Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2]  Print
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) Infrequent Trail Status Updates (Read 4799 times)
Korey D

Re: Infrequent Trail Status Updates
Reply #20 - 03/05/21 at 12:02pm
Print Post  
At least for now, I work 5 minutes from Mazeppa Park in Mooresville. Would be more than happy to help check out the trails once in a while. I go there sometimes during lunch to ride in the last few months, or just walk around to get away from work during lunch. I'm cool with walking trails when I do to check them out instead of walking the boring path lol.

IP Logged

TrillWill
IB Room
In The Loop
Project Board

THTB Board member 16'-23'
LKN TC

Reply #21 - 03/05/21 at 12:17pm
Print Post  
Robert C. wrote on 03/04/21 at 10:55pm:

It's been spectacular the last few days.  There is no reason for any trail not off line due to construction / upgrades to be have a closed status 

Replying to this for the folks passing by viewing the thread...  Mr. C already knows it all  Roll Eyes

After multiple months of constant rain and freeze thaw it will absolutely take a couple (or more) sunny warmish days to get some trails back to a hard surface that is able to handle traffic without lots of spots getting rutted up.  There are all sorts of seeps working there way out of the hillsides that are way more charged up than usual after the wet winter.

Once it finally gets hot around here trails will be able to (in general) harden up much more quickly.  To expect the first couple 60* days of the year to instantly harden everything is unrealistic.  Opening times should start coming down now that it feels like we're coming out of the coldest part of winter and will continue to get shorter as summer approaches and the trails get baked.

Ride boards, ride bikes, ride life #shredeverything

IP Logged

TrillWill
IB Room
In The Loop
Project Board

LKN TC

Reply #22 - 03/05/21 at 12:19pm
Print Post  
Korey D wrote on 03/05/21 at 12:02pm:
At least for now, I work 5 minutes from Mazeppa Park in Mooresville. Would be more than happy to help check out the trails once in a while. I go there sometimes during lunch to ride in the last few months, or just walk around to get away from work during lunch. I'm cool with walking trails when I do to check them out instead of walking the boring path lol.

Hey, I've been doing a lot of the same at Mazeppa this winter.  I'm not the TC but I know the TC has folks checking in with him daily that are walking the trails to see when the green light can switch on.  He is on the forum as Jammerbox I believe.

-Will

IP Logged

TrillWill
IB Room
In The Loop
Project Board

LKN TC

Reply #23 - 03/05/21 at 12:33pm
Print Post  
Robert C. wrote on 03/04/21 at 10:55pm:

No, I actually rode BYT today (closed status still) and it was a desert compared to the muddy &^&^ show that was PH last week, or Springs the last several when they were listed as open.  Cool to see the Marion D side getting some love.  Overall, it was a great time out and the bike was way cleaner compared to the last few rides on "open" trails.

Well I already engaged too much so I'll drop a knowledge bomb on this one too, lol.  Each trail system in the area obviously has different things going on which is why some may be opened at different trail conditions.   

As an example...
There may be a section that seems like a poo bog when a trail is listed as open but that might be ok for that particular trail.  If a TC has a plan to fix the spot soon then why keep the a trail (lets say Purser) closed if the bad section is going to get fixed in the next couple months?

IP Logged

SirNotAppearing
IB Room
In The Loop

Work Ride Tarheel Trailblazers

Reply #24 - 03/05/21 at 3:55pm
Print Post  
We've got a workday Sunday at Purser Hulsey to fix that seeping hillside Robert. Would be great to see you put in as much time with a shovel as you do keyboard.

IP Logged

indadirt

Reply #25 - 03/08/21 at 9:29am
Print Post  
Grin

IP Logged

Tom F
In The Loop

I'm ready. Get the bike.

Reply #26 - 03/08/21 at 6:42pm
Print Post  
SirNotAppearing wrote on 03/05/21 at 3:55pm:
We've got a workday Sunday at Purser Hulsey to fix that seeping hillside Robert. Would be great to see you put in as much time with a shovel as you do keyboard.

Did Robert C show up?

2011 (frame) Santa Cruz Superlight & Stumpy Comp (1999), 2017 Tallboy C RX2
22Levo

IP Logged

Robert C.
Big Ring

Leaves are the ultimate
trail maintenance tool

Reply #27 - 03/08/21 at 11:29pm
Print Post  
SirNotAppearing wrote on 03/05/21 at 3:55pm:

May want to check your PM and trail maintenance crew history before making such statements.

Roll Eyes

Nice work at PH regardless.  The drain work and stone armouring of the run in to the bridge - fantistic.

« Last Edit: 03/09/21 at 1:27am by Robert C. »  

IP Logged

TKfromNC

Reply #28 - 03/21/21 at 12:07pm
Print Post  
Perfect example for this is Beatty. Keeping the place marked closed a week after rain like its Augusta National is wild. But hey, it's turning into a really great walking trail/folding bike adventure for the neighborhoods though.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 
Print