Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2  Print
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) passing etiquite (Read 6744 times)
DeVinci
Coaster Bike

Old as time and still
riding

passing etiquite
10/27/20 at 1:26pm
Print Post  
so..   I've had a lotta the fast guys roll up on me in total silence on the trail and be on my wheel for a bit before I realize they're there.   Once I realize it I get outta the way as soon as I can so they can keep riding
When I roll up on someone I call out "right behind you" or some such so they know I'm there (sometimes the newbies have no clue what to do and just keep on keeping on until I politely ask them to let me pass  Smiley  ) but anybody who rides pretty much pulls to the side soon as they can.

What do folks think the right way to do this is?  I mean if I don't know you're there I can't let you pass - but I don't wanna be the jerk calling out either and putting a bell on a mountain bike really doesn't work since they constantly chime!

Life is like riding a bicycle.  To keep your balance, you must keep moving.
A. Einstein 1879-1955

IP Logged

P-Schwartz

Work Ride Tarheel Trailblazers

Re: passing etiquite
Reply #1 - 10/27/20 at 1:47pm
Print Post  
I use the "On your left" when coming up on someone slower and usually just try to keep my ears open as much as possible for people coming up behind me when I'm going slow, which is usually the case lol.

IP Logged

Fud

Reply #2 - 10/27/20 at 3:40pm
Print Post  
Get some I9 hubs and they will hear you coming a mile away.😂😂

IP Logged

John W

Reply #3 - 10/27/20 at 5:32pm
Print Post  
I'm super paranoid about people coming up behind me so I feel like I'm always looking for and expecting someone to. When it does happen, I try to slide off to the side before they even have a chance to say anything

IP Logged

Robert C.
Big Ring

Leaves are the ultimate
trail maintenance tool

Reply #4 - 10/27/20 at 7:23pm
Print Post  
Three simple words

CLEAR THE TRAIL!

Or, my personal favorite from a Stravatard stuck behind my slow ass @ LNSP.  "You're killing my lap time"

The above actual yet sad examples aside, if I want around someone I'll call out "Pass when you get a chance?". If someone rolls up on me and asks to go around, I get out of their way when it's safe to do so.  

If I'm moving at a good pace and someone is sitting on my wheel grunting and isn't asking to go around, I'm not pulling over.  If they want around badly enough they'll force pass or ask. 
« Last Edit: 10/27/20 at 7:24pm by Robert C. »  

IP Logged

IntheBush
Big Ring

Reply #5 - 10/27/20 at 9:19pm
Print Post  
Yep, letting the guy in front know your there is always a great idea..

Make way for the old guy always works for me.

But I have seen cases where the overtaken overreact in a poor passing area as well. 
I don't mind trailing them a little until there's a good place to pass.
But again, generally speaking I like to know they are there (and I usually do), and I usually let them know I'm there as well.

So, I think the best way to handle this is no obligation to let 'em you know you're trailing them. But give 'em plenty of warning if you want to pass. 

Never had anybody cut me off trying a no warning pass, knock on wood.
« Last Edit: 10/27/20 at 9:26pm by IntheBush »  

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

IP Logged

JT3
Coaster Bike

Reply #6 - 10/28/20 at 7:37am
Print Post  
I bought a small trail bell recently.  If I notice a slow rider ahead, I’ll give it a little ding before I get to them.   If when I get there they are still being stubborn, a simple 
“mind if I pass” usually works.

peddle faster, I heard banjo music!

IP Logged

sager
Big Ring

Waiting for my next ride!

Reply #7 - 10/29/20 at 10:27am
Print Post  
If a faster rider comes up behind you and doesn't immediately ask you to pass, relax!  It probably means they don't feel the need to urgently pass you.  They may be just out having fun, not trying to get a KOM or they be assessing the terrain and recognizing that passing at this point is no good.   In those cases, calling out, might cause you to slow down or move over at that moment, even if it's not either necessary or desired.  In this case, they are typically content to slow down and pace you until either you hear them or it's a better opportunity for a safe pass.

Anyone looking to win a race will call out and try to get by you as fast as they can.

