Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Print
Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) 3x10 to 8-speed conversion (Read 1408 times)
forkit
Coaster Bike

Work Ride Tarheel Trailblazers

3x10 to 8-speed conversion
01/09/19 at 4:50pm
Print Post  
I was starting to explore 'downgrading' to an 8 speed system on my 3x10 system, to get a stronger chain.  The trends toward 11 and 12 speed systems just don't interest me at all.   I want more strength/longevity out of my drivetrain if I don't have to sacrifice too much on shiftability.   I've got sram x9 rear shifters and x0 rear dr;  my front clickers are sram x7 and shimano front dr.  

Has anyone else done this?  How did it work out?  

I see there are wide-range 11-40t 8 speed cassettes out there, which would give me more low-end than my current 11-36t 10x corncob and might lead to going completely 1x up front.   I've discovered jtek engineering's website, which has provided some good info on compatibilty and their pulley ratio adapter thingamijig.  Also, I don't use my big ring, it's just there, so really a 2x10 in use. 
« Last Edit: 01/09/19 at 7:19pm by forkit »  
(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links) (Attachment deleted)

IP Logged

DG
Small Cog

Re: 3x10 to 8-speed conversion
Reply #1 - 01/09/19 at 5:38pm
Print Post  
forkit wrote on 01/09/19 at 4:50pm:
I was starting to explore 'downgrading' to an 8 speed system on my 3x10 system.  The trends toward 11 and 12 speed systems just don't interest me at all.   I want more strength/longevity out of my drivetrain if I don't have to sacrifice too much on shiftability.   I've got sram x9 rear shifters and x0 rear dr;  my front clickers are sram x7 and shimano front dr.  

Has anyone else done this?  How did it work out?  

I see there are wide-range 11-40t 8 speed cassettes out there, which would give me more low-end than my current 11-36t 10x corncob and might lead to going completely 1x up front.   I've discovered jtek engineering's website, which has provided some good info on compatibilty and their pulley ratio adapter thingamijig.  Also, I don't use my big ring, it's just there, so really a 2x10 in use. 

As per my personal experience go 1x completely. I have 2 bikes a cannondale 1x and a cube 3x, this summer (after checking with cube) i am going to go to 1x without regrets. No more headaches with loosing chain or not being able to downshift at the last moment (it happens if you do not know the trail).
I was iffy about 1x but now i love it.

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links) (Attachment deleted)

IP Logged

Zakaraia Hermes
Coaster Bike

Reply #2 - 01/09/19 at 6:49pm
Print Post  
Why not just change it to a 1x10 easily? I’m confused

IP Logged

DG
Small Cog

Reply #3 - 01/09/19 at 7:09pm
Print Post  
Zakaraia Hermes wrote on 01/09/19 at 6:49pm:

Not all frame will be able to work for a 1x. some frames will not have the space to accommodate the cassette in the back (so i was told). It could be also a money issue, not worth the upgrade in comparison to the bike price.

IP Logged

traildog
Big Ring

warning!  SS carrier

Reply #4 - 01/09/19 at 7:16pm
Print Post  

+1.  No need to go to 8 speed in my opinion.  Get a front ring, narrow/wide and do it.  Same cassette options available in 10 speed if not more.  I've seen front rings as low as 28 teeth and that would give a decent granny with even a 36t big gear on the rear.

IP Logged

forkit
Coaster Bike

Reply #5 - 01/09/19 at 7:17pm
Print Post  

The goal is a stronger chain.  I just edited my post to avoid confusion.
« Last Edit: 01/09/19 at 7:21pm by forkit »  

IP Logged

Yellowduck
Big Ring

Reply #6 - 01/09/19 at 9:18pm
Print Post  
forkit wrote on 01/09/19 at 7:17pm:

How often do you break a chain?  The only chain I have ever broke was on my single speed.  My geared bike is a 11 speed and I have never had a problem.  Chains only last 500ish miles or so though before they have stretched enough to be changed.

"Riding skinny is too easy"
-MB
IP Logged

Banjopickin
Big Ring

Spinnin' knees & Hittin'
trees since '85

Reply #7 - 01/09/19 at 10:01pm
Print Post  
forkit wrote on 01/09/19 at 7:17pm:

Seems counter productive to throw out a perfectly fine 10spd drive train for one with less range and fewer options for replacement parts. 

If the ultimate goal for all of this is to prevent chain issues you're better off staying on top of drivetrain maintenance and then buying a chain wear checker and replacing as needed.

Also buying higher quality chains can help.

I have an 8spd SRAM cassette if you are in need....

Advocat wrote on 08/22/13 at 5:16pm:
...packin some Chub in the back of the pick-up.

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

IP Logged

forkit
Coaster Bike

Reply #8 - 01/10/19 at 1:49am
Print Post  
Yellowduck wrote on 01/09/19 at 9:18pm:

How often do you break a chain?  The only chain I have ever broke was on my single speed.  My geared bike is a 11 speed and I have never had a problem.  Chains only last 500ish miles or so though before they have stretched enough to be changed.

Not too often, maybe 4 times over 7 years, once was due to the kmc quicklink twisting off.   I do have to replace the chain due to stretching every year or so, the last one went 500 mi, along with a new cassette maybe every other chain.  I've had better luck with shimano xt chains vs kmc.   My first mountain bike from the 90s had a 7 speed chain which has never been changed.

IP Logged

Doc00t
IB Room
In The Loop
Project Board

When in DOUBT, PEDAL it
OUT

Reply #9 - 01/10/19 at 4:05am
Print Post  
forkit wrote on 01/09/19 at 4:50pm:
to get a stronger chain.  The trends toward 11 and 12 speed systems just don't interest me at all.   I want more strength/longevity out of my drivetrain

Run a 32 on the front, 18 or 19 on the back and use a 610 KMC chain.  Congratulations, you are now a single speeder and have the most durable drive-train in the world and never have to think about shifting again! If your going that way just go all the way!

Scars are like Tattoos only with better Stories

IP Logged

forkit
Coaster Bike

Reply #10 - 01/10/19 at 3:49pm
Print Post  
Banjopickin wrote on 01/09/19 at 10:01pm:

Seems counter productive to throw out a perfectly fine 10spd drive train for one with less range and fewer options for replacement parts. 

If the ultimate goal for all of this is to prevent chain issues you're better off staying on top of drivetrain maintenance and then buying a chain wear checker and replacing as needed.

Also buying higher quality chains can help.

I have an 8spd SRAM cassette if you are in need....

Thanks for the offer.  My wife's bike has a barely used 3x8 drivetrain, or should I say.....HAD.  muahaahahahaha.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Print