Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Print
Normal Topic Garmin Edge 530 vs 830 experience with touchscreen (Read 1061 times)
Guder

Work Ride Tarheel Trailblazers

Garmin Edge 530 vs 830 experience with touchscreen
05/11/20 at 5:42pm
Print Post  
Hello all, I'm looking at a Garmin Edge for more accurate tracking data and to explore trails (I have no sense of direction and sometimes get lost between the kitchen and bathroom).

So between the Edge 530 which has all the tracking features and accuracy I want, and the Edge 830 which allows map actions without a smartphone...I'm checking to see if anyone can comment on the touch screen vs just using the smartphone interface.

Thanks!

IP Logged

JT3
Coaster Bike

Re: Garmin Edge 530 vs 830 experience with touchscreen
Reply #1 - 05/11/20 at 6:50pm
Print Post  
I don't have either of those, but purchased the Garmin Edge 520 +.   I bought for similar reasons, to track my data better (heart rate mostly) and the occasional nav needs in places like Dupont.  Like the 530's, mine has the buttons on the side.  I have no issues with these.  Once you settle on the data you want to see on your screen and start your ride, you really don't need to touch the screen very often. Unless you really get a great price, I don't see the need for the touchscreen version.   

I really liked being able to use Trailforks and set a route in Dupont and follow it without having to pull out a map or my phone. It was really easy to navigate with.    

I hope this helps some!

peddle faster, I heard banjo music!

IP Logged

Guder

Reply #2 - 05/12/20 at 5:34pm
Print Post  
Thanks for the feedback, I think I'll go toward the 530.

IP Logged

DrewK
Small Cog

Reply #3 - 05/13/20 at 10:44pm
Print Post  
Sounds like you may have your heart set on a 530... but I would second the recommendation for a 520 or a 520+.  I had a 510 (touchscreen) and the 520 (no touchscreen) is significantly easier to use.  Once you get it set up, all you use it for is start/stop/save - literally three buttons.  I use an older 520, does all my logging.  There are massively better apps on phones for navigation.  For Pisgah/Dupont, use Avenza with Pisgah Map Co maps.  For everywhere else, Trailforks works pretty well.  I know a few people that have burner phones that only run a GPS and Trailforks.  Works so much better on iOS or Android.  Garmin's OS is glitchy at best, and a pain at worst.
« Last Edit: 05/13/20 at 10:46pm by DrewK »  

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Print