IP Logged

Impaler 58
Big Ring

Reply #8 - 10/31/20 at 8:04am
Print Post  
P-Schwartz wrote on 10/27/20 at 1:47pm:
I use the "On your left" when coming up on someone slower and usually just try to keep my ears open as much as possible for people coming up behind me when I'm going slow, which is usually the case lol.

On your left is a road term ment for passing cyclist on the road as to not to push the passed rider into traffic. Seeing as most trails are one way, if you are an experienced rider. You should be able to pass wherever nessesary. Just say "passing" and pass where you see the opening. A lot of newer riders, will move to the left when you mention on your left.

GTalk  
IP Logged

Impaler 58
Big Ring

Reply #9 - 10/31/20 at 8:12am
Print Post  
sager wrote on 10/29/20 at 10:27am:
If a faster rider comes up behind you and doesn't immediately ask you to pass, relax!  It probably means they don't feel the need to urgently pass you.  They may be just out having fun, not trying to get a KOM or they be assessing the terrain and recognizing that passing at this point is no good.   In those cases, calling out, might cause you to slow down or move over at that moment, even if it's not either necessary or desired.  In this case, they are typically content to slow down and pace you until either you hear them or it's a better opportunity for a safe pass.

Anyone looking to win a race will call out and try to get by you as fast as they can.

I like the folks who grunt and groan, and sigh when their behind you. What does it mean. I've waited in the parking lot for groups who look like their faster to go ahead, so I won't have to move aside by multi riders. But I have found that adjusting this and pumping that. Is the big attraction for these groups of riders, and it could take up to an hour before they hit the trail Cheesy

GTalk  
IP Logged

Yellowduck
Big Ring

Reply #10 - 10/31/20 at 9:38am
Print Post  
Impaler 58 wrote on 10/31/20 at 8:04am:

On your left is a road term ment for passing cyclist on the road as to not to push the passed rider into traffic. Seeing as most trails are one way, if you are an experienced rider. You should be able to pass wherever nessesary. Just say "passing" and pass where you see the opening. A lot of newer riders, will move to the left when you mention on your left.

Left is my preferred side to pass on the mountain bike but I will call either side.  I have never called a side on the road bike but I only did one road bike race in my like and it was the double shot half mountain bike half road bike race and by the time we got to the road we were all spread out.

"Riding skinny is too easy"
-MB
IP Logged

MTBman1127
Small Cog

Work Ride Drink Beer

Reply #11 - 11/01/20 at 9:30pm
Print Post  
sager wrote on 10/29/20 at 10:27am:

This 100% I catch people and sometimes I use it as an excuse to catch my breath, or I don't want to spook you in the terrain your in. I try to be considerate of your ride as much as some people try to get out of the way ASAP. I hate when I say "Hows it going" behind someone and they almost crash into a tree trying to get out of the way. Make's me feel like a dick when I was trying to be nice. 

Just remember 99% of people that catch you don't care that much. and the ones that do suck. And please don't almost crash to let me by.

Triangle Pest Control - 704.698.5357 - Low Trailblazer Rates

IP Logged

msedly
Small Cog

Reply #12 - 11/01/20 at 10:26pm
Print Post  
MTBman1127 wrote on 11/01/20 at 9:30pm:

This 100% I catch people and sometimes I use it as an excuse to catch my breath, or I don't want to spook you in the terrain your in. I try to be considerate of your ride as much as some people try to get out of the way ASAP. I hate when I say "Hows it going" behind someone and they almost crash into a tree trying to get out of the way. Make's me feel like a dick when I was trying to be nice. 

Just remember 99% of people that catch you don't care that much. and the ones that do suck. And please don't almost crash to let me by.

Couldn't agree more.  I have loud hubs (Hope and I9) which helps me from sneaking up on anyone.  I usually cost a time or two as I'm coming up behind someone so that they can hear me coming.  If it's a somewhat technical section I'll try to be quiet so I don't spook someone if they seem like they're a beginner.

Some days I push harder than others, but generally speaking I'm not out there for KOM's.

