Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2  Print
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) Truth (Read 4598 times)
Impaler 58
Big Ring

Truth
12/19/19 at 11:14am
Print Post  
(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

GTalk  
IP Logged

IntheBush
Big Ring

Re: Truth
Reply #1 - 12/19/19 at 12:22pm
Print Post  
Yep.

It's always been that way, but to a lesser extent..
Sadly, it's the common culture here.

It just seems more now because it has become more accessible and easier and there are just more and more regular people doing it.

IP Logged

DSO
Coaster Bike

Work Ride Tarheel Trailblazers

Reply #2 - 12/19/19 at 6:15pm
Print Post  
Impaler 58 wrote on 12/19/19 at 11:14am:

I read the article twice to see what the author was actually bitching about. Is it because his local trails are now busier? Other riders are driving trucks and vans instead of pedaling to the trailhead?

IP Logged

SirNotAppearing
IB Room
In The Loop

Reply #3 - 12/19/19 at 6:41pm
Print Post  
These people are enjoying bikes in a way that is different from me and therefore bad. While you're here buy my adventure journal, it's like regular paper except $13.

IP Logged

DrewK
Small Cog

Reply #4 - 12/19/19 at 6:46pm
Print Post  
I think all of this can be solved by one thing.

Don't be a dick.

Trails are for everybody.  Endurbros, XC race spandex dudes, cross bike riders, hikers, horseback riders, deer, squirrels, potheads, beatniks, everybody.

Just be nice.  If a guy wants to run around and beat Strava records, so what?  Either play along, or pick up a shovel and change it.

IP Logged

Impaler 58
Big Ring

Reply #5 - 12/19/19 at 7:36pm
Print Post  
I just wondered why folks come up behind you and say apsolutly nothing. Am I supposed to know they want to pass. And when I do move, they get mad because they believe that I should stop to let them by. Another thing, the last time I was at Pisgah, a group of riders asked if I was going to ride "that bike" they said I would beat myself up, or worse. Get injured or die. I felt the same way I always felt when I finished there. Which was good. Is that what beat up is supposed to be like. Even the bike shop owner, who originally sold me on the bike. Said it was for around here, that I would need an FS if I wanted to ride out there. I asked the other day what certain trails were like that I haven't ridden. Someone answered and said I wouldn't like the trails. I never asked weather I would like them or not. I've seen a lot of folks talk about riding them, and wondered what they were like. It just doesn't seem as fun as it once was. Oh well,tis is life......

GTalk  
IP Logged

Impaler 58
Big Ring

Reply #6 - 12/19/19 at 7:37pm
Print Post  
SirNotAppearing wrote on 12/19/19 at 6:41pm:
These people are enjoying bikes in a way that is different from me and therefore bad. While you're here buy my adventure journal, it's like regular paper except $13.

It says on the site that the paper is the same as waterproof maps

GTalk  
IP Logged

Impaler 58
Big Ring

Reply #7 - 12/19/19 at 7:39pm
Print Post  
DrewK wrote on 12/19/19 at 6:46pm:
I think all of this can be solved by one thing.

Don't be a dick.

Trails are for everybody.  Endurbros, XC race spandex dudes, cross bike riders, hikers, horseback riders, deer, squirrels, potheads, beatniks, everybody.

Just be nice.  If a guy wants to run around and beat Strava records, so what?  Either play along, or pick up a shovel and change it.

Don't forget turtles Wink

GTalk  
IP Logged

DrewK
Small Cog

Reply #8 - 12/19/19 at 7:46pm
Print Post  
Impaler 58 wrote on 12/19/19 at 7:36pm:
I just wondered why folks come up behind you and say apsolutly nothing. Am I supposed to know they want to pass. And when I do move, they get mad because they believe that I should stop to let them by. Another thing, the last time I was at Pisgah, a group of riders asked if I was going to ride "that bike" they said I would beat myself up, or worse. Get injured or die. I felt the same way I always felt when I finished there. Which was good. Is that what beat up is supposed to be like. Even the bike shop owner, who originally sold me on the bike. Said it was for around here, that I would need an FS if I wanted to ride out there. I asked the other day what certain trails were like that I haven't ridden. Someone answered and said I wouldn't like the trails. I never asked weather I would like them or not. I've seen a lot of folks talk about riding them, and wondered what they were like. It just doesn't seem as fun as it once was. Oh well,tis is life......

Why do you care so much what other people think?  Do what makes you happy and move on.

I've done more miles in Pisgah on a hardtail than I care to remember, both fun rides and races.  I've also done them on an "endurbrobike."  Both are fun.

Ride your bike, have fun, if somebody else gets mad, just ignore them.  Illegitimui non carborundum est!

IP Logged

drdirt55
Small Cog

Stupid should be painful

Reply #9 - 12/19/19 at 8:38pm
Print Post  
It comes off like a curmudgeon who's not happy that everyone has discovered how great it is. The growing popularity of the sport has brought a lot of new people and there are bound to be some growing pains but also more trail than we could have ever imagined. 

