Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Print
Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) Rock Hill MTB Challenge (Read 2626 times)
pearl
Little Ring

Rock Hill MTB Challenge
10/02/18 at 7:23pm
Print Post  
(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

I've never ridden this trail, what's it ilke? 3.5 mile lap sounds short, but unsure if it's going to be stupid fast or "technical" trail.

thank

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links) (Attachment deleted)

IP Logged

NC Kingsting
Small Cog

Veni Vidi Vici

Re: Rock Hill MTB Challenge
Reply #1 - 10/03/18 at 12:22am
Print Post  
I’m guessing this is a mix of the 1.1 mile criterium track which is very fast (30+ mph on a road bike) segments of the mtb trails there which I gather are not too hard, all connected by some very chunky blue granite gravel road that runs around the bmx track. The property does have some decent elevation so its possible that Mike may have some tricks up his sleeve. If you haven’t been there before Rock Hill is worth a stop. The volume of world class cycling facilities is truly stunning.
« Last Edit: 10/03/18 at 1:48pm by NC Kingsting »  
(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links) (Attachment deleted)

IP Logged

pearl
Little Ring

Reply #2 - 10/03/18 at 1:22pm
Print Post  
Thanks, I've only ever done the criterium course, the facility is amazing!

IP Logged

pearl
Little Ring

Reply #3 - 11/03/18 at 8:28pm
Print Post  
Bummer this wasn’t more popular this year, maybe blame the weather? The course was perfect, reg fee was cheap, food and beer voucher, at an amazing venue, well run, I could go on.... support your local races, otherwise they will just disappear!

IP Logged

DG
Small Cog

Work Ride Tarheel Trailblazers

Reply #4 - 11/06/18 at 11:53am
Print Post  
pearl wrote on 11/03/18 at 8:28pm:
Bummer this wasn’t more popular this year, maybe blame the weather? The course was perfect, reg fee was cheap, food and beer voucher, at an amazing venue, well run, I could go on.... support your local races, otherwise they will just disappear!

I would have come but they told me it was for fast racers.... Maybe they should do two races one for everyone and one more for the sporty people? I have found the same problem also overseas where "normal" riders will not take the chance as they fell unwanted or not quite pair. There is a huge lack of communication unfortunately and this drives people away.
This of course it is my point of view, but frankly as my job is marketing and communication I think I know what I am talking about as a prospect "racer".
I think that people are intimidated and therefore will not even try to attempt.

IP Logged

NC Kingsting
Small Cog

Veni Vidi Vici

Reply #5 - 11/06/18 at 3:07pm
Print Post  
Have to echo the communication point. My first touch was via Pearls post above and didn’t hear anything afterwards for a month. It didn’t cross my radar again till I happened across a participant at the Trek store getting his bike repaired the day before the event. Bit of a bummer as I wanted to get out and support the event but by that time family obligations had spoken for my time. Sounded like they had put together a very cool event with a party and the ability to try a track bike on the velodrome. If it comes together next year I’d love to give it a try.

IP Logged

pearl
Little Ring

Reply #6 - 11/06/18 at 3:52pm
Print Post  
DG wrote on 11/06/18 at 11:53am:

I would have come but they told me it was for fast racers.... Maybe they should do two races one for everyone and one more for the sporty people? I have found the same problem also overseas where "normal" riders will not take the chance as they fell unwanted or not quite pair. There is a huge lack of communication unfortunately and this drives people away.
This of course it is my point of view, but frankly as my job is marketing and communication I think I know what I am talking about as a prospect "racer".
I think that people are intimidated and therefore will not even try to attempt.

Ha, that's silly. The Cat 3 field at noon was HUGE with a tons of "everybody" type riders. It was awesome to see so many juniors lined up, it sounds like they are going to rejuvenate the sport. 

I agree it wasn't marketed well though. While I agree racing can be intimidating, Cat 3 is a place where any rider that can ride for an hour can compete it. Tons of people feel just like that and show up and have a blast, plus support the community. I get racing isn't everyones thing, but don't knock it until you try it!

NC Kingsting wrote on 11/06/18 at 3:07pm:
Have to echo the communication point. My first touch was via Pearls post above and didn’t hear anything afterwards for a month. It didn’t cross my radar again till I happened across a participant at the Trek store getting his bike repaired the day before the event. Bit of a bummer as I wanted to get out and support the event but by that time family obligations had spoken for my time. Sounded like they had put together a very cool event with a party and the ability to try a track bike on the velodrome. If it comes together next year I’d love to give it a try.

