with a lot of mileage and different routs.  All trails there are ok for an intermediate rider. Make sure and have a map or a GPS app of some sort, the trail system can get confusing in some areas.

Kitsuma is in Black Mountain which is East about 20 min of center Asheville and is a little bit more gnarly than bent creek, tough climb up the front, very fast down the back side. Pretty easy to stay on course if you're alone because its is usually rode as a loop.

Further Southwest of Asheville gets you into the tougher Pisgah areas around Brevard which you may not want to do alone if you haven't been up there before.

You can use trailforks app or MTB Project app and look around the area to get some good routes, check mileage, and not get lost.  Cool
« Last Edit: 07/13/17 at 1:49pm by OoHoO »  
(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links) (Attachment deleted)

2016 Santa Cruz Hightower CC 29 - Ridin' It
2014 Specialized Stumpjumper FSR 29 - Gone
2012 Cannondale Trail 6 - Gone

IP Logged

FMWilly
Coaster Bike

Work Ride Tarheel Trailblazers

Reply #2 - 07/13/17 at 3:20pm
Print Post  
A fun place to ride is Dupont State Forest near Brevard. Most of the trails are intermediate. Stop by the Hub bicycle shop first for directions and stop in for a beer on your way back to Asheville.

IP Logged

Doc00t
IB Room
In The Loop
Project Board

When in DOUBT, PEDAL it
OUT

Reply #3 - 07/13/17 at 3:22pm
Print Post  
Yup, Bent Creek or shoot for Dupont down in Brevard.   

If you wanted to mess with Pisgah at all I would keep it simple by doing something like Thrift cove to lower Black Mountain.   

If you head down to Brevard the folks @ either The Hub or Sycamore Cycles can help you with a beginner friendly route.

Scars are like Tattoos only with better Stories

IP Logged

Banjopickin
Big Ring

Spinnin' knees & Hittin'
trees since '85

Reply #4 - 07/13/17 at 3:56pm
Print Post  
Bent Creek is your best bet... 15 min or so from downtown Asheville. Its like the WWC of AVL... tons of folks riding all the time. The trails are much rowdier than Charlotte stuff and the descents and climbs are steeper but its a great place to ride. 30+ miles of trail...

Dupont is about an hour away from downtown and is a little more mellow than Bent Creek.

I would advise getting the Avenza PDF mapping app and download the map for where you plan on going. 

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

Pisgah Map Co. are local to Brevard and make great maps for Bent Creek, Pisgah, and Dupont. Their maps are available on the Avenza app for like $6.

The app locates you in real time on the mao so its pretty much impossible to get lost.

Im in AVL and if you want to catch a ride at BC or Pisgah one day let me know...

« Last Edit: 07/13/17 at 3:57pm by Banjopickin »  

Advocat wrote on 08/22/13 at 5:16pm:
...packin some Chub in the back of the pick-up.

IP Logged

sketchleft

Reply #5 - 07/13/17 at 4:19pm
Print Post  
Thank you everyone! I downloaded the couple of apps/maps and will def check out those trails! 

IP Logged

Harry Balsagna
Small Cog

Keep on rocking in the
free world.

Reply #6 - 07/13/17 at 6:03pm
Print Post  
Bent Creek.  has some true 'beginner' options (which still have some solid climbs) and some really nice intermediate level trails.  Not sure if this link will be accessible but this is a map of a really cool ride i did out there a couple weeks back.

I'm in no condition to ride...wait! I shouldn't listen to myself, I'm drunk!

IP Logged

Impaler 58
Big Ring

Reply #7 - 07/13/17 at 11:28pm
Print Post  
I like Pisgah. There's a couple trails where you climb forever, then bomb downhill. Beer is close also. Pisgah Tavern and OskarBlues🍺🚵

GTalk  
IP Logged

dtate

Reply #8 - 07/14/17 at 12:01am
Print Post  
If you have two days and want to checkout something new, think about driving over to Cherokee and giving Fire Mountain Trail System a try.   The system just opened in June and has generated alot of buzz for it's flow and downhill only trail.  10.5 miles of trail, but you can easily get 12-15 miles in by looping and utilizing the interconnecting trails.

IP Logged

Big Chuck
Coaster Bike

Reply #9 - 07/14/17 at 12:07am
Print Post  
I've ridden Bent Creek  a couple times and ridden  Dupont many times. I like them both perfect Dupont. 
BTW: DO NOT GO TO DUPONT WITHOUT A MAP!!!
you can pick  one up at The Hub

"By His Grace I Ride,Ride On"
Big Chuck
IP Logged

tibs

Reply #10 - 07/14/17 at 5:04am
Print Post  
dtate wrote on 07/14/17 at 12:01am:
If you have two days and want to checkout something new, think about driving over to Cherokee and giving Fire Mountain Trail System a try.   The system just opened in June and has generated alot of buzz for it's flow and downhill only trail.  10.5 miles of trail, but you can easily get 12-15 miles in by looping and utilizing the interconnecting trails.

« Last Edit: 07/14/17 at 5:05am by tibs »  

IP Logged

PirateBike
Coaster Bike

Reply #11 - 07/15/17 at 8:01pm
Print Post  
dtate wrote on 07/14/17 at 12:01am:

It's not "Downhill only" if you have to climb, just saying'  Cheesy

I thought of that while riding my bicycle.
~ Albert Einstein on the Theory of Relativity

IP Logged

JokerSC
Little Ring

Reply #12 - 07/15/17 at 8:23pm
Print Post  
PirateBike wrote on 07/15/17 at 8:01pm:

It's not "Downhill only" if you have to climb, just saying'  Cheesy

At the end of the video, the guy said he got 2400 feet of elevation in 15 miles....thats a good bit of up.

Also, check out thisd video from Blue Ridge. Nice bit of Pisgah, Dupont and Bent Creek.....

RideMFRide

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Print