Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Print
Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) If Springs can open with slopville conditions (Read 2135 times)
Robert C.
Big Ring

Leaves are the ultimate
trail maintenance tool

If Springs can open with slopville conditions
02/17/21 at 10:39pm
Print Post  
While not as bad as Sherman when it turns to total peanut butter, Springs was downright crappy in multiple spots, and was much worse vs. a week ago. It's also important to call out the damage to Prairie from the winter short track races as a contributor to current conditions.   

Going back only a few months ago, Springs was fairly conservative, keeping the trail closed for multiple days after a day's worth of rain.   

Interesting to see them open only two days after five straight days of rain.   

Happy they did.   Cool

IP Logged

jkintn

Work Ride Tarheel Trailblazers

Re: If Springs can open with slopville conditions
Reply #1 - 02/18/21 at 9:10am
Print Post  
Due to weather, short track hasn't used prairie (with the exception of a short ~30-yd connector) since 1/31. The last two weeks, short track has been a wet gravel ride with the exception of that short connector. I rode Prairie last Tuesday and there didn't seem to be any damage from short track. I think ASG is keeping it confined to the gravel roads to prevent much damage. 

I agree they seem to be opening the trails more quickly than they used to. I just hope they keep it limited to members Friday-Sunday for a while.

IP Logged

Robert C.
Big Ring

Leaves are the ultimate
trail maintenance tool

Reply #2 - 02/18/21 at 10:11am
Print Post  
jkintn wrote on 02/18/21 at 9:10am:
I rode Prairie last Tuesday and there didn't seem to be any damage from short track.

Interesting.  Prairie was in much worse condition last night vs. a week ago when it had a couple of bad spots.    Several of the "passing zones" had widened, and there were significantly more rutted out sections.

Major props to Springs for the dam work.  Somehow they are managing to keep the runoff from the lake draining under the trail vs. it turning to a total swamp.
« Last Edit: 02/18/21 at 10:12am by Robert C. »  

IP Logged

jkintn

Work Ride Tarheel Trailblazers

Reply #3 - 02/18/21 at 12:06pm
Print Post  
Robert C. wrote on 02/18/21 at 10:11am:

Interesting.  Prairie was in much worse condition last night vs. a week ago when it had a couple of bad spots.    Several of the "passing zones" had widened, and there were significantly more rutted out sections.

Major props to Springs for the dam work.  Somehow they are managing to keep the runoff from the lake draining under the trail vs. it turning to a total swamp.

Not doubting you about conditions but not sure it is attributed to short track. They are opening it sooner than they used to. My guess is people are riding around wet spots thus widening areas. I can assure you short track didn't race on prairie last week or the week before. It is possible that some racers are warming up on prairie or riding it outside of the race. Given conditions the past two Sundays, I doubt many are riding miles outside of their races and warmup time. Will be interesting to see what course is used this Sunday - lots of rain today/early tomorrow then some time to dry before Sunday AM.

IP Logged

JoeT
Small Cog

Reply #4 - 02/18/21 at 6:35pm
Print Post  
I rode the gravel and prairie parts yesterday about 1pm. Didn’t really see any kind of damage or extra erosion to the trail. Was riding on a set of mostly slick gravel tires(NOT GARVEL, please people) and slid sideways in the first mud hole I encountered and hit a tree. Just adds to the flavor.

IP Logged

Robert C.
Big Ring

Leaves are the ultimate
trail maintenance tool

Reply #5 - 02/19/21 at 8:01am
Print Post  
jkintn wrote on 02/18/21 at 12:06pm:

Not doubting you about conditions but not sure it is attributed to short track. They are opening it sooner than they used to. My guess is people are riding around wet spots thus widening areas. I can assure you short track didn't race on prairie last week or the week before.

I trust you.  Ridership at Springs is heavy and seems to be increasing.  Not uncommon to come across big groups, including youth cycling clubs - very cool.

Just glad their open, when other trails chose not to be.

IP Logged

teamdicky
Big Ring

Which way is out?

Reply #6 - 02/19/21 at 10:49am
Print Post  
A.B.R.F.E.

*Always Blame Racers For Everything

That's the short version of my argument.

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

IP Logged

Robert C.
Big Ring

Leaves are the ultimate
trail maintenance tool

Reply #7 - 02/20/21 at 8:35pm
Print Post  
teamdicky wrote on 02/19/21 at 10:49am:
A.B.R.F.E.

*Always Blame Racers For Everything

That's the short version of my argument.

Yep, Upper Black was great till you trashed it at PMBAR and ruined it for the rest of us.  Wink

IP Logged

Robert C.
Big Ring

Leaves are the ultimate
trail maintenance tool

Reply #8 - 02/23/21 at 10:23am
Print Post  
BTW Springs is showing open on their website as of today (2/23).  65 and sunny.....

IP Logged

Vasco
Global Moderator
In The Loop
Project Board

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Reply #9 - 03/08/21 at 9:48am
Print Post  
I rode Springs after the last race of the day on the first race day. What was "trashed" looked the same way it did the week before, not trashed. The areas that were "trashed" had issues with the ground weeping water and had been trashed for weeks. Only drier weather will fix that. 
Fast track to Sunday the 7th. The Prairie Trail was as perfect as it was 6 weeks ago less the dried up weepers. The trail work days that were held durning and after the race series help keep the Prairie Trail draining. The racer volunteers did an incredible job of opening up the over grown drains plus repacked and shaped the weepers that have sense dried up. They also repaired and covered up a few cut throughs/passing zones that developed. You would never know the trails were "trashed", which they were not.
Doug S.

Spelling and grammatical errors are beyond my control it's the way I wired.

IP Logged

sager
Big Ring

Waiting for my next ride!

Reply #10 - 03/08/21 at 10:52am
Print Post  
Springs was primo yesterday.  No real damage that I could see.

IP Logged

JoeT
Small Cog

Reply #11 - 03/08/21 at 10:55am
Print Post  
I rode it last Thursday and many, many grade dips have clogged drains. Bike had a lot of mud on it when finished.   
Can I go there and walk with a flat blade shovel and clear drains or is that against the rules now?

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Print