For sure, I didn't see anything or hear anything else about it going forward which really hurts the numbers. It seems there isn't anywhere to really promote races online besides Facebook; it's obvious this place is pretty quiet overall Sad

IP Logged

teamdicky
Big Ring

Which way is out?

Reply #7 - 11/06/18 at 4:11pm
Print Post  
pearl wrote on 11/03/18 at 8:28pm:
Bummer this wasn’t more popular this year, maybe blame the weather?

I'd blame the lack of marketing hype, the short lap format, and USAC sanctioning (betting those types are saving their efforts for cross this time of year).  The day before weather was a bit discouraging as well.

IMHOMO
« Last Edit: 11/06/18 at 4:13pm by teamdicky »  

IP Logged

SirNotAppearing
IB Room
In The Loop

Reply #8 - 11/06/18 at 4:14pm
Print Post  
Did they do anything to improve the trails prior to the race? Are they putting the proceeds into improving the trails there?
I rode them last year, and they're not something I would pay to ride again.

As far as marketing, it's the same challenge we have with THTB. There's plenty of other avenues to get word out (weeklyrides, bike shops, trail side, etc) just depends on how much effort you want to put into it.

IP Logged

pearl
Little Ring

Reply #9 - 11/06/18 at 4:36pm
Print Post  
teamdicky wrote on 11/06/18 at 4:11pm:
I'd blame the lack of marketing hype, the short lap format, and USAC sanctioning (betting those types are saving their efforts for cross this time of year).  The day before weather was a bit discouraging as well.

IMHOMO

The whole USAC I agree with, it's a scam. Sadly I invested into it for cross this year, because now the one day license is like $300 or something. How many people did that alone drive away? 10 maybe? 

SirNotAppearing wrote on 11/06/18 at 4:14pm:
Did they do anything to improve the trails prior to the race? Are they putting the proceeds into improving the trails there?

As far as marketing, it's the same challenge we have with THTB. There's plenty of other avenues to get word out (weeklyrides, bike shops, trail side, etc) just depends on how much effort you want to put into it.

Can't tell you how the profits were spent sadly... I thought the trails and course made for a great XC race lap. It was rooty, just technical enough to not be a straight up power course like everything in the CLT area. It had some elevation change which is always welcome. The mix of gravel sections in the trails were perfect too.

I don't think you don't race a place because you don't like the trails or they aren't up to par. I mean, how many people show up for short track in the winter, and half the course is gravel/road?

IP Logged

DG
Small Cog

Reply #10 - 11/06/18 at 5:03pm
Print Post  
SirNotAppearing wrote on 11/06/18 at 4:14pm:

A good Marketing is paramount. I have been to different sites that organize races, some are not updated, you write them and they never reply. Some other do not fully understand that communication is the key. Simple as that.   
It is not only here it is everywhere, trust me. The race i go in Italy has the &^&^tiest website and are not able to communicate. Like RH race they were crying that the attendance was poor. Then you go on the website and you understand why. 

Regarding the race i have asked and I was told that it was for super fast people. I am not and do not want to become an issue to others. 

THTB has a terrible website. Today with weebly you are able to get great websites that anyone  can create. But it is not only that, there is a shop with three items for sale that frankly are not so cool. I know it require time to create but people also do not listen. I think last year or so we talked about the jersey but then nothing was done. 

I do not know if you are in the board of the club but i have an idea for example for the jersey and t-shirt. Why not to create a competition within students (also a good way to talk about the club with kids) to create new graphics for merchandising. You can do also with the members and if you win you get a free jersey.  I mean i can talk about marketing and promotion for a while and in my broken english...

IP Logged

SirNotAppearing
IB Room
In The Loop

Reply #11 - 11/06/18 at 5:11pm
Print Post  
DG wrote on 11/06/18 at 5:03pm:

THTB has a terrible website. Today with weebly you are able to get great websites that anyone  can create. But it is not only that, there is a shop with three items for sale that frankly are not so cool. I know it require time to create but people also do not listen. I think last year or so we talked about the jersey but then nothing was done. 

I do not know if you are in the board of the club but i have an idea for example for the jersey and t-shirt. Why not to create a competition within students (also a good way to talk about the club with kids) to create new graphics for merchandising. You can do also with the members and if you win you get a free jersey.  I mean i can talk about marketing and promotion for a while and in my broken english...

