Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2]  Print
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) passing etiquite (Read 6743 times)
MTBman1127
Small Cog

Work Ride Drink Beer

Re: passing etiquite
Reply #20 - 11/03/20 at 7:38pm
Print Post  
TarheelRider wrote on 11/03/20 at 5:15pm:
Curious what everyone's preferred technique is for passing a runner going the same direction with earbuds and music so loud he can't hear you shouting?  I've given a few guys heart attacks forcing my way around them because they didn't know I was there despite initial gentle reminders, then finally shouting.

I ask nice twice, I yell twice after that if I scare you too bad.

Triangle Pest Control - 704.698.5357 - Low Trailblazer Rates
(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

IP Logged

IntheBush
Big Ring

Reply #21 - 11/03/20 at 9:44pm
Print Post  
Impaler 58 wrote on 11/03/20 at 12:59pm:

So your saying, even on a one way trail, I should always ride to the right. Doesn't seem correct on a narrow single track. Seems like you should be utilizing the whole trail.

Well, not necessarily.
And I also utilize the whole trail..
But that's generally what I do when somebody wants to pass. 
I move to the right, they pass on the left. 

That's why it's nice to know they are back there before they try to pass. So there are no 'misunderstandings'.

And if I'm passing somebody, I almost always do it on the left.
And let 'em know with adequate time that I'm passing.
The only exception would be if they are inexperienced and move to the left, but this almost never happens with bikers.

As somebody mentioned before, some lesser experienced guys/gals will move right and stop. This is somewhat annoying, and unnecessary. I simply don't pass in areas where there isn't enough room to get around 'em. And I'm just not in that much of a hurry..
And if they are trailing me, they'll know when it's time to pass, because I'll move right, slow a little and sometimes tell them. Experienced riders don't need to be told.

IP Logged

msedly
Small Cog

Work Ride Tarheel Trailblazers

Reply #22 - 11/03/20 at 9:59pm
Print Post  
Curious what everyone's preferred technique is for passing a runner going the same direction with earbuds and music so loud he can't hear you shouting?  I've given a few guys heart attacks forcing my way around them because they didn't know I was there despite initial gentle reminders, then finally shouting.

Same here with runners and bikes.  Sometimes I don't notice they have headphones in so I just end up talking to myself for a little while.  I'll yell a couple times in hopes they can hear me, but I'll just make my way by wherever I can after that.

I've actually had a biker get pretty mad at me for doing this.  I was behind him for a while before I noticed he had headphones.  I waited for a good place to pass (we were on weigh station at WWC which is pretty tight) and ended up getting cussed at.  We had a trailside chat and I don't think he wants to be my friend now...   Undecided

IP Logged

Yellowduck
Big Ring

Reply #23 - 11/04/20 at 9:15am
Print Post  

What else can you do?  Thats why runners are supposed to go the opposite way.

"Riding skinny is too easy"
-MB
IP Logged

traildog
Big Ring

warning!  SS carrier

Reply #24 - 11/04/20 at 12:08pm
Print Post  
Rode up behind a rider at WWC with earbuds in.  Called out, yelled several times while almost rubbing his rear tire with no response.  Finally, nailed his rear tire with my front and got his attention.  He wasn't happy but neither was I.  I just didn't understand that it was his day to have the trails to himself

IP Logged

IntheBush
Big Ring

Reply #25 - 11/04/20 at 8:56pm
Print Post  
Anybody riding with two ear buds in is obviously inexperienced or is lacking some sense  Cheesy..

I don't use 'em while riding, but let me remind those who don't know the drill..

One earbud while on the trail if you must, or nothing at all. It's just common sense.

IP Logged

msedly
Small Cog

Reply #26 - 11/05/20 at 4:08pm
Print Post  
IntheBush wrote on 11/04/20 at 8:56pm:
Anybody riding with two ear buds in is obviously inexperienced or is lacking some sense  Cheesy..

I don't use 'em while riding, but let me remind those who don't know the drill..

One earbud while on the trail if you must, or nothing at all. It's just common sense.

"It's just common sense"   Grin  I wish that were true...

Would be nice if the "offenders" were members here so they could chime in, but that's likely not the case.  Most THTB's know how to act on the trail.  WWC is tough given the amount of bikers it sees on a daily/weekly basis.

IP Logged

IntheBush
Big Ring

Reply #27 - 11/05/20 at 9:17pm
Print Post  
Today I was out at Springs, and some jogger was running up the tunnel trail with two ear buds in.. I was closing on him at a good clip from behind.
Even though I called out a couple of times, it was clear he had no clue and couldn't hear squat.
Until I was about 3 feet off his rear end..
Then I yelled.. "HEY!"

He about jumped out of his running shorts and started apologizing profusely..  Grin
Suddenly a feeling of immense satisfaction overwhelmed me.

On the way by I suggested a single earbud may be a better idea.  Smiley

IP Logged

MTBman1127
Small Cog

Work Ride Drink Beer

Reply #28 - 11/05/20 at 9:32pm
Print Post  
People need to switch from earbuds to aftershockz.

Triangle Pest Control - 704.698.5357 - Low Trailblazer Rates

IP Logged

Bonsai Nut
Coaster Bike

Reply #29 - 11/06/20 at 5:59pm
Print Post  
Treat others the way you would like to be treated.

That about sums it up for me - passing or being passed.  I can't control other peoples' attitudes.  I try to be patient and courteous, and I try to ride trails that are remote or less traveled, or I ride during less popular times.

That said - I will never understand the whole earbuds thing.  I love my music - but not when I'm running or riding.  I can't imagine being that oblivious when your very life may depend on knowing what is going on around you.
« Last Edit: 11/06/20 at 6:01pm by Bonsai Nut »  

“...there does seem to be a correlation between how hard people work for something and how much respect they have for it.” - Kioti
IP Logged

Korey D

Reply #30 - 02/02/21 at 4:34pm
Print Post  

Depending on where you’re riding the right side of the trail can be the side I’m avoiding. On a 29er hardtail that seems to roll over everything but going back to a full-suspension 27.5” sooner than later, and line choice is going to matter even more than it already does. That being said, I’m currently out of shape and sloooow so if I notice someone behind me I’ll pull to the side (typically the right from road riding days) or just off the trail for a break as my conditioning is horrible right now.

IP Logged

filthyraygun

Reply #31 - 02/22/21 at 12:48pm
Print Post  
If anyone is looking for a relatively cheap, bell that doesn't look goofy, and effectively alerts someone you're approaching to your presence, this has served me well. It only tends to "self-activate" in the roughest rock gardens or if I overshoot a landing and successfully "ring my bell". It even comes in in stealthy all black! More than once, it was mistaken for a dropper lost lever (before I installed an actual dropper post). Just make sure you keep it far enough away from your actual dropper lever so you don't do any unintended drooping.

I'm on the clyde end of the spectrum and if I've caught you on the trail, you're probably a newb or I'm out of breath and not looking to looking to expend anymore energy than I have to lol. Most of the time, I'll just keep my distance and take the opportunity catch my breath but on the rare occasion that I want to pass, this thing saves me some energy. I'll still say hello, though, just to let you know I'm not a trying to be a dick! Cool

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 
Print