Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 3  Print
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) Cyclofest 2017 (Read 5743 times)
Doc00t
IB Room
In The Loop
Project Board

When in DOUBT, PEDAL it
OUT

Cyclofest 2017
09/18/17 at 11:30pm
Print Post  
Cyclofest (Presented by Interbike) 2017 will be kicked off Wednesday October 18th with a service project. 

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

What prey tell are we working on you ask. Well last year we worked on finishing a section that turned 1/2 of the thread trail into a loop.  This year we will complete the job by finishing another section that will turn the rest of the thread trail into a loop instead of an out-and-back.  

Where: USNWWC (North Parking lot)
When: Oct. 18th Wednesday from 1-5
Who: Interbike folks, USNWWC folks, THTB folks, and YOU

Tools will be supplied

Recommend: (Work gloves) (a hydration pack or backpack for water, snacks or any extra clothes you decide to shed) (favorite trail tool if you have one) (clothes that you don't mind getting dirty)

NO EXPERIENCE NECESSARY.  If you are worried you won't know what to do come on out and we will show you how.

This is a great way to kick off a great weekend here in the Queen City.  Come be apart!

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links) (Attachment deleted)

Scars are like Tattoos only with better Stories

IP Logged

Harry Balsagna
Small Cog

Keep on rocking in the
free world.

Re: Cyclofest 2017
Reply #1 - 09/19/17 at 2:27pm
Print Post  
I'm going to go ahead and clog all of the forums this morning.  In for the workday.

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links) (Attachment deleted)

I'm in no condition to ride...wait! I shouldn't listen to myself, I'm drunk!

IP Logged

BJE
Coaster Bike

Work Ride Tarheel Trailblazers

Reply #2 - 09/19/17 at 3:53pm
Print Post  
Recommend: (Work gloves) (a hydration pack or backpack for water, snacks or any extra clothes you decide to shed) (favorite trail tool if you have one) (clothes that you don't mind getting dirty)

Power tools (weed eater) or just hand tools?

Oh, and I am in.
« Last Edit: 09/19/17 at 3:55pm by BJE »  

IP Logged

lee flythe
Coaster Bike

Reply #3 - 09/19/17 at 6:39pm
Print Post  
Am curious to see the route.  That project has been a priority for years, but the far end of the Thread corridor is hemmed in between a swamp and private property.  Wonder if they finally found a way to use the private property?

work to eat.  eat to live.  live to ride.  ride to work.
IP Logged

OoHoO
Little Ring

Gnar...Gnar...Gnar..

Reply #4 - 09/19/17 at 6:52pm
Print Post  
I'll be there...

2016 Santa Cruz Hightower CC 29 - Ridin' It
2014 Specialized Stumpjumper FSR 29 - Gone
2012 Cannondale Trail 6 - Gone

IP Logged

Doc00t
IB Room
In The Loop
Project Board

When in DOUBT, PEDAL it
OUT

Reply #5 - 09/19/17 at 7:12pm
Print Post  
lee flythe wrote on 09/19/17 at 6:39pm:
Am curious to see the route.  That project has been a priority for years, but the far end of the Thread corridor is hemmed in between a swamp and private property.  Wonder if they finally found a way to use the private property?

They got permission to use some of the Private Property

IP Logged

drdirt55
Small Cog

Stupid should be painful

Reply #6 - 09/19/17 at 8:46pm
Print Post  
Strong maybe here

Ride On

IP Logged

lee flythe
Coaster Bike

Reply #7 - 09/20/17 at 12:51am
Print Post  
Doc00t wrote on 09/19/17 at 7:12pm:

They got permission to use some of the Private Property

That's great news.  Awesome terrain over there.  Wishing I could have been involved given all the time I spent searching for a solution to the loop issue.   

Maybe while they're at it they'll be able to shift some of the other swampy sections to higher ground.   
The original Thread corridor is all in a flood plain (or something similar.....specifics elude me), and the trail is built on the highest ground available in the corridor, in many cases right up against the property line.  Even moving the trial a dozen feet or so to the opposite side of the line would provide much higher ground than the trail was originally allowed to utilize.

IP Logged

ChosenOne
Little Ring

Reply #8 - 09/21/17 at 5:21pm
Print Post  
lee flythe wrote on 09/20/17 at 12:51am:

That's great news.  Awesome terrain over there.  Wishing I could have been involved given all the time I spent searching for a solution to the loop issue.  

Maybe while they're at it they'll be able to shift some of the other swampy sections to higher ground.  
The original Thread corridor is all in a flood plain (or something similar.....specifics elude me), and the trail is built on the highest ground available in the corridor, in many cases right up against the property line.  Even moving the trial a dozen feet or so to the opposite side of the line would provide much higher ground than the trail was originally allowed to utilize. 

I have already ridden much of the proposed new route...  Not much to be excited about really... a good bit of it is only about 50 or 60 feet up the hill from the current trail.

I hope they figure out something to address the two mud holes... that is my least favorite part of the entire trail system.

IP Logged

lee flythe
Coaster Bike

Reply #9 - 09/22/17 at 2:26pm
Print Post  
ChosenOne wrote on 09/21/17 at 5:21pm:

I have already ridden much of the proposed new route...  Not much to be excited about really... a good bit of it is only about 50 or 60 feet up the hill from the current trail.

