Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2  Print
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) Boxer briefs for bibs. (Read 3134 times)
DG
Small Cog

Work Ride Tarheel Trailblazers

Boxer briefs for bibs.
01/03/19 at 12:03pm
Print Post  
Hey guys I have a question, while riding road bikes you do not really need any garment between you and the bibs, when using a mountain bike this should be not true due to the constant movement off and on the saddle. Do you use any particular boxer briefs (brand style etc) or you use anything that has a great support? I am talking only about bibs as the MTB shorts requires a padded brief...
Thanks David

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links) (Attachment deleted)

IP Logged

JasonK
Ex Member

Re: Boxer briefs for bibs.
Reply #1 - 01/03/19 at 2:01pm
Print Post  
I don't own any bibs that come without padding.  I think all of them do or should at least?  Tri stuff is the exception and has just a thin chamois usually...  On road bikes it would be even more important to me since you stay seated most of the time and the padding helps reduce numbness and discomfort.  Any shorts or bibs I own for cycling I would want to have padding.  If you choose to not wear them and go with boxer briefs I would just avoid cotton.  Go with a dry fit type material and that may reduce chafing and possibly nasty rashes too.  Just my opinion.  I have ridden just work out shorts or whatever before on shorter rides, but it was usually because I had my bike with me and decided spur of the moment to grab a unplanned, quick ride after work and didn't have my "bike clothes" with me.  I always keep shoes, helmets, gloves, etc. in my vehicle so I was covered there.

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links) (Attachment deleted)

IP Logged

DG
Small Cog

Reply #2 - 01/03/19 at 2:49pm
Print Post  
Quote:
I don't own any bibs that come without padding.  I think all of them do or should at least?  Tri stuff is the exception and has just a thin chamois usually...  On road bikes it would be even more important to me since you stay seated most of the time and the padding helps reduce numbness and discomfort.  Any shorts or bibs I own for cycling I would want to have padding.  If you choose to not wear them and go with boxer briefs I would just avoid cotton.  Go with a dry fit type material and that may reduce chafing and possibly nasty rashes too.  Just my opinion.  I have ridden just work out shorts or whatever before on shorter rides, but it was usually because I had my bike with me and decided spur of the moment to grab a unplanned, quick ride after work and didn't have my "bike clothes" with me.  I always keep shoes, helmets, gloves, etc. in my vehicle so I was covered there.    

Thanks for the reply. yes my bibs are with padding. The problem is that yesterday i had an accident where my genitals moved from the comfort position to a non comfortable one. so i was thinking that maybe there could use boxers in the future to avoid the displacement   Grin

IP Logged

JasonK
Ex Member

Reply #3 - 01/03/19 at 3:51pm
Print Post  
Ouch - only takes one time to ask the question I suppose!  When I was first getting used to a dropper post I had a couple "taps on the boys" that caused some serious pain when the seat flew back up from a lowered, to a raised position.

IP Logged

DG
Small Cog

Reply #4 - 01/03/19 at 4:15pm
Print Post  
Quote:
Ouch - only takes one time to ask the question I suppose!  When I was first getting used to a dropper post I had a couple "taps on the boys" that caused some serious pain when the seat flew back up from a lowered, to a raised position. 

I wish they would take into account a little bit more our jewels when they design pants bibs ets. It looks like we are all worried about the bottom but not the front ahahah

IP Logged

Impaler 58
Big Ring

Reply #5 - 01/03/19 at 9:03pm
Print Post  
Wow, talk about not making one word of sense. Your liner or lycra bib or short, should provide enough support. Why do some guys have problems wearing these?

GTalk  
IP Logged

DG
Small Cog

Reply #6 - 01/03/19 at 9:08pm
Print Post  
Impaler 58 wrote on 01/03/19 at 9:03pm:
Wow, talk about not making one word of sense. Your liner or lycra bib or short, should provide enough support. Why do some guys have problems wearing these?

Lol my dear friend I would be very happy not to have problems believe me.

IP Logged

Impaler 58
Big Ring

Reply #7 - 01/03/19 at 9:19pm
Print Post  
The lycra short should have enough stretch and support to hold your boys close. There are articles written telling not to wear anything between you chamois and your skin. If your not getting support, try smaller sizes. Or just forget the lycra liner, and wear a jock strap

GTalk  
IP Logged

Mr.B
Coaster Bike

Reply #8 - 01/03/19 at 9:49pm
Print Post  
Proper fitted roadie bibs w mountain bike shorts is the way to go...no boxers needed.  I've had good luck with Giordana and usually get from Classic Cycling.

