Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Print
Normal Topic Onyx Vesper / I9 / Project 321 Hubs (Read 1879 times)
de49192

Work Ride Tarheel Trailblazers

Onyx Vesper / I9 / Project 321 Hubs
11/28/19 at 11:00am
Print Post  
Looking at building up a new wheelset and was wondering if anyone here has any experience with the Onyx Vesper or Project 321 Hubs compared to the new I9 Hydras.

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links) (Attachment deleted)

IP Logged

Enoch
Forum Administrator
IB Room
Project Board
In The Loop

Walked with God and he
was not

Re: Onyx Vesper / I9 / Project 321 Hubs
Reply #1 - 11/28/19 at 1:04pm
Print Post  
Only negative to Onyx is they are heavy. 321 magnetic hubs are are unknown quantity at this time.  I have built several sets of Hydra hubs with no issues so far. THe I9 101 hubs are a cheaper option. They are on par with the old Torch hub.

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links) (Attachment deleted)

Do what you like. Stop hating people for their riding habits and get back to hating them for their skin color, religion, politics, and sexual orientation.

IP Logged

Patches
Coaster Bike

Reply #2 - 11/28/19 at 2:12pm
Print Post  
Enoch wrote on 11/28/19 at 1:04pm:
Only negative to Onyx is they are heavy.

Onyx has released the new Vesper model hub, which has shaved some weight:

noblwheels.com/the-all-new-onyx-vesper
"The long anticipated Onyx Vesper has landed. The signature Onyx Racing Products sprag clutch hub is now available in a lighter and more easily adaptable format. The Vesper inherits the performance focused DNA of its predecessor without compromise. Significant revisions and tweaks on both the front and rear hubs result in a weight saving of around 156g depending on the configuration."

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links).
"July 12, 2019 After years of teasing, Onyx has released their updated sprag clutch equipped Vesper hubs. What's the difference? Functionally, only that the Vesper rear hubs weigh 136 grams less, resulting in a total weight of 389 grams (.86lbs) - down from 525 grams (1.16 lbs)."

IP Logged

Enoch
Forum Administrator
IB Room
Project Board
In The Loop

Walked with God and he
was not

Reply #3 - 11/28/19 at 5:37pm
Print Post  
Yea they shaved over 100 grams but its still over 100 heavier than I9 or Dt Swiss

Do what you like. Stop hating people for their riding habits and get back to hating them for their skin color, religion, politics, and sexual orientation.

IP Logged

Patches
Coaster Bike

Reply #4 - 11/28/19 at 5:55pm
Print Post  
Onyx Vesper: Comparable in weight to Chris King though, without the rolling drag, and the reviews indicate that the reliability is very good.

Certainly a worthy consideration for your next high end wheel build.

IP Logged

Ridefour15
Little Ring

Reply #5 - 11/28/19 at 10:44pm
Print Post  
If I were getting mtb wheels built right now I'd probably go with the Industry Nine 1/1 hubs.  90POE is plenty, and their hubs spin suuuuuper smooth.

IP Logged

Tinkertown
Coaster Bike

Reply #6 - 12/03/19 at 3:39pm
Print Post  
How loud do you want your bike to be? Onyx is 100% silent, which is a cool experience as you hear your tires on the trail. 

The other two options have your standard clickyclicky.

IP Logged

pokyman

Reply #7 - 12/04/19 at 7:10pm
Print Post  
de49192 wrote on 11/28/19 at 11:00am:
...experience with the Onyx Vesper...

I bought an Onyx Vesper earlier this year, and had it laced to a DT XM481 (Fanatik).  I don't have much personal experience with other high engagement hubs, but the Onyx is legit; my riding buddy has a Hydra and believes that it is legit.  I don't think you can go wrong with either.

Steve

IP Logged

NC Kingsting
Small Cog

Veni Vidi Vici

Reply #8 - 12/04/19 at 8:57pm
Print Post  
I built up a set of wheels with Onyx old style hubs last January and think they are the best I’ve ridden. While they are heavier the absolute instant engagement and complete silence far outweigh that amount of weight when close to the axle in my opinion. As a reference point I have personal experience with Chris King, Phil Wood and I9 hubs on my bikes. Finally, I would add that my buddy just laced up a pair of the new vesper version and they rode every bit as well as my older versions. Ultimately there are a lot of good hubs out there now but in my opinion I’ll be sticking with the Onyx product.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Print