Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Print
Normal Topic So what trail is the heir apparent to Beech Spring (Read 721 times)
bdotson
Coaster Bike

So what trail is the heir apparent to Beech Spring
12/06/18 at 11:36pm
Print Post  
Recently have heard several people trailside reminiscing about the late-great Poplar Tent ("Beech Spring") trail. It was my go to ride for a long time and I have a special place in my heart for the twisty singletrack, the Jungle (I and II), Devil's Drop, Round Rock, and of course GRAVITY CAVITY! What a glorious ride! 

So I was curious what you TTB people think about the question - what is today's version of Beech Spring? Which ride holds that kind of fondness for you and why?

I'll go first - Lake Norman's Laurel/Fox/Wildlife loop combo is just superb IMO. A very close second (if not a tie) is my home trail of Steves (RRT). The only thing is I still find No Name to have the alternate name of "That-Climb-Which-Slayeth-My-Carcass". (And I am an old wuss so I will not be riding Death Valley... ever. But that's me - and I'm stupid enough to STILL be a singlespeeder so maybe that explains some stuff!)

Thoughts? Where is your "Beech Spring" in 2018?

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links) (Attachment deleted)

2020 Kona Mahuna Singlespeed (Yes, I am a dinosaur. Affirmative)

IP Logged

renoirbud
Small Cog

Re: So what trail is the heir apparent to Beech Spring
Reply #1 - 12/06/18 at 11:58pm
Print Post  
RRT gets my vote.

The frustrating thing for me was that Poplar tent was still getting better and new stuff added right up until it closed.

Loved that place and wish I could go back now with a more capable bike and the 5% more skill I have acquired.

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links) (Attachment deleted)

E-Bikes = Trail Closures

IP Logged

bdotson
Coaster Bike

Reply #2 - 12/07/18 at 12:54am
Print Post  
I had a back injury that kept me off the bike for about a year and during that time it closed. I was shocked when I got back into things and Poplar tent was gone. Agreed that it would be great to go back with better gear and improved skills to enjoy that place again.
« Last Edit: 12/07/18 at 12:55am by bdotson »  

2020 Kona Mahuna Singlespeed (Yes, I am a dinosaur. Affirmative)

IP Logged

Alex88

Reply #3 - 12/10/18 at 4:09pm
Print Post  
RRT is the only thing close, and actually surpasses what Beech Spring offered, IMHO.

Easy things are not always important, and important things are not always easy...

IP Logged

SurlyDave
Small Cog

Work Ride Tarheel Trailblazers

Reply #4 - 12/10/18 at 7:16pm
Print Post  
RRT.   
If you liked Poplar Tent for its primitive single track traits then there is no other comparison in the Charlotte area.

Steve and others from the crew that put in RRT were the guys that stretched Poplar Tent to 10 miles so there is some Poplar Tent in RRT's veins.

IP Logged

DavidM
Little Ring

Work & Ride with THTB!

Reply #5 - 12/10/18 at 7:51pm
Print Post  
+1 on RRT...it truly is the closest approximation to PT not only on account of the rugged, unpolished aspect of the trail but also in its spaghetti-type layout & easy to follow signage.  The only noticeable differences lie in elevation change.  PT didn't have anywhere near the climbing RRT does.  One of the last extensions to PT I recall was the Pig Trail that forked off to the right from the main trail near the end.  So much fun to ride.

Ephesians 5:11 Have no fellowship with the fruitless deeds of darkness, but rather expose them.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Print