Hijacking the topic a bit, but yes, new site, new merch, and better communication are all on the horizon for the club. If you'd like to be involved in that process, PM me your info.

IP Logged

teamdicky
Big Ring

Which way is out?

Reply #12 - 11/06/18 at 9:23pm
Print Post  
DG wrote on 11/06/18 at 5:03pm:

THTB has a terrible website. 

I might be wrong, but I think they're gonna launch a new one... soon... ish.

That and most of the folks on here are not really race-oriented.   Heck, just look at the frequency of new topics in the That's Racin'

If the TTB page is your main marketing angle, your race is probably ded already.

IP Logged

SurlyDave
Small Cog

Reply #13 - 11/06/18 at 10:53pm
Print Post  
pearl wrote on 11/06/18 at 4:36pm:

I don't think you don't race a place because you don't like the trails or they aren't up to par. I mean, how many people show up for short track in the winter, and half the course is gravel/road?

Sorry but I could not disagree more.  If the trails are known to be "not up to par" or not interesting there is not much attraction other than a place to compete.  Yea like the short track series.

IP Logged

DG
Small Cog

Reply #14 - 11/07/18 at 12:12am
Print Post  
SurlyDave wrote on 11/06/18 at 10:53pm:

Sorry but I could not disagree more.  If the trails are known to be "not up to par" or not interesting there is not much attraction other than a place to compete.  Yea like the short track series.

I do not think we will find any UCI world championship race trails in Charlotte.  Grin
I think that pearl has a great point here, people will show up if they would feel welcome and not intimidate. The problem is that people perceive a race to be something only for fast kids (I did and apparently was a mistake)., I know that events are tough and may scare the non pro, that is where I think marketing must be perfectly executed. For example the short track series has a training session for newbies and that helps for sure. 

IP Logged

pearl
Little Ring

Reply #15 - 11/07/18 at 11:52am
Print Post  
SurlyDave wrote on 11/06/18 at 10:53pm:

Just trying to have a discussion about this, not argue; but I'm not sure if you are agreeing or disagreeing with me. The winter short track series brings in HUGE numbers, more than I could imagine across all categories. The course is perfect for short track, but in theory it is one trail, with one rock section. The Rock Hill trails aren't Pisgah or anything, but they are certainly challenging at a race pace.

Running a November mtb race, you lose some numbers to CX, but not THAT many.

IP Logged

AMitchell47
Coaster Bike

Reply #16 - 11/07/18 at 3:09pm
Print Post  
I'm in the "should have gone but bailed out because of the rainy weather on Friday" category.

I have a friend who lives in Rock Hill that was sending me pics of a river running down his driveway all day.  So, like the true patsy I am, I decided to save my time and $$ and went for a local road ride.

If the promoters had posted photos of the trails on the facebook site Friday evening or Saturday morning, I would have gone.  They did post a weather forecast for Saturday, but whoopee - it poured Friday.

Unfortunately after racing MX for 30+ years, I've learned that "the track is perfect" can mean anything from perfect to "you will be faster on a jet ski".  The one's I trust will state "we only got 1/4" of rain" or post photos of the track.

A few pics would have reeled me back in and had me race.  I'm glad those who went had a great time.  See everyone at winter short track.

IP Logged

pearl
Little Ring

Reply #17 - 11/07/18 at 8:51pm
Print Post  
AMitchell47 wrote on 11/07/18 at 3:09pm:
I'm in the "should have gone but bailed out because of the rainy weather on Friday" category.

I have a friend who lives in Rock Hill that was sending me pics of a river running down his driveway all day.  So, like the true patsy I am, I decided to save my time and $$ and went for a local road ride.

If the promoters had posted photos of the trails on the facebook site Friday evening or Saturday morning, I would have gone.  They did post a weather forecast for Saturday, but whoopee - it poured Friday.

Unfortunately after racing MX for 30+ years, I've learned that "the track is perfect" can mean anything from perfect to "you will be faster on a jet ski".  The one's I trust will state "we only got 1/4" of rain" or post photos of the track.

A few pics would have reeled me back in and had me race.  I'm glad those who went had a great time.  See everyone at winter short track.

Fair enough, Barnes sent me the photos and I talked him into coming; the place had over 16 hours to dry out since those photos! The last lap I had was tacky hero dirt, the noon race was probably picture perfect.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Print