Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Print
Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) Brake Upgrade - Saint, Zee, or Hope Tech (Read 1131 times)
The Duckster
Coaster Bike

Work Ride Tarheel Trailblazers

Brake Upgrade - Saint, Zee, or Hope Tech
08/03/17 at 7:18pm
Print Post  
I can never get rid of the upgrade-itis and I just cant leave anything alone, so I think my next upgrade will be new brakes. I currently have Shimano Hydraulic discs on my Kona Honzo (I think they are Deores....but they are like an OEM-only Shimano brake, so the part number isn't normal).

However, more stopping is never a bad idea. So I think I have widdled the list down to Shimano Saints, Shimano Zees, or some version of Hope Techs. I have zero experience with any of them, so just looking for some local input. I have read tons about all of them, but some parts work better for different trails, so its good to have local input.

So whaddaya think?

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links) (Attachment deleted)

IP Logged

Slothzilla
Small Cog

Re: Brake Upgrade - Saint, Zee, or Hope Tech
Reply #1 - 08/03/17 at 7:47pm
Print Post  
Those are all pretty powerful brake sets...are you having issues with yours now or simply wanting to get something new? Where do you ride most often? The Saints and Zees are 4 piston and the Hope's are either 2 or 4 depending on the model.  You would likely get the same results, and maybe more modulation, from a set of SLX or XT stoppers and also save yourself some coin.   

My 2 pennies: the 3 brake sets you have your eye on are more, if not way more, than you need.

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links) (Attachment deleted)

IP Logged

The Duckster
Coaster Bike

Reply #2 - 08/03/17 at 8:42pm
Print Post  
Slothzilla wrote on 08/03/17 at 7:47pm:
Those are all pretty powerful brake sets...are you having issues with yours now or simply wanting to get something new? Where do you ride most often? The Saints and Zees are 4 piston and the Hope's are either 2 or 4 depending on the model.  You would likely get the same results, and maybe more modulation, from a set of SLX or XT stoppers and also save yourself some coin.  

My 2 pennies: the 3 brake sets you have your eye on are more, if not way more, than you need.

Not having issues with my current setup...they are fine! But I just like to customize stuff, and not too worried about the money involved. The upgrade cost is relatively cheap compared to my other hobbies. 

I ride most often at North Meck and WWC. Ive been out to Dupont once. I really just back into biking about 2 months ago.

IP Logged

FredRubble
Little Ring

Reply #3 - 08/03/17 at 10:53pm
Print Post  
Hope Then

IP Logged

The Duckster
Coaster Bike

Reply #4 - 08/04/17 at 12:43am
Print Post  
FredRubble wrote on 08/03/17 at 10:53pm:
Hope Then

Is there any specific version that you would recommend then? I really dislike product lines that have versions as names, instead of unique names....too hard to keep straight! lol.

IP Logged

FredRubble
Little Ring

Reply #5 - 08/04/17 at 9:46am
Print Post  
I would say tech3 x2's or E4's or acombo of both..give cyclepath a call...He's a hope.wizard I believe....

IP Logged

The Duckster
Coaster Bike

Reply #6 - 08/04/17 at 1:25pm
Print Post  
FredRubble wrote on 08/04/17 at 9:46am:
I would say tech3 x2's or E4's or acombo of both..give cyclepath a call...He's a hope.wizard I believe....

Cycle Path is where I would be going anyways! Right up the street!

IP Logged

DamnYankee
Coaster Bike

Reply #7 - 08/04/17 at 2:38pm
Print Post  
Any plans for the old set up?

IP Logged

The Duckster
Coaster Bike

Reply #8 - 08/04/17 at 2:44pm
Print Post  
DamnYankee wrote on 08/04/17 at 2:38pm:
Any plans for the old set up?

Either hook up a friend from back home in NY or hook up a local with a nice brake setup?

IP Logged

rokka23md
Coaster Bike

Reply #9 - 08/04/17 at 6:00pm
Print Post  
FredRubble wrote on 08/04/17 at 9:46am:

I agree.

From personal experience, Hope is more powerful and has better modulation than XT.

Have Hope on old ride and XT on new and dying to get some new Hope's.

IP Logged

The Cycle Path
IB Room
In The Loop
Project Board

Treasurer '11 to '18.
Trail Chair '12-'18,
'20-'21

Reply #10 - 08/05/17 at 4:40pm
Print Post  
rokka23md wrote on 08/04/17 at 6:00pm:

I agree.

From personal experience, Hope is more powerful and has better modulation than XT.

Have Hope on old ride and XT on new and dying to get some new Hope's.

What he said. No other brake can match the modulation of a Hope. Not even Shimano. That being said, if I didn't own the shop and had to choose on a budget, XTs would get my vote. I currently have the E4s front and rear with 8" and 7" rotors. I hade the x2 on the rear before with a 6" rotor and it just felt lacking a bit. That was with the older style levers which the Teach x3s are a huge improvement. If you want to get I. The mtns occasionally then I'd get the E4s better to have too much brake then not enough. The E4s will only give the braking you ask for. Again, great/best hands down modulation.

We carry the finest from Specialized, Yeti, Transition, and Kona.
IP Logged

The Duckster
Coaster Bike

Reply #11 - 08/07/17 at 1:47pm
Print Post  
The Cycle Path wrote on 08/05/17 at 4:40pm:

What he said. No other brake can match the modulation of a Hope. Not even Shimano. That being said, if I didn't own the shop and had to choose on a budget, XTs would get my vote. I currently have the E4s front and rear with 8" and 7" rotors. I hade the x2 on the rear before with a 6" rotor and it just felt lacking a bit. That was with the older style levers which the Teach x3s are a huge improvement. If you want to get I. The mtns occasionally then I'd get the E4s better to have too much brake then not enough. The E4s will only give the braking you ask for. Again, great/best hands down modulation.

Sweet! Can you guys order them at the shop? Id much rather order than through you guys so I know I will be getting exactly what I need.

IP Logged

Dirkdee
Coaster Bike

Reply #12 - 08/07/17 at 6:16pm
Print Post  
I have the same Hope E4 set-up. Very nice set up. At first I was a little disappointed as it isn't immediately obvious until you get used to the way they work... compared to XT they don't stop you as abruptly but as mentioned it's all about the modulation... and they are very reliable too. I have some Hope single piston brakes that I've trickled down to the commuter bike... had them since 2003 with only a few bleeds and of course pad replacement.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Print