Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Print
Normal Topic 27.5 Plus tires (Read 497 times)
Meisterberger

Work Ride Tarheel Trailblazers

27.5 Plus tires
02/26/18 at 12:30pm
Print Post  
Anyone riding the Plus sized bikes and if so how do you like the handling characteristics?
Any Pros or cons other than being heavier? Any input would be greatly appreciated.

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links) (Attachment deleted)

IP Logged

Scott77

Work Ride Tarheel Trailblazers

Re: 27.5 Plus tires
Reply #1 - 02/27/18 at 1:29am
Print Post  
I had been riding 2.8s on my Mojo.  Noticed they made going up rocky/rooty steep climbs easier as it was rare to get much rear wheel spins.  It was more forgiving for poor line choice as well.  Didn't seem to slow me down, but then again, I'm not the fastest around.  Recently, I've changed to 2.6 and think this may be where I hang out for a while.

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links) (Attachment deleted)

IP Logged

StevenA
Coaster Bike

Re: 27.5 Plus tires
Reply #2 - 03/06/18 at 1:56am
Print Post  
Tires: Specialized Ground Control 3.0
Bike: Stumpjumper FSR
Rider: Intermediate skills with Black Diamond dreams

Plush ride: This is probably the most undersold benefit of the plus tire.  It really soaks up the small rocks and roots.  I tried to ride my 26" hardtail again and my back wondered how I ever thought it was fun.

Handling: Rolling around at 15 psi creates quite a bit of surface area between the tire and trail.  I've noticed better grip especially when conditions are poor.  

Confidence: For right or wrong, I have more confidence when riding on the plus tires. I like to try new trails on the plus tires because I believe they give me the best survival chance if it gets more gnarly than I expected.

8/10:  I rode the 3.0s for about 1000 miles but I'm back to my 29ers.  Will ride them again.  Farlow Gap 2018!

I used to be addicted to the Hokey Pokey but then I turned myself around.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Print