Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Print
Normal Topic Robbin's Park and McDowell Creek trails (Read 854 times)
absentminded

Robbin's Park and McDowell Creek trails
05/05/21 at 1:34pm
Print Post  
Hi there, 
I'm new to mountain biking and the area and I appreciate all that you all do to make this sport so accessible. 
I live in the Huntersville/Cornelius area and use the McDowel Creek greenway often to run or ride. I noticed some walking trails in that area that lead to Robbin's Park and all in between. Whats the process like to create a proper trail there? Has anyone looked into it already? 

Thanks again for all you do.
Absentminded

IP Logged

absentminded

Re: Robbin's Park and McDowell Creek trails
Reply #1 - 05/05/21 at 1:37pm
Print Post  
also, here is a link of the trails between Robbin's Park and McDowell creek (You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)
absentminded wrote on 05/05/21 at 1:34pm:
Hi there, 
I'm new to mountain biking and the area and I appreciate all that you all do to make this sport so accessible. 
I live in the Huntersville/Cornelius area and use the McDowel Creek greenway often to run or ride. I noticed some walking trails in that area that lead to Robbin's Park and all in between. Whats the process like to create a proper trail there? Has anyone looked into it already? 

Thanks again for all you do.
Absentminded

IP Logged

TrillWill
IB Room
In The Loop
Project Board

THTB Board member 16'-23'
LKN TC

Reply #2 - 05/05/21 at 2:22pm
Print Post  
We would need a THTB member, experienced in trail planning, that is a Cornelius resident (those parks are run by the town) to take the lead on looking at the potential and then approaching the town parks and rec department to see if they would be open to expanding or altering the existing trails.  There is also a road coming through there in a couple years so the best time may be after that dust settles.

It would make a great place for a compact high quality trail system, with great access for families and kids.  The town does pretty good with parks budgets so if the town gave the ok, a plan/design could be put together (like at Rocky Branch Park) and submitted to the town for funding and a pro build.  Check out what they've got going at RBP!  The City is paying for most of it.  (You need to Login or Register to view media files and links) 
(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links) 
(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

-Will

Ride boards, ride bikes, ride life #shredeverything

IP Logged

TrillWill
IB Room
In The Loop
Project Board

LKN TC

Reply #3 - 05/05/21 at 2:29pm
Print Post  
In addition to the above, THTB doesn't have a current MOU to do any volunteer work on that property.  So volunteer work to build any new trail, or maintain existing, or maintain newly constructed trail wouldn't be allowed until an MOU was in place.  It may be something we could add to the existing MOU with the Mecklenburg County (who owns the property), or we may have to set one up with the town of Cornelius who manages the parks on the property.

IP Logged

absentminded

Reply #4 - 05/05/21 at 3:45pm
Print Post  
Thank you for the quick reply, Will. This is helpful information and it certainly would be a welcome change when/if it happens. Happy to collaborate/volunteer with anyone who is knowledgeable to bring this to life sooner. 
I've seen riders on the Robbin's Park trails over the last year, so needless to say people are riding it for sure. 
I need to checkout Rocky Branch Park as soon as its open.

IP Logged

TrillWill
IB Room
In The Loop
Project Board

LKN TC

Reply #5 - 05/06/21 at 11:17am
Print Post  
Oh yea folks definitely ride the existing nature trails!  I actually helped the Parks Department in Cornelius lay the red trail out when they put it in (park staff basically just blew the leaves off of it).  I was working for the town planning department at the time.   

There is definitely potential out there if a good design was put together for a trail about the length of North Meck Park (at most).  That is if a few bridges are put in over a small tributary.  I wish the road project was already done.  I feel like the town would be a little hesitant to put in a real trail system until that dust settles.  But I could be wrong!  The wooded area in between the existing red and blue trails will not be impacted by the road project.

I would help but I'm too busy with other THTB projects in my volunteer time.  If a gorup gets together to approach the town I can help make the introduction.  I stay in touch with the parks director there.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Print