Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Print
Normal Topic Knee Pads for Trail use (Read 1084 times)
DG
Small Cog

Work Ride Tarheel Trailblazers

Knee Pads for Trail use
08/22/18 at 3:25pm
Print Post  
Hey guys since we have experience to sell in this group here is my question. I was wondering if you suggest to use knee pads in the trails here around charlotte, and if yes which one. I am trying to make up my mind and I am 50%50% undecided which is the worst. I feel that they are not needed but at the same time the only time you fall you want your knees protected. I do not jump (age does not allow me) so what are your 2 cents?

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links) (Attachment deleted)

IP Logged

JasonK
Ex Member

Re: Knee Pads for Trail use
Reply #1 - 08/22/18 at 3:45pm
Print Post  
It doesn't hurt to wear them if it will give you piece of mind.  They are designed to offer protection.  Most riders (myself included) probably wouldn't feel the need for that on local trails, but for those that do more power to them.  I have a pair of TLD pads that I wear at times but not around here.  They rub my right knee at a spot where it gets annoying pretty quick when pedaling a ton.  My 2 cents.

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links) (Attachment deleted)

IP Logged

DG
Small Cog

Reply #2 - 08/22/18 at 4:19pm
Print Post  
Quote:
It doesn't hurt to wear them if it will give you piece of mind.  They are designed to offer protection.  Most riders (myself included) probably wouldn't feel the need for that on local trails, but for those that do more power to them.  I have a pair of TLD pads that I wear at times but not around here.  They rub my right knee at a spot where it gets annoying pretty quick when pedaling a ton.  My 2 cents.

My fear is exactely what you state i do not want to overprotect and just add disconfort when peddaling

IP Logged

JasonK
Ex Member

Reply #3 - 08/22/18 at 5:47pm
Print Post  
DG wrote on 08/22/18 at 4:19pm:

My fear is exactely what you state i do not want to overprotect and just add disconfort when peddaling

Yeah for me, not worth it for the type of riding we do on most of our local trails.  But I guess if you can find some pads that are so comfortable you don't even notice them then why not.  Not the case with mine unfortunately.

IP Logged

collin_i
Little Ring

Reply #4 - 08/22/18 at 6:28pm
Print Post  
I've been using a pair of Kali Strike all summer, and don't mind wearing them a bit. Hell, I even wore them for ORAMM. They're a nice insurance policy IMHO.

IP Logged

DG
Small Cog

Reply #5 - 08/22/18 at 6:30pm
Print Post  
collin_i wrote on 08/22/18 at 6:28pm:
I've been using a pair of Kali Strike all summer, and don't mind wearing them a bit. Hell, I even wore them for ORAMM. They're a nice insurance policy IMHO.

Thanks for the tip! 

IP Logged

Joe F
Coaster Bike

Reply #6 - 08/24/18 at 3:45pm
Print Post  
Alpinestars Paragon for me ever since a rock garden at Sherman left me with this bloody mess and a badly bruised knee cap a few years back.  Pull them on and off just like socks.  Pretty comfortable too.  YMMV. 

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

« Last Edit: 08/24/18 at 3:46pm by Joe F »  

IP Logged

MTB4U
Coaster Bike

AKA: MTBSurfer

Reply #7 - 09/28/18 at 12:43pm
Print Post  
I love the G-Form knee pads.  You can hardly feel them on because they are fairly soft until they are hit hard and then they stiffen. Cool tech.

Since getting 13 stitches in my knee a few years ago after falling for no good reason, I feel better with them on..
« Last Edit: 09/28/18 at 12:43pm by MTB4U »  

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Print