Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Print
Normal Topic Rear tire recommendations? (Read 1532 times)
Lawrence Ismail

Work Ride Tarheel Trailblazers

Rear tire recommendations?
07/24/19 at 4:16pm
Print Post  
Hey everyone,

I am fairly new to the sport and bought a 2019 Specialized Rockhopper Pro 1x last October. It came with a Ground Control Sport, 29x2.3" up front and a Fast Trak Sport, 29x2.1" in the rear. 

The rear tire is getting close to worn out and I am starting to research replacement options. I feel like I would like to have more grip in the rear in general and I am less worried about speed at the moment. I want to build some skills and confidence first. 

Any suggestions would be appreciated!
-Lawrence

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links) (Attachment deleted)

IP Logged

Cherokee
Little Ring

Re: Rear tire recommendations?
Reply #1 - 07/24/19 at 5:12pm
Print Post  
You already have a similar setup to mine...Ground Control front and Fast Trak rear except that I use an S-Works casing. The Sport casing is the cheapest tire version that Specialized makes. The higher end casings are more supple and have a grippier rubber compound, both of which enhance traction. Keep in mind though that you want the rear tire to break loose before the front when cornering. But you can move up to the Ground Control (regular control casing) and that would improve your rear tire grip noticeably. I would keep the 2.1 size so that it still breaks loose before the front. I've ridden that setup before and it worked well. I just go with the Fast Trak on the rear for lower rolling resistance.

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links) (Attachment deleted)

"The state is the great fiction by which each of us seeks to live at the expense of all of us."    --19th century French economist Frederic Bastiat

IP Logged

Lawrence Ismail

Reply #2 - 07/24/19 at 5:51pm
Print Post  
Thanks Cherokee, I was kinda leaning towards the Ground Control in the rear so it is good to hear it from someone who has tried it out.

IP Logged

Lawrence Ismail

Reply #3 - 07/24/19 at 6:10pm
Print Post  
Would you recommend the S-Works casing Ground Control? Looks like Specialized has three versions on their site: S-Works, GRID, and standard.

IP Logged

Cherokee
Little Ring

Reply #4 - 07/25/19 at 4:32pm
Print Post  
Lawrence Ismail wrote on 07/24/19 at 6:10pm:
Would you recommend the S-Works casing Ground Control? Looks like Specialized has three versions on their site: S-Works, GRID, and standard. 

What is now the "standard" casing used to be called the "control" casing, which got a little confusing given that the "control" is part of the name of the Ground Control tire. That might be why they changed. I'll say that I've torn the sidewall of a couple of S-works casings on the rear (never on the front) and will start going with the standard casing on the rear in the future. I don't think you need the Grid casing in this area.

"The state is the great fiction by which each of us seeks to live at the expense of all of us."    --19th century French economist Frederic Bastiat

IP Logged

Lawrence Ismail

Reply #5 - 07/25/19 at 6:25pm
Print Post  
Awesome, thanks!

IP Logged

hudsontp
Big Ring

Reply #6 - 08/04/19 at 12:16pm
Print Post  
Im a bit fan of the ground control front and rear for local charlotte stuff. Its a good combo if you want to try something different. I think the control casing is great for around here. I would think about going up to a 2.3 though, unless youre pretty small (i.e. weigh a lot less than me  Smiley) as itll provide more grip, you can run slightly lower pressure, and soften up some of our roots. 

Im running geound control front and fast trak rear at the moment since i wanted a little lighter tore, but ive run ground control front and rear for quite a while and loved it. Purgatory front and ground control is a little better combo if you plan om hitting the mtns.

Just my $0.02

IP Logged

Lawrence Ismail

Reply #7 - 08/07/19 at 7:58pm
Print Post  
Thanks hudsontp. I am 6'2" 240ish so not light lol. 

Starting to lean toward a Maxxis Ardent 2.4 in the front and an Ardent Race 2.3 in the rear based on other recommendations as well.

IP Logged

hudsontp
Big Ring

Reply #8 - 08/07/19 at 8:03pm
Print Post  
Lawrence Ismail wrote on 08/07/19 at 7:58pm:
Thanks hudsontp. I am 6'2" 240ish so not light lol. 

Starting to lean toward a Maxxis Ardent 2.4 in the front and an Ardent Race 2.3 in the rear based on other recommendations as well.

Also not a bad way to go. But higher volume is definetly the way to go for most of us...2.6 tires are even becoming more the norm on new bikes (but dont fit every frame)...

IP Logged

Tinkertown
Coaster Bike

Reply #9 - 08/28/19 at 5:53pm
Print Post  
hudsontp wrote on 08/04/19 at 12:16pm:
Purgatory front and ground control is a little better combo if you plan om hitting the mtns.

Just my $0.02

Or Butcher front and rear. I find that the Purg "feels" slower than a Butcher.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Print