Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Print
Normal Topic Power Meter (Read 1018 times)
DG
Small Cog

Work Ride Tarheel Trailblazers

Power Meter
10/22/18 at 8:54pm
Print Post  
Hey guys I have been reading various point of view in regards to power meters, and I am not able to make up my mind if it is another cool expensive gadget or it is really worth to improve performances.

I personally think they are (for me) a very nice gadget but not worth spending the money yet (i have my Xmas list that grows longer every day)..... So just want your opinion and point of view.

Grazie

David

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links) (Attachment deleted)

IP Logged

Enoch
Forum Administrator
IB Room
Project Board
In The Loop

Walked with God and he
was not

Re: Power Meter
Reply #1 - 10/22/18 at 9:12pm
Print Post  
Not needed on mtb.

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links) (Attachment deleted)

Do what you like. Stop hating people for their riding habits and get back to hating them for their skin color, religion, politics, and sexual orientation.

IP Logged

DG
Small Cog

Reply #2 - 10/22/18 at 9:30pm
Print Post  
Enoch wrote on 10/22/18 at 9:12pm:
Not needed on mtb.

Why not? I was reading that are not to be used as per a street bike but the data that they can provide can help you. I am really just playing the devil's advocate.

IP Logged

btalley
Big Ring

aka "Lil Bill" or "Squatch"

Reply #3 - 10/22/18 at 9:36pm
Print Post  
DG wrote on 10/22/18 at 8:54pm:
Hey guys I have been reading various point of view in regards to power meters, and I am not able to make up my mind if it is another cool expensive gadget or it is really worth to improve performances.

I personally think they are (for me) a very nice gadget but not worth spending the money yet (i have my Xmas list that grows longer every day)..... So just want your opinion and point of view.

Grazie

David

Ask Bush about his setup.  He has one on his e-bike

Everyone needs at least one boat! 

Talley's Pier 77 Marine
(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)
IP Logged

Enoch
Forum Administrator
IB Room
Project Board
In The Loop

Walked with God and he
was not

Reply #4 - 10/22/18 at 9:47pm
Print Post  
You can't get a consistent power output on a mtb due to terrain changing to quickly. You can still see power outputs, but the will be all over the place. THen there is the looking down to see the numbers thing while navigating single track.

They are great for road riding. and training on the road.

Do what you like. Stop hating people for their riding habits and get back to hating them for their skin color, religion, politics, and sexual orientation.

IP Logged

DG
Small Cog

Reply #5 - 10/22/18 at 9:51pm
Print Post  
Enoch wrote on 10/22/18 at 9:47pm:
You can't get a consistent power output on a mtb due to terrain changing to quickly. You can still see power outputs, but the will be all over the place. THen there is the looking down to see the numbers thing while navigating single track.

They are great for road riding. and training on the road.

Then I must presume that those who are writing great things about mountain bikes using power meter are people who do more marathon like of rides where you have more consistence of the effort rather than trail bikers.

IP Logged

santana
Little Ring

Ich bin für Sie zu schnell

Reply #6 - 10/23/18 at 9:54pm
Print Post  
A power meter can be a very useful tool for the mountain bike. But it also depends on what your goals are in cycling. Data from the Mtn meter is not any harder to read and come up with a training plan compared to a road meter. But once again it all depends on your goals and what you are wanting to accomplish. If you enjoy looking at numbers and graphs then you would get the benefit of having one. If you do not enjoy this or do not have the funds for a personal trainer then I would say just stick with using a heart rate monitor. 

With that being said do you really need a power meter to get faster? The answer is no you don’t. Can you determine your power weakness on the bike and come up with a training plan to overcome that weakness then yes. If you want more advice or have more in depth questions then PM me. 

ciao
Santana

Do you suffur from nympholespy as I?

IP Logged

sCvHeaVens
Small Cog

Reply #7 - 10/24/18 at 12:09pm
Print Post  
As Enoch stated - for the woods they are "cool to have"... 

IMO the power of power meters is knowing your FTP and holding specific zones for a period of time... which the majority of people cannot do either on a MTB.

Outside of that you get "normalized" data which is not that accurate.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Print