Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Print
Normal Topic Rock Shox Reba Full Rebuild Needed (Read 1298 times)
campbesl

Work Ride Tarheel Trailblazers

Rock Shox Reba Full Rebuild Needed
06/16/20 at 3:48pm
Print Post  
I bought my bike used without documentation; it looks to be about five years old so I figure that it's [past] time for a rebuild of the Reba RL 27.5" Solo Air fork.  Can somebody make a recommendation for a good bike mechanic or a local shop to rebuild this puppy?  Ideally, I would like to look over their shoulder and learn more about the internals so that I can do it myself in the future but that's not a hard requirement.

Thanks!

Scott

IP Logged

alan t

Re: Rock Shox Reba Full Rebuild Needed
Reply #1 - 06/16/20 at 7:34pm
Print Post  
Go see Charles at excite bikes in Locust. He should be able to help you out

IP Logged

mountainbiker90
Small Cog

Is it 5 yet??

Reply #2 - 06/17/20 at 3:31am
Print Post  
Really appreciate the recommendation Alan. That is something we can do for sure, however, I don't have time to go over the fork and internals during the rebuild. We have been crazy busy!!   

To the O.P., SRAM has full tech docs and service manuals on their website. They are the same ones we would use.  Navigation of their site can be challenging but the service manual can be found there. I will say that the tools required to do the job properly wouldn't be worth it for most folks.

Yeah, to the best of my knowledge:)

IP Logged

Jedduh02

Reply #3 - 06/17/20 at 6:08pm
Print Post  
Take it to a shop and let them handle it.  Even if they are busy the wait is worth a pro doing the job correctly  top to bottom.  Looking over a mechanics shoulder will also not help said mechanic.

Youtube + Sram also has all documentation and details online to do a refresh. However i now find all the details ( like the right oils and some tools) everything in the correct quantities and assembling the correct parts pack are more annoying than just letting a shop do it.

Bike shops all over are very busy ( good for them ) drop it off and wait / Learn for yourself or wait till less busy time (winter).

The Cyclepath - Cornelius has been my go to for suspension refreshing needs.

Goodluck

IP Logged

campbesl

Reply #4 - 06/18/20 at 2:50pm
Print Post  
Thanks for the great responses.  I've received PMs and had phone calls with recommended shops and mechanics.

Based on input received I found the correct location on the SRAM website to run the serial number of my fork.  From that I was able to identify the correct rebuild kit and purchased it from Amazon.  I was also able to download the spec sheets and the full technical manual including detailed directions with photos of how to perform the rebuild.  The only tool that I lack is for correctly installing the oil seals and dust wiper seals and I found that on Amazon for $17.

In addition, an awesome member with 20 years of professional bike mechanic experience has offered to host me in his shop and walk me through the rebuild.

WOW, this is an awesome community!

Cheers.

Scott

IP Logged

Advocat
In The Loop
Project Board

Reply #5 - 06/19/20 at 5:45pm
Print Post  
Let us know how the re-build turns out Scott.

TRAILS........................................CONNECT........................................PEOPLE

IP Logged

Oskie
In The Loop

Reply #6 - 06/19/20 at 7:07pm
Print Post  
If you want to really learn to do it yourself, there's a woman who runs a bike mechanic school in Asheville, Appalachian Bike Institute.  She offers a variety of classes including shock service and custom classes. You could take your shock and do the service on it in the class.  

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

I took her wheel building class and it was a lot better than trying to learn from YouTube.

IP Logged

hudsontp
Big Ring

Reply #7 - 06/20/20 at 12:43am
Print Post  
Oskie wrote on 06/19/20 at 7:07pm:
If you want to really learn to do it yourself, there's a woman who runs a bike mechanic school in Asheville, Appalachian Bike Institute.  She offers a variety of classes including shock service and custom classes. You could take your shock and do the service on it in the class.  

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

I took her wheel building class and it was a lot better than trying to learn from YouTube.

+1 for ABI - i took their Fox Fork Master class and it was fantastic!

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Print