Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Print
Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) Trail Bike Suggestions on a $2k Budget? (Read 1970 times)
jebfour

Trail Bike Suggestions on a $2k Budget?
05/13/19 at 8:10pm
Print Post  
Hello Everyone,

Looking to replace my beloved Santa Cruz Bullit that was built for shuttle runs with something more trail friendly for Francis Beatty Park, the Whitewater Center, etc. I don’t have the biggest budget in the world ($2k) so I’m aware that a more entry level bike is where I’m going to end up.

I want (need) full suspension and am leaning towards 29” wheels. I’ve been looking at the Stumpjumper ST 29. I’ve been out of riding for a few years and a lot has changed. What are some of the other bikes I should be looking at?

Thanks in advance!

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links) (Attachment deleted)

IP Logged

SurlyDave
Small Cog

Work Ride Tarheel Trailblazers

Re: Trail Bike Suggestions on a $2k Budget?
Reply #1 - 05/13/19 at 11:10pm
Print Post  
If you really want to go FS for that budget I'd be looking at used bikes on Craigslist or similar as $2K doesn't buy as much as it used to.   Giant has got a sub $2K FS that looks ok but I just can't see the value in a sled like that to ride local.  If you think you need FS to ride Beatty or the WWC your doing it wrong.   
Hardtail for life.

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links) (Attachment deleted)

IP Logged

fattirz
Little Ring
In The Loop

I'm not fat... I'm BIG
BONED!!!

Reply #2 - 05/14/19 at 2:41am
Print Post  
jebfour wrote on 05/13/19 at 8:10pm:
Hello Everyone,

Looking to replace my beloved Santa Cruz Bullit that was built for shuttle runs with something more trail friendly for Francis Beatty Park, the Whitewater Center, etc. I don’t have the biggest budget in the world ($2k) so I’m aware that a more entry level bike is where I’m going to end up.

I want (need) full suspension and am leaning towards 29” wheels. I’ve been looking at the Stumpjumper ST 29. I’ve been out of riding for a few years and a lot has changed. What are some of the other bikes I should be looking at?

Thanks in advance!

You are definitely on the right track with a Stumpjumper ST 29.  Its exactly what I would buy if I were looking (only a 27.5 over a 29 since I’m only 5’8”).  I mostly ride a ‘16 Specialized Camber which was replaced with the Stumpy ST.  Good luck in your shopping.... so many great bikes to choose from these days.  -Brian

Every ride is a good ride... some are just better than others!
YIM  
IP Logged

de49192

Reply #3 - 05/14/19 at 11:49am
Print Post  
Selling a Medium 2017 YT Jeffsy for slightly over 2k - its a 150mm front and rear so a bit more than you need around charlotte, but can take it up to the mountains.  I was on a stumpy evo before this bike.

IP Logged

Zakaraia Hermes
Coaster Bike

Reply #4 - 05/14/19 at 12:06pm
Print Post  
SurlyDave wrote on 05/13/19 at 11:10pm:
If you really want to go FS for that budget I'd be looking at used bikes on Craigslist or similar as $2K doesn't buy as much as it used to.   Giant has got a sub $2K FS that looks ok but I just can't see the value in a sled like that to ride local.  If you think you need FS to ride Beatty or the WWC your doing it wrong.  
Hardtail for life.

Disagree strongly is actually think there are more deals then ever for used full suspension at 2k used.... also spending 2k on a hardtail would be insane imo. I personally need a full suspension because o have 40 years of hard labor on my back and bones but maybe I’m doing it wrong 

IP Logged

Banjopickin
Big Ring

Spinnin' knees & Hittin'
trees since '85

Reply #5 - 05/14/19 at 12:42pm
Print Post  

Dont let budget brands get away from you...

Marin, Diamondback, Fuji, etc all make really nice bikes at really good prices. They may not have the big brand recognition or whatever but an alloy bike with a solid platform and modern drivetrain/components will ride just as good as any other... 

I'd be all over this if my budget was $2.5K... (You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

Advocat wrote on 08/22/13 at 5:16pm:
...packin some Chub in the back of the pick-up.

