Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Print
Normal Topic Broken rib? (Read 1226 times)
nightowl
Coaster Bike

Work Ride Tarheel Trailblazers

Broken rib?
05/09/21 at 5:37pm
Print Post  
Lost talent at WWC a week ago, and was able to ride out even with some discomfort. I think the handlebar may have hit me in the rib. Either way , that portion of my side still has discomfort. I wasn't really worried about it too much until I tried laying on the floor (a week later) and stretching my arms out like a cross and heard/felt a pop. I'd try it again...but don't want to. Ha.

I know there's not much you can do for rib injuries, and it takes about 4-6 weeks to heal.

Have doctor recommendations? Or just urgent care to confirm?

« Last Edit: 05/09/21 at 5:43pm by nightowl »  

IP Logged

Robert C.
Big Ring

Leaves are the ultimate
trail maintenance tool

Re: Broken rib?
Reply #1 - 05/09/21 at 7:31pm
Print Post  
SIUBC.  Give it 2-3 weeks before throwing down cash at the doc - unless you have stabbing pain or shortness of breath, in which case go in now.

« Last Edit: 05/09/21 at 7:34pm by Robert C. »  

IP Logged

nightowl
Coaster Bike

Reply #2 - 05/09/21 at 8:27pm
Print Post  
Wouldn't call it stabbing pain and I can take deep breaths. I could have shortness of breath but pollen, so dunno. Getting out of the car can be troublesome, but doable.  The injury feels "familiar..."  and i am assuming it'll just take time. (famous last words)

Beer totally fixes it.   Grin but don't make me laugh, cough, or sneeze please.
« Last Edit: 05/09/21 at 8:36pm by nightowl »  

IP Logged

Metalmok
Coaster Bike

I would rather ride than
work

Reply #3 - 05/10/21 at 7:15am
Print Post  
I have had this happen 3x. The first 2, I got pneumonia because of not breathing deeply enough. Watch out for that. Breath deep as often as you can. I have an incentive spirometer for just this purpose now. I slept sitting up on the couch for about 1.5 weeks one time because it hurt too much to lay down. 

Oh, and don't go to the chiropractor either. I was about 90% healed when he re-cracked my rib, I scared all of the other patients screaming...

Please consider the environment before you...

...play your Bluetooth speaker in the woods.

IP Logged

Scott77

Reply #4 - 05/10/21 at 6:15pm
Print Post  
Sleeping in recliner would have made a world of difference if I knew about it when I hurt mine. 
If you feel a grind/crunch when you breath, need to see Ortho.  If you have a "step" or uneven place in the rib, may need to see them as well.

IP Logged

nightowl
Coaster Bike

Reply #5 - 07/18/24 at 12:49pm
Print Post  
I ooopsied going down Beech Mtn a month ago and my arm is still giving me fits. 

It improved initially, I'm mobile and can various things, but there's still limited motion and on and off pain. Who was the doctor in Huntersville that mtn bikes?  Might try him this next go round.  Tongue  

I went to Ortha last time and they labeled me with over stressing the bursa, and stabbed with Cortisone and me to take Advil.  Grin
« Last Edit: 07/18/24 at 12:53pm by nightowl »  

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Print