IP Logged

DG
Small Cog

Reply #9 - 01/03/19 at 11:22pm
Print Post  
Mr.B wrote on 01/03/19 at 9:49pm:
Proper fitted roadie bibs w mountain bike shorts is the way to go...no boxers needed.  I've had good luck with Giordana and usually get from Classic Cycling.

Does the double padding bibs + Giordana underwear is ok?

IP Logged

DG
Small Cog

Reply #10 - 01/03/19 at 11:29pm
Print Post  

There are different styles which one you use?

IP Logged

DG
Small Cog

Reply #11 - 01/03/19 at 11:31pm
Print Post  
Impaler 58 wrote on 01/03/19 at 9:19pm:
The lycra short should have enough stretch and support to hold your boys close. There are articles written telling not to wear anything between you chamois and your skin. If your not getting support, try smaller sizes. Or just forget the lycra liner, and wear a jock strap

My summer bibs give me no problems it's the winter one. Will try to fit it better.

IP Logged

Mr.B
Coaster Bike

Reply #12 - 01/03/19 at 11:54pm
Print Post  
I use the Silverline all year round on the trail w shorts over top.  I only wear winter bibs when road riding in the winter.

IP Logged

alan t

Reply #13 - 01/04/19 at 11:22am
Print Post  

+1 For sure !!

IP Logged

DK
Small Cog

Reply #14 - 01/04/19 at 1:18pm
Print Post  
I've got a pair of Louis Garneau padded bibs and Pearl Izumi ones and wear just those under my baggy shorts.  They keep everything close and I don't have any issues with my junk being rubbed wrong or moving around.  The LG set wasn't cheap but it is by far the best set of bibs I own.

David

2016 Santa Cruz Tallboy C

IP Logged

sCvHeaVens
Small Cog

Reply #15 - 01/04/19 at 1:34pm
Print Post  
You're going into roadie land and you're going to have to get out of the shy area.  If your bibs are tight enough it should keep things in place; if it shifts reach down and adjust.  I used to be the guy to wear baggies over bibs - I forgot the baggies one day and haven't looked back. 

You must not have seen the people at races applying Chamois butt'r yet Grin

IP Logged

DG
Small Cog

Reply #16 - 01/04/19 at 1:50pm
Print Post  
sCvHeaVens wrote on 01/04/19 at 1:34pm:
You're going into roadie land and you're going to have to get out of the shy area.  If your bibs are tight enough it should keep things in place; if it shifts reach down and adjust.  I used to be the guy to wear baggies over bibs - I forgot the baggies one day and haven't looked back. 

You must not have seen the people at races applying Chamois butt'r yet Grin

No! well in Italy (sorry if i constantly mention Italy up to the nausea but this is were i did most of my biking being italian) mountain bikers uses bibs. Of course there are shorts users but if you go to an xc race, whichever level you see only bibs. So if you see someone in Charlotte wearing bibs on a trail it is most certainly me or you! lol Grin

IP Logged

teamdicky
Big Ring

Which way is out?

Reply #17 - 01/04/19 at 4:35pm
Print Post  
You do you.

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

IP Logged

DG
Small Cog

Reply #18 - 01/04/19 at 4:40pm
Print Post  
teamdicky wrote on 01/04/19 at 4:35pm:
You do you.

Cheesy Grin

IP Logged

Impaler 58
Big Ring

Reply #19 - 01/04/19 at 9:25pm
Print Post  
I've found the black bibs have a very good fit for a very good price (You need to Login or Register to view media files and links) But I'm hip to the winter knickers. They don't have the same fit as the regular shorts. Something about the brushed inside fabric. You can pull it tight, but it seems to slip down. I really like the knickers though. And have put up with the slipping. I don't know why folks don't do this anymore, but wear pair of tights over your bibs. Shoot,you can find all sort of sales on unpadded tights. It used to be if you got too warm, you could just remove the tights. Sorry about a reply a couple of messages ago. I thought it was another homophobic thing about wearing tights Cheesy. The only thing I think baggies are good for, is pockets if your wearing a tee shirt. But there baggies really tight now without pockets.  Huh
« Last Edit: 01/04/19 at 9:29pm by Impaler 58 »  
GTalk  
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 
Print