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

IP Logged

JustinCeez
Coaster Bike

Reply #6 - 05/14/19 at 12:44pm
Print Post  
What SurlyDave said IMO.  I only ride hardtails and even frequent the mountains on them.  I would take another look at hardtails......there's plenty "trail" type hardtail bikes that are more capable than ever.

IP Logged

JustinCeez
Coaster Bike

Reply #7 - 05/14/19 at 12:48pm
Print Post  
Also agree with Bajopickin if set on a FS.  Fuji, Diamondback, Marin etc all make great bikes with way more bang for buck.  I have a Fuji road bike and Fuji Fat bike with great specs and zero issues.

IP Logged

49erRider
Ex Member

Reply #8 - 05/14/19 at 1:40pm
Print Post  
Canyon Bikes are doing a pretty decent job now at a solid bike at a good price.  Don't rule them out.

IP Logged

jebfour

Reply #9 - 05/14/19 at 2:22pm
Print Post  
Thanks to all for the replies! Lots of good info here and I'll be sure to check out the suggestions.

Regarding riding a hardtail: It's not that I wouldn't go back to one, it's just that my 46 year old body tells me I shouldn't. I don't need a ton of cushion, but I need some...

IP Logged

traildog
Big Ring

warning!  SS carrier

Reply #10 - 05/14/19 at 3:47pm
Print Post  
I'm 66 and ride nothing but hardtails and occasionally rigid.  FS is overrated in my opinion, especially around here.

IP Logged

Mike 5
Small Cog

Reply #11 - 05/14/19 at 10:28pm
Print Post  
Test ride, buy what you like, spend what you can afford. Can’t really go too wrong these days.

"Bad decisions make for great stories."

IP Logged

schnebit
Coaster Bike

Reply #12 - 05/15/19 at 12:53am
Print Post  
+1 on specialized stumpy 29r ST...I just purchased one and its a great bike all around for Charlotte trails. But that being said, I am 48 years old and I also have a 27.5 steel hardtail and I am way faster on it. Maybe its because this is my first full suspension in a few years and I love riding my hardtail.
Ed

I'm too old for the big ring. That's why I only have one

IP Logged

BeardofshMe
Coaster Bike

Reply #13 - 05/15/19 at 2:26am
Print Post  
(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

Looks like a fair deal....but who knows

IP Logged

Tom F
In The Loop

I'm ready. Get the bike.

Reply #14 - 05/15/19 at 12:50pm
Print Post  
[quote author=3D313C372B20590 link=1557778241/13#13 date=1557887168] (You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

Looks like a fair deal....but who knows

It is in Washington. Local pickup only.  
« Last Edit: 05/15/19 at 11:17pm by Tom F »  

2011 (frame) Santa Cruz Superlight & Stumpy Comp (1999), 2017 Tallboy C RX2
22Levo

IP Logged

49erRider
Ex Member

Reply #15 - 05/15/19 at 1:10pm
Print Post  
Lots of comments for the SJ ST.  Seems overpriced for the components spec on it.

IP Logged

fattirz
Little Ring
In The Loop

I'm not fat... I'm BIG
BONED!!!

Reply #16 - 05/15/19 at 2:53pm
Print Post  
schnebit wrote on 05/15/19 at 12:53am:
+1 on specialized stumpy 29r ST...I just purchased one and its a great bike all around for Charlotte trails. But that being said, I am 48 years old and I also have a 27.5 steel hardtail and I am way faster on it. Maybe its because this is my first full suspension in a few years and I love riding my hardtail.
Ed

I'm also 48 but had a back injury in my mid 20's.  I sold my last hardtail ('02 Cannondale F2000 w/ Lefty) two years ago and will never consider one from here on out.  It's more of a comfort thing for me over performance.  My '16 Camber climbs like a hardtail and weights ~27 pounds.  The extra few pounds of suspension I'm pedaling around are well worth the trade off when it comes to the comfort.

Every ride is a good ride... some are just better than others!
YIM  
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Print