IP Logged

Impaler 58
Big Ring

Reply #13 - 11/02/20 at 7:33am
Print Post  
Yellowduck wrote on 10/31/20 at 9:38am:

Left is my preferred side to pass on the mountain bike but I will call either side.  I have never called a side on the road bike but I only did one road bike race in my like and it was the double shot half mountain bike half road bike race and by the time we got to the road we were all spread out.

Never really did a road bike race. But in group rides, it's preferred to pass on your left. If you try to pass on the right, you risk moving the over taken rider into the middle of the road.  Passing only on your left on the trail, seems like your hogging the trail. What if the left side that I'm riding on is the best line. Should I give that up because you just suggest it?

GTalk  
IP Logged

IntheBush
Big Ring

Reply #14 - 11/02/20 at 7:36pm
Print Post  
Keep right except to pass..

In my experience, clearly passing on the left is preferred in 99% of cases.
The natural tendency of experienced trail users when being passed is to keep right.
The only trail users I see moving left when being passed are the inexperienced.

If you're not in control of your ride, and you can't move to the right, your bad.
Similar to paying chicken with opposing direction riders especially in limited visibility areas, high speed passes in rough terrain just aren't smart or that common.

IP Logged

MTBman1127
Small Cog

Work Ride Drink Beer

Reply #15 - 11/03/20 at 7:44am
Print Post  
IntheBush wrote on 11/02/20 at 7:36pm:

The natural tendency of experienced trail users when being passed is to keep right.

If you're not in control of your ride, and you can't move to the right, your bad.
Similar to paying chicken with opposing direction riders especially in limited visibility areas, high speed passes in rough terrain just aren't smart or that common.

I've been riding for a while and have never heard this for mountain bike. I generally let the other rider stay on the trail, keep the main line and pass wherever its clear left or right just off trail. It's a trail in the woods the right side isn't always viable and just as I may want to get by lots of people don't want some stranger sitting on their wheel waiting for the perfect on your left spot. 

Just how I've looked at it, maybe I am wrong.
« Last Edit: 11/03/20 at 7:45am by MTBman1127 »  

Triangle Pest Control - 704.698.5357 - Low Trailblazer Rates

IP Logged

Yellowduck
Big Ring

Reply #16 - 11/03/20 at 8:22am
Print Post  
Impaler 58 wrote on 11/02/20 at 7:33am:

Never really did a road bike race. But in group rides, it's preferred to pass on your left. If you try to pass on the right, you risk moving the over taken rider into the middle of the road.  Passing only on your left on the trail, seems like your hogging the trail. What if the left side that I'm riding on is the best line. Should I give that up because you just suggest it?

Two different rules of thought here.  Casual riding and racing.  When racing, it is upon the rider from behind to pass safely either on the right or the left.  Find a place, call it, and try to take it.  Most of the time you get it, sometimes I'd have to back off and try again.   

On a normal casual ride when I come up on a slower rider, I would normally let them know I'm back there and 9 times out of 10 they will pull over and let me by without a call.  I do the same when a faster rider comes up behind me.  That is the curious thing to do.  If I get caught behind someone who wont let me by I usually just ask if I can get by next chance they get instead of calling passes and forcing my way through.

"Riding skinny is too easy"
-MB
IP Logged

Robert C.
Big Ring

Leaves are the ultimate
trail maintenance tool

Reply #17 - 11/03/20 at 9:30am
Print Post  
Yellowduck wrote on 11/03/20 at 8:22am:
  If I get caught behind someone who wont let me by I usually just ask if I can get by next chance they get instead of calling passes and forcing my way through. 

Big fan of that technique.

IP Logged

Impaler 58
Big Ring

Reply #18 - 11/03/20 at 12:59pm
Print Post  
IntheBush wrote on 11/02/20 at 7:36pm:

So your saying, even on a one way trail, I should always ride to the right. Doesn't seem correct on a narrow single track. Seems like you should be utilizing the whole trail.

GTalk  
IP Logged

TarheelRider

Reply #19 - 11/03/20 at 5:15pm
Print Post  
Curious what everyone's preferred technique is for passing a runner going the same direction with earbuds and music so loud he can't hear you shouting?  I've given a few guys heart attacks forcing my way around them because they didn't know I was there despite initial gentle reminders, then finally shouting.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 
Print