Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Print
Normal Topic Night riding/running (Read 1242 times)
pathb

Work Ride Tarheel Trailblazers

Night riding/running
09/20/20 at 2:05pm
Print Post  
Hey all,

I'm beginning to research a good set of lets for night riding.  I've also started running more in the early morning this past year.  As we move towards summer's end and daylight savings time, thought i'd ask if anyone has any experience with one set of lights that would be compatible with both sports.  Something that would mount on helmet to supplement handlebar lights would be great for MTB, and a headlight would be great for running.  If you have any recommendations, I'd love to hear them. 

Thanks!

IP Logged

Bonsai Nut
Coaster Bike

Re: Night riding/running
Reply #1 - 09/20/20 at 4:56pm
Print Post  
Depending on the type of riding you do, if you are planning anything technical you really want two lights - one for your helmet and one for your bars.  The bars light can cover the trail directly in front of your bike, and the helmet light will cover where you are looking.  If you have to choose one, prioritize the helmet light over the bars light.  I am a big fan of the Cateye lights - built like tanks in a nice rechargeable package.  My main helmet light is a Cateye 1600 (that they no longer sell) but the Cateye 1700 is more or less the same thing just a little newer/brighter/better.

However... this might sound weird but about 50% of my night rides in the mountains I would do without lights at all.  If you have a bright moon, it is surprising how well you can see once your eyes adjust - so long as you aren't under heavy tree cover.

As far as running goes, I have never run trails at night, though I run them during the day often enough.  Not sure how a bike light would work for running... unless you ran with a helmet on Smiley
« Last Edit: 09/20/20 at 4:58pm by Bonsai Nut »  

“...there does seem to be a correlation between how hard people work for something and how much respect they have for it.” - Kioti
IP Logged

pathb

Reply #2 - 09/23/20 at 8:27am
Print Post  
Thanks Bonsai Nut, that is all helpful info.  Indeed I am planning to supplement a handlebar-mounted light with something on the helmet.   

The closest product I've found to what I am imagining is the light made by Petzl linked below.  Anyone have any experience?  They claim it works not only on bare head, but also with their brand of climbing helmets.  Those seem to have a significantly slimmer profile than most bike/MTB helmets, so I wonder if there is capacity in the headband for something so large.  Anyone have experience with this light or similar?   

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

IP Logged

SurlyDave
Small Cog

Reply #3 - 09/23/20 at 7:48pm
Print Post  
I've done a good bit of running in my day and I just think these are two different needs that you are trying to do an all in one for.  I'd think that Petzel while very nice and at 500 Lumens is plenty for running but isn't going to be enough to be any fun on a MTB if your going to ride solo.   I've done group rides with less Lumens or even a broken light and gotten by but the more light you have the more fun you have.  Whereas with running you are in more control of your mobility and have a top speed of maybe 8 mph  or probably less and only need to see well for the next few steps.

The wireless lights for MTB are nice but you can get a ton of light from battery pack style china lights on amazon and ebay and keep your $100 budget-just don't believe the claimed lumen output.

IP Logged

DrewK
Small Cog

Reply #4 - 09/26/20 at 9:00am
Print Post  
I have no experience with running, but a lot of experience riding MTB at night.  Currently I run a Gloworm XS on bars, and X2 on helmet.  They're super duper.  The new Outbound lights are supposed to be awesome too - I have seen them, but have not used them.   

The Gloworms are pricey, but worth it.  Get the natural white emitters from Action LED.

choice 1:  (You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

choice 2:  (You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)
« Last Edit: 09/26/20 at 9:02am by DrewK »  

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Print