Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2]  Print
Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) Leaving hitch racks attached or no? (Read 2347 times)
rob
Big Ring

Re: Leaving hitch racks attached or no?
Reply #20 - 07/27/17 at 11:08pm
Print Post  
fattirz wrote on 07/24/17 at 7:18pm:
So my thought of a custom bike rack for my future Africa Twin would have the rear wheel of the bike at the left rear passenger peg (bike is facing the rear of the moto), bike bars turned 90 degrees to the left (handlebars of the bike line up with the top tube) and a tray of sorts coming off the back of the motorcycle for the front wheel of the bike secured with two short tie-down straps .  I haven't done a mock-up at all, so who knows how well it would work at this point?  That's the basic gist of it.  Undecided Shocked Huh

Interesting. I'll go out and hold the bike up in that position in a bit. But first thought is that would interfere with the side case (for me, keeping the side cases are a huge plus). Also, having the rear wheel on the passenger peg would put the bike fairly far back. You'd likely want the front wheel lower, to get out of the wind, especially since at 90 degree. But then might block the rear lighting. Hmmmm.... 

Some interesting implementations on this thread.
(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links) (Attachment deleted)

The Cycle Path wrote on 05/19/11 at 9:59pm:
It was fine for the race last night.  Can't see that it'd be any worse today.  Go ride!!

IP Logged

LooseCannon2

Work Ride Tarheel Trailblazers

Reply #21 - 08/04/17 at 11:49am
Print Post  
My 1Up stays on all the time and covers up my license plate perfectly.

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links) (Attachment deleted)

IP Logged

jeremiah

Work Ride Tarheel Trailblazers

Reply #22 - 08/04/17 at 11:51am
Print Post  
Haha...added benefits!

Niner EMD Frankenbike
Mongoose Malus Fatbike

IP Logged

MX Mac
Coaster Bike

Old School, West Side
CLT Kid

Reply #23 - 08/11/17 at 2:10am
Print Post  
I have a SARIS 4 bike, 4up hitch mount.  I drive an old BMW X5, and I have become quite good at quickly pulling the rack off and putting it on.   It weighs about 70 pounds and i don't prefer driving around with it on more than required.  If I plan to ride every other day for a few weeks, etc, I will leave it on, but if we have a big rain,etc, especially in the winter, then i pull it off.   My SARIS rack retails for about $700. I paid $500.  That said, with dual exhaust, each end of the rack is already slightly dis-colored due to exhaust blow out.  That is also where the internal locking mechanism pull out and retract from.  I want to keep the rack looking and working good.  Finally, the WWC is dust central.  With big bike racks, Auto Bell doesn't like the style of rack and I don't go there with it on.  I am looking at a one up for various reasons listed by others in other posts. Would be easier and lighter to deal with.     I saw the new 4 up bike hitch wide spaced KUAT last week.  that thing sticks out 4.5 feet and then when folded up almost covers the tailgate window....that would be off my car when not in use.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 
Print