Hard to say don't be a dick when he comes off as one himself IMHO. Just ride your ride, enjoy yourself and dodge the turtles. To quote the great Rocky... RAMFB

to slay or not slay is your choice

Ride On

IP Logged

SirNotAppearing
IB Room
In The Loop

Reply #10 - 12/19/19 at 9:30pm
Print Post  
Impaler 58 wrote on 12/19/19 at 7:36pm:

I think all of this says more about you than every other single rider in the sport. I recently rode a 3rd hand hardtail in Pisgah, and had the exact same conversation with strangers trailside. But there was no malice in their intent, we all laughed and I rode the bike anyways. If you assume the other trail users are generally happy, positive people, you'll be pleasantly surprised. If you have an inferiority complex and assume everyone is judging you, then you'll probably find that too.

IP Logged

DrewK
Small Cog

Reply #11 - 12/19/19 at 9:37pm
Print Post  
drdirt55 wrote on 12/19/19 at 8:38pm:
It comes off like a curmudgeon who's not happy that everyone has discovered how great it is. The growing popularity of the sport has brought a lot of new people and there are bound to be some growing pains but also more trail than we could have ever imagined. 

Hard to say don't be a dick when he comes off as one himself IMHO. Just ride your ride, enjoy yourself and dodge the turtles. To quote the great Rocky... RAMFB

to slay or not slay is your choice

Word.   

Don't be a dick is kind of my philosophy for life.  Another way to say... "just be nice."

IP Logged

SurlyDave
Small Cog

Reply #12 - 12/20/19 at 3:42am
Print Post  
IntheBush wrote on 12/19/19 at 12:22pm:
Yep.

It just seems more now because it has become more accessible and easier and there are just more and more regular people doing it.

Soooo, in the before time, long, long, ago it was better because it mostly "non regular" people doing it?

While, I can relate to a lot of what the Mike C. is crying about this is the progress of mankind.  Deal with it.  Everything has changed in 20 years. 

IP Logged

SurlyDave
Small Cog

Reply #13 - 12/20/19 at 3:49am
Print Post  
IntheBush wrote on 12/19/19 at 12:22pm:
Yep.

Sadly, it's the common culture here.

And where exactly do you mean by "here" Mr. Bush?

IP Logged

Impaler 58
Big Ring

Reply #14 - 12/20/19 at 1:13pm
Print Post  
It's like everything else , mountain biking has become mainstream. Bikes are sold but no real education about bikes are offered. Now a days, if a trail is too hard, it seems like folks take upon themselves to make it easier. I think local trails shouldn't be made to be difficult as riding in the steep mountains. But all in all, I just want to ride 🚵

GTalk  
IP Logged

The Cycle Path
IB Room
In The Loop
Project Board

Treasurer '11 to '18.
Trail Chair '12-'18,
'20-'21

Reply #15 - 12/20/19 at 7:29pm
Print Post  
Impaler 58 wrote on 12/20/19 at 1:13pm:
It's like everything else , mountain biking has become mainstream. Bikes are sold but no real education about bikes are offered. Now a days, if a trail is too hard, it seems like folks take upon themselves to make it easier. I think local trails shouldn't be made to be difficult as riding in the steep mountains. But all in all, I just want to ride 🚵

I disagree. I think there should be a variety of difficulty in our trail system.  I'm still trying to find a way to make people cry on their bikes at Fisher Farm!!   Grin Grin

We carry the finest from Specialized, Yeti, Transition, and Kona.
IP Logged

IntheBush
Big Ring

Reply #16 - 12/20/19 at 11:49pm
Print Post  
SurlyDave wrote on 12/20/19 at 3:49am:

And where exactly do you mean by "here" Mr. Bush?

Just what I said.

It's a competitive society, for better or worse.
For some that means bully rules, law of the jungle.
I can remember when I-77 and S. Blvd. were peaceful roads and except for maybe a fat lip, you didn't have to worry about your kid going to school or your wife running a trail by herself.

You think the outdoors and mountain biking is immune to the overall culture we live in? And the overall direction it seems to be heading.

IP Logged

IntheBush
Big Ring

Reply #17 - 12/21/19 at 12:01am
Print Post  
SurlyDave wrote on 12/20/19 at 3:42am:

Soooo, in the before time, long, long, ago it was better because it mostly "non regular" people doing it?

While, I can relate to a lot of what the Mike C. is crying about this is the progress of mankind.  Deal with it.  Everything has changed in 20 years. 

The progress of mankind? 

Ok  Smiley

Let's just say, a long time ago there were 'less' people doing it.

You seen Everest lately? 

« Last Edit: 12/21/19 at 11:21am by IntheBush »  

IP Logged

Robert C.
Big Ring

Leaves are the ultimate
trail maintenance tool

Reply #18 - 12/21/19 at 1:11am
Print Post  
If there was truth, Dixie River would be listed on the Trails page, and the trailwork days would be posted.

IP Logged

worker-rider
In The Loop

Reply #19 - 12/21/19 at 2:00pm
Print Post  
Man just let it go. Some of us have spent many hours out on that property and won’t it to also open but you just don’t get it. No where to park and if someone is driving in while you are trying to get out you are just stuck! So what do you not understand here. No place to park yet!!!!!! I have yet to see flags for where the parking lot is going. The new property owners hold all the cards and we are at their mercy! This is truth!!!!
« Last Edit: 12/21/19 at 2:02pm by worker-rider »  

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 
Print