Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Print
Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) BYT Trails (Read 2431 times)
mtnbiker67

Work Ride Tarheel Trailblazers

BYT Trails
04/09/20 at 2:28pm
Print Post  
Lots of great work going on at BYT and the new lines are great. Sadly, some individuals take it upon themselves to destroy the unique character of the trail by removing challenging rocks or other obstacles I guess to make it easier or improve their Strava times. Please do not!  We saw evidence of this yesterday while riding the more technical loop (closest to Tyvola). 

IP Logged

santana
Little Ring

Ich bin für Sie zu schnell

Re: BYT Trails
Reply #1 - 04/09/20 at 2:59pm
Print Post  
Can you tell me exactly where this is? I am the trail coordinator for the Tech Loop. 

ciao
Santana

Do you suffur from nympholespy as I?

IP Logged

cyclingkk
Coaster Bike

Reply #2 - 04/09/20 at 3:05pm
Print Post  
According to the home page, BYT is closed. If I park somewhere else, can I ride in? It appears the parks are accepting walk-in's and Bicycles.
True?

IP Logged

santana
Little Ring

Reply #3 - 04/09/20 at 3:13pm
Print Post  
Yes you can ride in.   

ciao
Santana

IP Logged

SirNotAppearing
IB Room
In The Loop

Reply #4 - 04/09/20 at 5:12pm
Print Post  
cyclingkk wrote on 04/09/20 at 3:05pm:
According to the home page, BYT is closed. If I park somewhere else, can I ride in? It appears the parks are accepting walk-in's and Bicycles.
True?

Closed is closed. It rained last night.

IP Logged

santana
Little Ring

Reply #5 - 04/09/20 at 5:35pm
Print Post  
Yeah the trail is closed due to the rain last night and the parking lot is closed. So when the trail opens back up after a day of drying you can ride to the course since the parking lot will still be closed. 

ciao
Santana

IP Logged

mtnbiker67

Reply #6 - 04/09/20 at 8:23pm
Print Post  
Where? Assuming you start the loop at the main entrance/exit near the water treatment plant it’s about 1/2 to 2/3 through the loop. You can see 2 areas where sizable  rocks that were firmly in the ground were removed. Discovered Wednesday evening.

IP Logged

Bobadamus
Coaster Bike

Exorcise Me!

Reply #7 - 04/12/20 at 4:58pm
Print Post  
mtnbiker67 wrote on 04/09/20 at 8:23pm:
Where? Assuming you start the loop at the main entrance/exit near the water treatment plant it’s about 1/2 to 2/3 through the loop. You can see 2 areas where sizable  rocks that were firmly in the ground were removed. Discovered Wednesday evening.

Santana - In case you couldn't find it, its that real tight twisty section near the plan road.  The rocks moved were the ones that made it slightly interesting 

IP Logged

Wears my bike
IB Room
In The Loop

Reply #8 - 04/12/20 at 6:34pm
Print Post  
If I know the section, f*&^% that person. Assuming it’s the thread two rocks, left, uphill, and then a really tight right hander where your front tire goes above a rock and rear tire below it to clean it. That’s one of my favorite features which to this day I only clean 75% of the time and it’s a joyous moment the first time I cleaned it and every time sense. It takes balance, well placed wheels, power at the right time and even then you never know. Thanks for robbing others of the joy. Santana, time to make it harder.

I'm glad that this is an environment where you feel free to fail.

IP Logged

santana
Little Ring

Reply #9 - 04/13/20 at 12:43am
Print Post  
The rocks that were removed by someone were in a line I had made back when the Greenway was put in. I am not sure why someone would remove those rocks since they did not really create that much of a technical challenge. Anyway what's done is done. I will take the time in the future to create something in that spot to replace them. 

And to address wearsmybike. That section is one I have been trying to come up with a plan to preserve. It's held up pretty good so far but with increased traffic I am afraid it will start to erode much quicker. I want to keep the 75-95 percent success rate for no dabs. Heck even I mess it up sometimes.

ciao
Santana

IP Logged

alan t

Reply #10 - 04/14/20 at 1:27am
Print Post  
Can we still park over at the Marion  Diehl  center to get into BYT or is that lot closed down also  ?

IP Logged

teamdicky
Big Ring

Which way is out?

Reply #11 - 04/14/20 at 11:18am
Print Post  
Wears my bike wrote on 04/12/20 at 6:34pm:
Assuming it’s the thread two rocks, left, uphill, and then a really tight right hander where your front tire goes above a rock and rear tire below it to clean it.

Other than sweeping the dingle balls off the trail, I don't think anyone's gonna be making that section much easier without using a giant pry bar.  People are people tho... and where there's a will, there's a pry bar.

I did wonder why we closed down the natural cheater line when it was built (I got to toss some of the detritus in there to block it), just to keep people from trying to mess with the hard line.  I do what I'm told, so that was that. 

I might make it 25% of the time myself.  Fortunately, I have no pride.

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

IP Logged

wtacoma

Reply #12 - 04/14/20 at 11:52am
Print Post  
Regarding "Can we still park over at the Marion  Diehl  center to get into BYT or is that lot closed down also  ?"

It was closed Saturday when I went.

IP Logged

NC_Pyga
Coaster Bike

Reply #13 - 04/14/20 at 12:32pm
Print Post  
Any suggestions on good options to park for BYT access? I assume parking on the nearby neighboring streets would be frowned upon and eventually pi  . the neighbors off although they're public roads so not sure what they can do about it really.

BYT is my closest trail but still a 6 mile ride each way so not practical to ride there even if I had that extra time.

IP Logged

Trail Junky
Small Cog

Reply #14 - 04/14/20 at 2:18pm
Print Post  
Surely the parking lots for South Park Mall and the nearby office buildings positioned closer to Park Road are quite empty now.  These would be close enough for a ride-in.

Landfill Mining Co.
Managing the (Un)natural Resources of Tomorrow

IP Logged

NC_Pyga
Coaster Bike

Reply #15 - 04/14/20 at 5:33pm
Print Post  
Trail Junky wrote on 04/14/20 at 2:18pm:
Surely the parking lots for South Park Mall and the nearby office buildings positioned closer to Park Road are quite empty now.  These would be close enough for a ride-in.

Yeah, I thought of that. Just wasn't sure about parking on private property. There's also a church nearby that I thought about.

IP Logged

ETSX-70

Reply #16 - 04/20/20 at 2:35pm
Print Post  
Rode all of BYT yesterday.  It was in awesome shape.  Thank you to whoever cleared all those trees!!  Smiley

IP Logged

alexis039

BYT neighbor

Reply #17 - 05/30/20 at 1:41pm
Print Post  
There is a large tree down where the trail parallels Wensley & almost reaches the neighborhood Greenway entrance.  I think it crosses three trails :/

Best guess of coordinates: 35°09'11.7"N 80°51'31.4"W

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Print