I hope they figure out something to address the two mud holes... that is my least favorite part of the entire trail system.

50-60ft away is preferable to some of the previous concepts which had been proposed.  I've walked that property with upper management multiple times where I had to talk them out of (1.) building the loop in the sewer line easement which spends half the year under water, or (2.) building the loop in the existing CTT easement, which would mean two trails would be no more than 10ft apart in most cases, and in some cases trails would be on opposite sides of the same tree.  Venturing 50-60ft away into the private property is a MUCH better solution than either of those options.

As for the mud-holes......in my own defense.......I suggested MANY ways to fix them in the past and none were approved.  I've suggested wooden boardwalks (which I hear they built one......I haven't seen it yet), I've suggested raising the trailbed with ballast stone, I've suggested paving stones, I've suggested re-routing into the private property (but we didn't have permission at the time), and none of those things were approved by upper management.  I finally succumbed to frustration, cut up a bunch of small cedar, laid them neatly in the mudholes, and walked away.  That improved things for a short while, until high waters floated the logs away (guess I should have pinned them in with rebar.

Upper management kept telling me to fix the issue, but would not allow me to employ any effective technique.  They seemed to think I could "fill in" the holes with dirt (which would simply turn to slop as soon as it got wet) and fix the problem.  At some point I turned my attention to winnable battles elsewhere in the trail system and let the CTT fend for itself. In the end, that was probably a major factor in my removal.  I was blamed for not fixing a problem I was not allowed to fix.

IP Logged

Mike 5
Small Cog

Reply #10 - 09/29/17 at 1:10am
Print Post  
I am in for the work project.

"Bad decisions make for great stories."

IP Logged

Doc00t
IB Room
In The Loop
Project Board

When in DOUBT, PEDAL it
OUT

Reply #11 - 09/29/17 at 2:12am
Print Post  
I am happy to add that Recovery brand will be there so that means shirts for volunteers, drink vouches, and I hear some socks from the Interbike folks.

IP Logged

ChosenOne
Little Ring

Reply #12 - 10/01/17 at 9:55pm
Print Post  
I was out there today... A lot of progress already on the remainder of the thread circle.  Sad and excited as I loved the initial 2way thread... but have grown to enjoy the new one-way sections.

Not sure what is left for CycleFest?

IP Logged

TrillWill
IB Room
In The Loop
Project Board

THTB Board member 16'-23'
LKN TC

Reply #13 - 10/10/17 at 7:54pm
Print Post  
I be there slingin dirt!  My group built a pretty sweet jump last year.  I'm looking forward to more of the same this year  Wink

Ride boards, ride bikes, ride life #shredeverything

IP Logged

Harry Balsagna
Small Cog

Keep on rocking in the
free world.

Reply #14 - 10/16/17 at 2:09pm
Print Post  
Whats the schedule/plan for the workday?  Is the THTB crew meeting at a specific spot?  Will there be a backhoe for me to play around with?

IP Logged

Doc00t
IB Room
In The Loop
Project Board

When in DOUBT, PEDAL it
OUT

Reply #15 - 10/16/17 at 2:58pm
Print Post  
Meeting at the North parking lot trailhead @ 1:00.  We will be working on doing the finishing work on the end of the thread trail.  Heard from Tim K. from the Whitewater Center this morning:

"there is going to be a lot of flat shovel work especially for a couple hips/jumps and rollers, we are going through pine forest at the end so there is a bunch of loam and really duffy material, so just making drainage really effective is going to be the key"

So it looks like we will get a chance to dial it in which is pretty cool.  Look forward to seeing everyone out there.  Shirts from Recoverybrands.com, Socks from Interbike folks, and some free drink vouchers from the bar afterwords.  Sweet deal.

« Last Edit: 10/16/17 at 2:59pm by Doc00t »  

IP Logged

Harry Balsagna
Small Cog

Keep on rocking in the
free world.

Reply #16 - 10/16/17 at 3:11pm
Print Post  
Doc00t wrote on 10/16/17 at 2:58pm:
.. loam and really duffy material ..

^^ things that mountain bikers say.  Sounds great, see you out there!

IP Logged

Dirkdee
Coaster Bike

Reply #17 - 10/16/17 at 6:51pm
Print Post  
Doc00t wrote on 10/16/17 at 2:58pm:
Meeting at the North parking lot trailhead 

Which one is that? Same place as last year?

IP Logged

Doc00t
IB Room
In The Loop
Project Board

When in DOUBT, PEDAL it
OUT

Reply #18 - 10/16/17 at 6:53pm
Print Post  
Dirkdee wrote on 10/16/17 at 6:51pm:

Which one is that? Same place as last year?

Yes Sir

IP Logged

NC Kingsting
Small Cog

Veni Vidi Vici

Reply #19 - 10/17/17 at 10:47am
Print Post  
Anybody know what's up with the fun Enduro event they had planned as part of this event?  Had seen it on the USNWC web site earlier and now it's gone. I see a CX race and a road ride but didn't see anything MTB related on either the Cyclofest site or the White Water one. Was I sniffing glue or did that get retracted for some reason?

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 3 
Print